Homebuild Compatibility Check

aaronsiu

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hi, i'm building a new 700 budget pc from scratch. Wondering if my parts (see below) will have compatibility issues?

Video Card: PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

CPU Motherboard: Intel Core™ i5-2500K Processor Bundle w/ Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard

Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream 2 Ultra-Quiet 600W Power Supply (OCZ600SXS2)

RAM: Corsair XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL7 DIMMs, Optimized for Core i7, i5 and Core 2 (CMX4GX3M1A1600C7)

P.s. any recommendations on a case? Something in the $100-$150 range.

Thanks!!! =)

Solution
Crossfire is the term used for using two AMD Radeon graphic cards in conjunction with each other. In theory, you get the performance of two graphic cards. In reality, it's more like one and a quarter to one and a half, depending on the game.

Will it make a large difference? Maybe, maybe not. Again, that depends on the game, what resolution you're gaming at, and what setting you have turned on. Since you stated you're building a "budget" pc, I didn't consider that you wanted a Crossfire system.

I think what Chily means is that the power supply may not have sufficient power (wattage) to run two of those graphic cards. Additionally, you wouldn't want to use that motherboard for a Crossfire rig as the second PCI-Ex16 slot is only wired...

chilypepper

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Looks good, but you won't be able to crossfire the 6850 with that psu. But overall its good, make sure you have your cd dvd drive and hard drive along with sata cables for them. And I recommend the cooler master elite 430, its a great case with adequat room and a small overall size. Good cooling, easy installation of everything. Good luck!

aaronsiu

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

First off, thanks a lot for your time and post. I appreciate it. However you said that I will not be able to crossfire with my PSU, I am a little new to the PC building scene and unfamiliar with the significance of crossfire, so will that make a large difference to gaming performance? Also is the problem due to the brand? Type of PSU? or insufficient watts?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Crossfire is the term used for using two AMD Radeon graphic cards in conjunction with each other. In theory, you get the performance of two graphic cards. In reality, it's more like one and a quarter to one and a half, depending on the game.

Will it make a large difference? Maybe, maybe not. Again, that depends on the game, what resolution you're gaming at, and what setting you have turned on. Since you stated you're building a "budget" pc, I didn't consider that you wanted a Crossfire system.

I think what Chily means is that the power supply may not have sufficient power (wattage) to run two of those graphic cards. Additionally, you wouldn't want to use that motherboard for a Crossfire rig as the second PCI-Ex16 slot is only wired for x4 throughput.

From the Details Tab on Newegg's web site for your selected motherboard:
Expansion Slots

PCI Express 2.0 x16
2 (x16, x4)

PCI Express x1

PCI Slots

If you intend to go Crossfire, look for a motherboard that has two (or more) PCI-Ex16 slots where the second PCI-Ex16 slot has x8 throughput.

-Wolf sends

Solution

aaronsiu

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

All the confusing gray haze in my head is cleared now! Thank you very much Mr.Wolf