Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Office Losing Internet Connection, Reboot Fixes?

Last response: in Networking
October 8, 2010 10:12:24 PM

Hello, one of my newer clients has an odd problem, every 2 or so days the network connection (LAN/Internet) dies out completely, only to be fixed by unplugging and replugging the modem and router.

The connection right now consists of 2 Macs and 1 PC, plus a few, (4?) old printers. The PC is running Windows 98 of all things. They're all connected via LAN cables running from a wired router that gets its connection from another wired router in another room that gets its connection from an Apple Airport, that gets ITs connection from an old modem. They all connect to the network just fine, but after about 2 days, the connection dies.

I'm really stumped as to what I can do to fix this problem. I've read that having Macs and PC's (especially PC's as archaic as this one) on the same network can sometimes scramble things up a little bit, but to be honest I don't have much of a game plan for fixing this.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

EDIT:

After rewiring the office I discovered the problem was the configuration of the Apple AirPort Extreme, which was set to disconnect all WPA key users every 24H. Changed the setting, all good.

Best solution

Anonymous
October 9, 2010 1:10:25 AM

Who could begin to troubleshoot that lot ? It's obviously grown over years with odd bits being added and needs to be deconstructed and rebuilt along much simpler lines.
October 9, 2010 5:27:14 PM

I had a feeling that the age and disarray of the office was to blame, but I felt like admitting it might just be me trying to take the easy way out. Well, thanks anyway, I'll edit the original post to explain the problem once I'm back and have solved it.
m
l
October 19, 2010 1:12:24 AM

Best answer selected by kopimi.
m
l
!