Really need help with bent motherboard pins!!!

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
So a couple weeks ago I got all the parts to build my PC. (Keep in mind that this was my first build.) I built the entire PC with the help of a friend who knows a ton about building PCs. After building the entire PC, we figured out that the motherboard had a faulty RAM slot, so we RMA'd it. I RMA'd it after I had already ordered a new one, and that was because we were going on vacation for a week and it would be at my house by the time I was back. (I RMA'd the motherboard when I got back.) The second motherboard was perfectly fine and the entire computer works great. But today I got a package in the mail and it was my motherboard. I looked through my emails and found an email from newegg saying that they denied the RMA because the pins were bent beyond repair. I opened up the package and saw that half the pins are bent in the exact same direction. When I installed the CPU, I matched both arrows up and was super cautious about placing it. (I knew the risks.) So how could it be that only half of the pins are all bent in the exact direction? If all the pins were bent wouldn't the computer not boot? Here is an image of the CPU area:
bentpins.jpg
(The blue area is the pins pointed up, the red area is the pins that are slanted, and the yellow triangle is where the arrow was.) I have also found a thread where the guy has a similar problem: http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1614827.html I am hoping that the pins are supposed to be like that. I have looked at a few pictures of the motherboard on the ASUS site and google images, and the two different L's of pins are different colors. (Like in my picture.) Here's an example:
230466801.jpg
Also here is a link to my motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821&Tpk=sebertooth%20z77 So if the pins are supposed to be that way, what do I do? Do I request an RMA saying that the pins are supposed to be like that, along with the faulty RAM slot? Do I include a link to an image for proof? Sorry for the extremely long post, but I really don't want to lose $250 for no reason. I also don't want to take apart my PC to see if this motherboard has slanted pins too. Answers would be awesome, thanks.

aleichliter

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

That is what it is supposed to look like? I just looked at it and it looks like both L's of pins are pointed at each other like in the pic you linked. When I sent it back I did not put the black plastic case on top. I didn't think I was supposed to, and I couldn't figure out how to reattach it. So then what do I do now? Did they say that it had bent pins because the protector wasn't on? I am assuming that the protector is the black plastic square that was covering the socket when I got it.) Should I attach the cover and RMA it again? I think it has been over 30 days now too. A reply would be great.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, you are suppose to replace the protector cap any time there is no processor in the socket. I think it states that on the black cover. You're probably just wasting money shipping it back again. I would try to contact Newegg and present your case if you are sure the pins aren't bend as they say.
You asked, "Did they say that it had bent pins because the protector wasn't on?". I have no way of knowing that.

TRENDING THREADS