Two Mobos and some I don't knows

elijahsearle

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
Hi, I'll keep this as short as possible.
First Build, i5 3570k or 3770k (budget permits), will overclock to (hopefully 4.5ghz) via water cooling.

All that said, on my mobo I would like wifi included and at least 2 way sli PCIe 3.0 8x each.

Anyway, so the two I'm stuck between (3, if I round up more money) are the Asus P8Z77-V Pro (Pro)and Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH (UP5). If memory serves, the Pro has 12 phases (8+4) and the UP5 has 8, but it has the IR3550 and each phase is a true phase. Supposedly this equates to more stable overclocks.
The entire design of the UP5 and including "Ultra Durable 5," is supposed to have great overclocking ability and it will run much cooler than the "average" mobo. It also comes with a plx chip and a pci 1x 300mbps dual antenna wifi card. It costs $30 more however.

The UP5 hasn't been reviewed much yet, but professional reviews are raving and newegg customers seem to be pleased, however there seems to be faulty mobos going out.

The Pro, has an integrated wifi card, it's possible to have 3 way sli (I'm skeptical, as I thought nvidia cards needed 8x and not 4x). It has many great reviews and Asus' bios are great and it..haha matches the layout of the aesthetics of my case (blue uv tubing and LEDs, inside a haf x).

The ROG Maximus V Formula, sounds great, but I can't really justify buying new tubing and LED fans, water cooling the MOSFET, for $80. Maybe you can persuade me. Regardless it is a step up from the Pro.

Truly, it's the stability of my overclock that I want. I just don't know whether I'm falling for gigabyte's marketing or it's actually legit.

Thoughts?