Sign in with
Your question

GPU to blame?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2011 7:59:52 PM

I have had some strange BSOD lately all with different issues. I have updated my bios and since that, my original (the drivers that came with the nvidia card) drivers would be unstable in the system, causing a BSOD with irql_not_less_or_equal. I also had many artifacts on my screen including sudden system freeze, where half my screen was black and the other half normal. This lasted a few seconds then everything was normal but after a minute the computer would freeze forcing me to do a hard reset.

In light of this i decided to update my drivers to the very latest, while i was updating i got a BSOD and decided to uninstall the drivers again and reinstall them, the second time around i was able get it installed, no BSOD. Now i dont get the massive instability that happened when i had the old drivers installed, instead what happens is when i'm doing something that graphically intensive it will for example, in bad company 2 it will flash the screen really fast with black flashes repeatedly (after a few hrs play) until it randomly decides to stop. In starcraft 2 (usually after 30 minutes), the system will hang, the only thing that works when this happens is the audio, i cant even get ctrl+alt+del task manager to open, forcing a hard reset.

In the odd chance that it doesn't crash or hang during play, it will 90% of them time hang and freeze (with only audio working), right after i exit a program that taxes the GPU, such as Starcraft2 or Bad Company 2 (as examples), but it also does it with Maya 2012 while rendering in mental ray which isn't good for me that it happens then.

I ran memtest86 i tested all 10GB and it did not fail any of the tests ( 6GB i just installed 6 days ago).
Ran new Vid card drivers from the Nvidia website
Bios updated

Running Vista 64bit Home premium
10GB RAM
800w ATX power supply
i7 920 @ 2.67
MB: Gigabyte ex58-ud4p
GPU: Nvidia GTX 260 by EVGA

i have mini dump files available if someone could point out to me how to insert them in this forum.
Anyways hope this helps (info wise) i just want to know if the GPU is slowly dying on me.

More about : gpu blame

a b Î Nvidia
June 15, 2011 2:44:34 AM

you should get HWmonitor to monitor the temps. something may be overheating. If it is overheating you can use MSI afterburner to crank up the fan speed.
m
l
June 15, 2011 2:48:49 AM

I just downloaded and installed not to long ago SpeedFan, everything seems to be around the ranges of 38C - 43C, except for the GPU that idles at 48-49C and when playing a game jumps to 69-73C. I dont know if that is normal or not but i read that video cards usually get that hot under stress and that it should be ok to be around 75-85C, but ofc i could be wrong.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 12:13:02 AM

UPDATE: I upgraded my OS to Windows 7 Home premium and updated everything i could, including MOBO drivers, mouse, keyboard, NIC card, did all windows updates related to windows 7. The problem still persist but i dont get a legitimate BSOD, instead my computer hangs with no warning, just freezes, i can hear sounds and i'm still connected to the internet. I know this because i was on Skype one of the times it froze and i could still talk to the person and that required being and using an active internet connection. So i dont think its sound or internet related. I used EVGA OC scanner to check my video card and ran a 1hr stress test which brought my GPU to 86C and it ran the test without freezing, i also used furmark and did 15 bench mark test and it only froze in one occasion, but i retried the same test that froze it up and it passed it.

I looked in the event viewer and got nothing, but in safe mode i get these error in event viewer about the same time the hang-up occured.

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}

And then

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
discache
spldr
Wanarpv6

what are these drivers in bold i have got no clue :( 
can they be the culprit?
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:13:42 AM

Salequin,

Did you resolve this? I have a similar problem with my PC. Just installed an ATI Radeon HD 5450 on my win7 64-bit machine. It locks up like yours when I install the video card software package.

I installed the minimal drivers and it works for regular browsing, until I play a flash video then it locks up again. Mouse, keyboard, everything...

Eventvwr shows "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}"

Frustrating.

-Neil
m
l
February 17, 2012 8:13:18 PM

Yes actually i did, and it was exactly what i thought i was, the video card. I ended up getting my Video Card that was defective and tested on a friends Rig and it did the exact same thing. So immediately i knew that was the problem. I bought a gtx560 and never had a single issue since i switched them.
m
l
!