Taskbar Toolbars are Lost at Startup

July 4, 2004 4:55:09 PM

Toolbars that I add to the Taskbar are not retained after
I restart the computer. These include things like
the "Quick Start" toolbar and if I add "My Computer" as a
toolbar.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

I've tried selective startup and can't find any program
that might be causing this.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:32:35 AM

Hi,

If Method 1 does NOT solve your problem, please proceed to Method 2.

The solution involves editing the registry. Please read Microsoft's
warning BEFORE using regedit.
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Note: I suggest you save the registry settings befor making any changes.
First select the branch (eg: HKCU), then from the menu select File ->
Export. Give a name and save the file. To restore boot to safe mode and
double click the file you have saved and reboot the system to normal mode.

Method 1: (Saving taskbar settings)
=========

1. Start -> Run
2. In the Run dialog box type "Regedit" and press enter key
3. Navigate to this key and see if the following DWORD value exists with
the value of '0' exists.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
Value Name : NoMovingBands
Value Type : REG_DWORD
Value Data : 0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
r]
Value Name : NoMovingBands
Value Type : REG_DWORD
Value Data : 0

4. Exit Registry editior
5. Restart the system for the changes to take

Method 2: (Save settings on Exit)
=========
1. Start -> Run
2. In the Run dialog box type "Regedit" and press enter key
3. Navigate to this key and see if the following DWORD value exists with
the value of '0' exists.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
Value Name : NoSaveSettings
Value Type : REG_DWORD
Value Data : 0
4. Exit Registry editior
5. Restart the system for the changes to take

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
--From: "Compupix" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
--Sender: "Compupix" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
--Subject: Taskbar Toolbars are Lost at Startup
--Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 12:55:09 -0700
--Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
--
--Toolbars that I add to the Taskbar are not retained after
--I restart the computer. These include things like
--the "Quick Start" toolbar and if I add "My Computer" as a
--toolbar.
--
--Any ideas on how to solve this problem?
--
--I've tried selective startup and can't find any program
--that might be causing this.
--
July 8, 2004 6:18:20 AM

Depends on how deep rooted this is and if this pertains to the recent major
offset.

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

Quick Launch: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

--