Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Simulator and also home theater which would you recommend? http://www.nextwareho

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2011 4:56:16 PM

Setting up a golf simulator, one 21" HD touch screen to drive the system, and an overhead projector (JVC HD450). Will play some games and also attach PS3 for the kids. Which computer system would you recommend?
1)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755570-REG/Cyberp...

2)
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?1059348

Thanks for the help. I am not a gamer, but thought you guys would be able to help on the graphics side which is very important to me.
a c 132 U Graphics card
June 14, 2011 6:59:28 PM

I guess it depends on the golf simulation package you're wanting to install and use. I just looked at the Optishot Infrared Golf Simulator and it's specifications for a graphics card are pretty minimal (Geforce 6200).

You state that you'll play some games and then later state you're not a gamer. Can you clarify? If you are going to play some games (or install some games for the kids), then what games? There's a big difference between Crysis 2, World of Warcraft, and Windows Minesweeper. ;-)

Also, you say you want to connect it to an overhead projector (JVC HD450). Can you provide a link? When I search, all I'm getting are camcorders.

If it's strictly a choice between only those two computers, I'd probably go with the cheapest (BH Photo Video). However, if possible, I would definitely build it myself.

-Wolf sends

June 15, 2011 1:51:37 AM

2378787,2,86610 said:
I guess it depends on the golf simulation package you're wanting to install and use. I just looked at the Optishot Infrared Golf Simulator and it's specifications for a graphics card are pretty minimal (Geforce 6200).

You state that you'll play some games and then later state you're not a gamer. Can you clarify? If you are going to play some games (or install some games for the kids), then what games? There's a big difference between Crysis 2, World of Warcraft, and Windows Minesweeper. ;-)

Also, you say you want to connect it to an overhead projector (JVC HD450). Can you provide a link? When I search, all I'm getting are camcorders.

If it's strictly a choice between only those two computers, I'd probably go with the cheapest (BH Photo Video). However, if possible, I would definitely build it myself.

-Wolf sends[/quotemsg

Wolf:
Sorry, here is the projector:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-HD550.htm
The games played currently are PS3 type, Tiger Woods, ect. I will never get into the any of the games you mentioned above or even anything similar as they seem to be pretty intense. I will be adding a TV card to the system, if that matters. I built the Golf Simulator souround and electrical, ect, but have never ventured into building a computer. Sounds fairly simple, but I have no clue as far as what parts are compatible. How much money can one save building one yourself?
Related resources
June 15, 2011 1:53:40 AM

One other thing, the golf unit is a P3Pro, and currently does not have camera's (for viewing the golf swing) installed, but hope to in the future.
a c 132 U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 1:52:24 PM

Ok. The minimum specifications for the P3Pro Golf Simulator are similar to that of the Optishot. It actually mentions Geforce 3/4 series cards (about 9 generations old). Pretty much any modest, modern graphics card will handle the P3Pro.

The projector looks to have two HDMI ports as well as Component video inputs. Shouldn't be a problem connecting both your computer and PS3.

As it turns out, doing a price comparison against the components in the computer from BH Photo and similar components from Newegg comes about even, so it's pretty much a coin toss. If you can reconfigure (or select a similar model) from either of those companies with a lesser graphics card (say HD 6770 or HD6670), you should be able to save a little bit of cash and it's still more than enough for your intended usage.

Just for reference, here's a build I would consider:

Case: Rosewill Challenger Black - $49.99
Power Supply: Antec BP550 550watt - $64.99
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61 - $84.99
CPU: Intel Core I5 2500 - $209.99
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) - $77.99
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 6750 - $105.99
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - $59.99
Optical Drive: LG DVD Burner 24x - $19.99
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - $89.99

Total Cost (shipped): $772.93

In my opinion, the graphics card is still overkill for the P3Pro Golf Simulator, but I like having some overhead. The motherboard isn't as feature rich as others, but then if you don't need those features (and you won't) why pay for them? The processor is the same as the one listed in the BH Photo system with the exception of it not being overclock-able (again, not a feature you'll need). The power supply is from a quality manufacturer and is more than sufficient for the graphics card I listed. The rest of the system is comparable to the BH Photo system.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Forgot to ask: what input connections does your 21" HD Touch Screen have/require? The graphics card I listed has an HDMI and DVI output, but you may need to add an adapter (DVI to VGA or DVI to HDMI) depending on your needs.
June 15, 2011 2:57:03 PM

Wolf,

Thanks for your thoughts. The touch screen is:

Acer T231H 23" LCD Touchscreen Monitor - 1920 x 1080 - 16:9 - 2 ms - Adjustable Display Angle - 16.7 Million Colors - 80000:1 - 300 Nit - Speakers - DVI - HDMI - VGA - Black - Energy Star - ET.VT1HP.001

My audio receiver has 4 HDMI IN and 1 HDMI out. I was planning to send the HDMI out from the receiver to the video projector, and use a DVI cable directly from the card to the touchscreen. Both of these distances are about 24' of cable. This gives me 4 input options, one for the PS3, one for the computer, one for a camcorder, and a spare. Will the HDMI and DVI drive the projector and the touchscreen simultaneously?

I will look into the system you mentioned above. I have read a few build sites to see if I feel comfortable with the process, and it seems really simple, but I seem to always find ways to complicate things. Saving $180 would be worth the2-3 hours it takes to put one together. Once assembled, is there any trick to starting the computer with no software?

Best solution

a c 132 U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 3:50:31 PM

Quote:
Acer T231H 23" LCD Touchscreen Monitor

With the connection set up you laid out, you shouldn't run into any problems.

Quote:
Will the HDMI and DVI drive the projector and the touchscreen simultaneously?

Yes. There are two options for running dual monitors. "Clone Mode" will display the same desktop on both the monitor and the projector. "Extended Mode" (usually used for side-by-side monitors) does just like it sounds. Your desktop is extended to the width of both displays.

Quote:
I will look into the system you mentioned above. I have read a few build sites to see if I feel comfortable with the process, and it seems really simple, but I seem to always find ways to complicate things. Saving $180 would be worth the2-3 hours it takes to put one together.

Probably the best advice I could give here would be to start another forum thread here in the "Systems" subsection, using the following guide for requesting new build assistance:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

Other forum members will chime in with their ideas on builds. You may want to include links to the minimum system requirements page of the P3Pro Swing Analyzer and maybe a link to this thread so others have a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish.

As far as the actual build goes, there are literally thousands of how-to guides and videos all over the Internet. Google is your fried here. Some suggestions: "How to install a CPU", "How to install computer memory"

The last bit of advice I'd give is to download and read through a motherboard's manual (normally found on a manufacturer's support site). As an example:

Click the link I provided above for the ASUS motherboard. This brings you to Newegg's shopping site.
Click on the Details tab. Now, on the right side of the page, under Manufacturer Contact Info, you should see a link for Manufacturer Product Page. Click this link. This normally brings you to that manufacturer's web page for that product.
In this case, it does, so click on the Downloads tab and then select Windows 7 64-bit as your OS. This opens the tab for all the downloads you could need for this particular motherboard (including the manual).
Download the english version of the manual and give it a read through. Of course, you can do this with most any motherboard any of the other forum goers suggest. If something in the manual doesn't make sense, come back here and ask!

Quote:
Once assembled, is there any trick to starting the computer with no software?

Yes. You need to stand up, put the middle finger of your left hand atop your head, spin around counter-clockwise three times saying "buggeda-buggeda" :D 

Seriously, though. No special tricks. Part of the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) of the motherboard includes a "Boot Order". This tells the system the order of devices to check for bootable drive (Hard Drive, CD/DVD-ROM, USB, etc...). When you first turn on your system, it (obviously) won't find a bootable drive and error out. It will probably say something like "No Boot Device Found". It's at this point that you insert the Windows 7 OS DVD. Restart your system at this point and this time, it will find the bootable OS DVD and start the installation of Windows 7.

-Wolf sends
June 15, 2011 3:54:36 PM

Best answer selected by golfguy.
June 15, 2011 3:54:40 PM

Thanks for all your help
!