Please i need help fast RAM issues

Thazzrill

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Ok so i have a huge problem and been having it for months now. Here is basicly what happened, i have my pc for around 3-4 yrs now, and it all worked fine but around 2 months ago i started getting BSOD, then another and another and it kept getting frequent then i couldnt even turn the pc on for a while, so i didn`t know what to do, then i took out 1 ram and it worked everything worked fine. I have ddr2, and only 2 slots, so i place the rams in any slot they work but when they are together i get BSOD.

Anyway update, so today i`ve upgraded to 64 bit windows, and now i hoped tht it will finally work so i tried both ram at the same time. And something really weird happened. Basicly i`ve placed the 2gb one into left and it worked, i`ve placed 1 gb into left and it worked, but then i checked right i placed both of them in right and here is what i got.
I don`t remember excatly but it went something like this:
"Boot block version 0.20
Please DO NOT insert cd
BIOS checksum
Looking for usb devices
looking for cd roms"

Anyway it said something like checksum is corrupted. I haven`t got this before. Before both slots worked but now i get this error. The thing is i don`t think the problem is compatibility because they have worked just fine for the past years, but it all started suddenly. I really don`t know what to do, im stuck with 2gb and i can`t do anything with that, im planning to buy a new motherboard in future but i need to fix this now.

Also when i placed both sometimes i would just get no signal on the monitor and like 3-4 beeps and then still nothing happens on the screen.
Anyway i would really really really appreciate any help because i am stuck for months and i don`t think 64 bit is going to work good on 2 gb of RAM.

Thazzrill

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Please i really need help fast i am so stuck, and i don`t want to take my pc to warranty and lose my pc for another 1.5 months :(

Install CPU-Z and tell us what memory modules you have (SPD tab) and the timings (Memory tab). That info could also be found/modified in the BIOS configuration. Why would you lose the PC for 1.5 months if you get it fixed?

Can you explain what you mean by "... but then i checked right i placed both of them in right and here is what i got."? Do you mean that no module works when installed in the right slot? If so, then the motherboard is faulty or there's dust in the slot (inspect it carefully with a magnifier glass).

Thazzrill

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hmm i have 2 slots left and right, i placed both rams like i tried with 1gb in left and it worked i tried with 2gb in left it worked but when i placed them in left i would get that, or my pc wouldn`t even turn on at all.

To clear up the confusion, the left slot (closest to the CPU) is #1 and the right slot is #2.

Is this what you did?

Slot #1 - 1GB
Slot #2 - Empty
Success

Slot #1 - 2GB
Slot #2 - Empty
Success

Slot #1 - Empty
Slot #2 - 1GB
Failure

Slot #1 - Empty
Slot #2 - 2GB
Failure

Any combination where both slots are filled causes a system failure.

Thazzrill

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Yes thats excatly what happens, but when its in slot #2 i get the BIOS error, but before when i managed to boot the pc with both i would get BSOd if not immediatly then in 5 min.

It would be easy to presume that slot #2 is defective, but knowing exactly what modules you have would be helpful. You may need to manually set the voltage or timings. You may also have a module that's a bit flaky, etc. Did you run memtest86+ for a few hours on each module?

Thazzrill

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hmm i never run a memtest, but i just installed the Cpu z thing and here is what i have from here.
f1w6sj.png

Thazzrill

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hmm...idk how can i check, i can choose between 2 slots there but when i change to slot 1 it says blank. Should i turn off my pc and add the 1gb one?

Thazzrill

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hmm, i`ve tried to put it in the 1st slot and it went weird like you know that sound when the pc turns on the beep doesn`t happen, just the fans turn off and thats about it, nothing on the screen, but before it worked with both but i got bsod when they are both together. And i`ve took a small dust ball from the 1st ram, does that even matter can dust screw it up?