[HELP] Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has recovered

MrsJayZ

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Hello,

I've recently bought a brand-new desktop from a well known media shop. From day one, when I first turned on my computer until now I've experienced a problem with my computer. Sometimes it randomly freezes and the mouse can't be moved, then the screen turns to black for a sec and gets back to normal giving the following error:
http://i53.tinypic.com/97uyhf.jpg

I've really searched everywhere on the internet and googled alot but I can't find a solution that works for me. If anyone can PLEASE help me out here I'd really appreciate it and if possible explain the solution in details on how to because I'm not that experienced with codes or stuff you may name :)
The symptons is mostly if i switch from a game i have on to internet or other way round, it will freeze, also sometimes if i visit youtube videos it freezes, but that doens't really happy that often.
I've got the latest Catalyst Control Centre installed, here is how mine looks like:

21ceb8p.png

Here are some specs of my desktop:

2cervpw.jpg

6o0awj.jpg

1r87ye.jpg

I really don't know how this overdrive thing works or is so if this is the problem please explain detailed.
Thanks in Advance :)

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
dont need to touch overdrive thats only if you want to increase the performance of your graphic card or brake it seems you got a pretty good pc there try to update drivers if not i had a little problem like that before. my motherboard died and had to get a new one placed all parts on it connected it up but then soon after it would freeze at some points and get errors all i did was wipe and restore windows that did the trick.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I used to have the same problem (what is causing your problem may be different though). I had an inadequate power supply for my HD 4850 plus the rest of the system. It was a cheapo 500w raidmax PSU, although it would run my HD 4770 just fine with the 4850 the display driver would crash on multiple instances which weren't even graphic intensive.

You could try using driver sweeper in safe mode to completely remove the catalyst drivers then do a fresh install, but I wouldn't bank on it fixing your problem.

MrsJayZ

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I really don't know what is causing it. Maybe i didn't download a program / drive orso since it\s new?
Do i need a specefic programm installed?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

You should increase idle memory clock speed from 300 to 400. Can you do that ?

I had a similar problem with my Radeon HD5770 card. The idle core and memory clocks were originally 157 and 300 MHz. I increased them to 209 and 400 MHz and the problem disappeared.

Your GPU clock seems O.K. Therefore, you only need to increase memory clock.

MrsJayZ

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
So far I've downloaded Adobe Flash Player since i didn't have that downloaded and I haven't had that warning popped up YET. Will keep updated in a bit :)

MrsJayZ

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

What do you mean with PSU? Where can i check that? :)

MrsJayZ

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

I'm sorry but i don't see memory clock from 300. Mine is at 800 from 1000 isnt it?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
On overDrive page under Current Values (pls. see the picture you presented in your first post), you see Memory clock 300. This is the current value of Memory chips when your gfx card is at idle status. 800 is the max value that is attained when you are running graphic-intensive applications.

These idle values may not be a problem for your system. But I have been experiencing this pixellated screen problem from day one when I had built my PC. It has been more than one and a half year and I have lived the same problem with every driver set released by ATI since version 9.11. I have installed 20 each driver packages till now and the same problem has shown up at core/memory clock combination of 157/300 for my card Sapphire Radeon HD5770. 209/400 is the answer. Maybe I can go lower but it is not worth the trouble.

This is the reason why I am suggesting you to increase the memory clock.

The pixelation problem sounds like a damaged card. They aren't supposed to do that. I have received 2 cards out of the box that did that over the years, it always went away with a replacement.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
That first screen is simply for overclocking not for adjusting idle speed (only for adjusting clocks during 3D mode). I agree with the other person if he had to turn those to anything below stock speeds to get rid of pixelation then he just has a faulty card.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I think the word "pixellation" which I used to describe the phenomenon is incorrect. My monitor screen was being covered with multicolored dots (which I call pixellation) for a couple of seconds followed by blackening of the screen and then an explanation was appearing in the system tray "AMD Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

This was happening when I was doing nothing serious on my PC, just browsing the internet or moving a folder window from left to right or watching the beautiful wallpaper, etc.

This was all happening if I left the default idle (some people call 2D) speeds of 157/300 intact. If I increase them to 209/400, which I immediately do after installing a new AMD driver set, I never ever experienced what I call maybe incorrectly pixellation again.

That is what I thought you meant, except for the driver stopping. The curious part is that this doesn't happen for hardly anyone else. I wonder what it is about your system that causes this...what type of monitor do you use and what refresh rate?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I used an LCD monitor first. Now I am using an LED monitor. Refresh rate is 60 Hz. I only use single monitor. This problem happens to a lot of people.

I have Asus P7P55D mb, Intel i7-860 cpu, Antec Neo Blue 650 W psu, OCZ 120 GB SSD, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, etc.

The problem happens only if I leave default idle speeds of 157 core/300 memory clocks intact. As soon as I increase them to 209/400, the problem disappears. Strange.

I do not make a big issue of it as long as I have the solution.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Sorry for late reply.

When I used LCD monitor, the resolution was 1280 by 1024. I had the problem. Now I am using LED monitor with 1920 by 1080 resolution. I still have the problem. Unless I increase idle clocks, the problem is always there irregardless of monitor resolution.

jengroomer

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I am having this issue too. The PC is new as of last December. Just started about a month ago with this same error you speak of.
Company has:
replaced mother board
hard drive
video card

Updated drivers, bios, windows etc etc. everything that could be installed, reinstalled, uninstalled and updated.
Still the error persists.

I'm at my wits end!!

Lead_Ensign

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

I have done a lot of research about this problem (which I am experiencing far too often). I need to increase my idle memory speed. Please explain how to do that. Seriously, stop asking dumb questions everybody and let him post an answer!