A business desktop

sn1per

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hi,

I need a new business computer for simple three tasks.

1. Run low processing power consuming softwares. E.g. Tally, Word, Excel sheet.
2. Surf Internet. E.g. Chrome browser with atmost 10 tabs.
3. Download data and upload data. I have a 4 mbps connection, paltry to many a boon in India.

The computer will stay ON all the time 24x7x365.

Kindly let me know the best mix of components. Also which is the best anti-virus on market today. I am making a comeback to PC world while I was feeling the bliss of iOS tab ;)

Thank you all!

Solution
Best reccomendation: a Llano build, A6 should be a good build for you.

Don't know prices in India, but the parts should be something like:

AMD A6 or A8 Llano
ASUS/ASRock/Gigabyte F1 Motherboard
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
350-400W 80+ Bronze PSU from a reputable company
a Case to your tastes
a cheap DVD burner

Optionally a 64GB SSD as a boot drive to make everything lighting fast
Best reccomendation: a Llano build, A6 should be a good build for you.

Don't know prices in India, but the parts should be something like:

AMD A6 or A8 Llano
ASUS/ASRock/Gigabyte F1 Motherboard
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
350-400W 80+ Bronze PSU from a reputable company
a Case to your tastes
a cheap DVD burner

Optionally a 64GB SSD as a boot drive to make everything lighting fast

Solution

sn1per

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Thanks ScrewySqrl; I will give AMD a shot, never tried them earlier.

As the computer is ON always, will the SMPS of 350-400W hold good? Will the SSD hold good for rapid download/upload cycles. We wont have heavy data stored onto the HDD so a relatively cheaper but rugged SSD will do. Please suggest your preferred one.

COLGeek: I am looking for a low budget computer but wont be penny wise pound foolish. I want a problem free PC experience, can't afford to have it down even for a minute.

Thanks!

sn1per

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
^Sir dont mind, but Dell are the worst Desktops I have ever encountered, maybe it is just between Dell and me. I had last year bought a i5 Dell and it had lots of heating and upgrade issues. Some companies skins the people buying their products, in my humble opinion.

Do you recommend Celeron processors in current generation of i3 or llano's A6?

Thank you for the SSD tip, I too think it will be fancy not necessary part. 7200rpm 512GB HDD with 3GB/s interface will be more than sufficient for my needs.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I understand your concerns, but I have had other experiences with the Dell office grade systems. I, literally, have thousands of them (Optiplex and Inspiron) in my organization and we have had minimal issues. That being said, an HP or Lenovo can also be configured to meet your needs. I have some of both of those as well.

Keep in mind that business/office class machines are made to operate long hours and are usually very quiet as well. Unlike consumer/gaming systems, the BIOS options are very limited and don't allow for any overclocking or features that can make the system unstable.

The US link for HP small business class desktops is below:

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse;pgid=W7BQvTx05pRSR0Q3Ego3tL7x0000YdIaHQRk;sid=p6N4ylgayrR6yhZWqcayXoEVda1Au517pAU=?CatalogCategoryID=amYQ7EN5SqEAAAExo5RT3iky

the best option is to choose a high quality PSU, which can handle long term, 24-7 use. Antec, SeaSonic, XFX, Xigmatek, OCZ, Corsair, Enermax, Silverstone, are all good brands. The 350-400W will handle any PC running on its on-board GPU.

sn1per

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Thank you ColGeek and ScrewySqrl

I am going to get one made with the specification you mentioned. Col: Company made PCs are still fleecing India, thus those are now not being considered.

Thank you for your time and honest opinions.