1 GB Radeon 6850 shows only 737 MB of VRAM in dxdiag

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I can't seem to find an answer on google. Anyway, I recently built a new system, using this Radeon 6850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353&cm_re=6850-_-14-125-353-_-Product and this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130583&cm_re=msi_p67a_g43-_-13-130-583-_-Product motherboard.

The problem is that dxdiag and other hardware scanning utilities say that I only have ~737 MB of video memory. Is this typical behavior or is something wrong? If needed, the whole dxdiag is here http://pastebin.com/DECfNApg
9 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6850 shows vram dxdiag
  1. How much Ram do you have and whats the Operating system ? Also does the MoBo have on board Graphics could it be reporting that ?
    Mactronix :)
  2. OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    RAM: 8 GB

(both of those are right at the top of the dxdiag :D )

Anyway, while looking at the dxdiag thing again, I saw a more detailed description of the video memory than are shown in the GUI. Here's the relevant portion:

Quote:
    Display Memory: 737 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1008 MB
    Shared Memory: 3825 MB

Is the actual 6850 memory represented by the dedicated memory portion? If so, I feel very silly :)
  3. check your bios settings make sure your igp is disabled and that the main gpu is selected as pci-e or however it reads in bios... do you have a clean driver installed?
  4. it looks like its telling you 737mb is available, the rest is being used by some other program like windows Aero or whatever else you have open. you have 1008mb total which is correct.
  5. kvothe said:
    RAM: 8 GB

(both of those are right at the top of the dxdiag :D )

Anyway, while looking at the dxdiag thing again, I saw a more detailed description of the video memory than are shown in the GUI. Here's the relevant portion:

Quote:

Is the actual 6850 memory represented by the dedicated memory portion? If so, I feel very silly :)

I never bother reading those, big wall of text most of it pointless.
    You dont have an issue every thing is as it should be.

6. Could be something related to shared video ram.
  7. It could be Windows aero, but the display memory shown in the dxdiag didn't change when I switched to the Windows Classic theme.

Anyway, my mobo doesn't have an onboard video chipset. Here's the info you wanted:

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x6739)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_21F81458&REV_00
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: ASUS VH242H
    Monitor Id: ACI24F3
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: DVI
  8. Thanks! Guess I was just being paranoid. Any idea why the display memory is so low?
  9. I told him that 9 posts ago :kaola:

Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon DxDiag Graphics Product