Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade CPU or motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs

Which do i upgrade too?

Total: 8 votes (6 blank votes)

• ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI Skt AM2+ ATX Motherboard w/HDMI, Video, Audio, GbLAN & RAID
  • 50 %
  • ASUS Crosshair II Formula NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI Socket AM2+ ATX Motherboard w/HDMI & Dual GbLAN
  • 0 %
  • Athlon II x4 655
  • 50 %
November 15, 2011 5:40:10 PM

Ok first off thanks for reading this, But lets get to the point. :cry: 
So im at a fork in the road to upgrade my system, Ill have my specs below. But im wondering which should i get? (im on a limited budget)
Its between these for MOBOS:
OPT 1:: ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI Skt AM2+ ATX Motherboard w/HDMI, Video, Audio, GbLAN & RAID
Or
OPT 2:: ASUS Crosshair II Formula NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI Socket AM2+ ATX Motherboard w/HDMI & Dual GbLAN
(Ill still have enough to buy 4Gb DDR2 for the boards if i go that route)

Or if i choose a New CPU id buy a Athlon II x4 655

I can only buy one or the other...
My specs now are:
Biostar A770E
Athlon II x2 255 @ 3.87ghz Liquid cooled
GTS 450 & HD 3870 (switch off)
550w Inland PSU 28A

I do heavy gaming... like ARMA 2, gta 4, Source games etc..
November 15, 2011 5:48:25 PM

The reason im stuck is because im not dumb, most people would be like quad core.. because its a quad core, but if you look into the facts a Highend motherboard will give you almost adequet performance boost as a better CPU and not to mention i could hit like 4.5Ghz with that board! :D  And the option to add SLi into my life is like a wholly shizz in my book... Not to mention 3 way SLi
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 297 V Motherboard
November 15, 2011 6:52:04 PM

Personally I'd not go with any of those mobos or CPU now, those mobo are years back of the current generation and you will be limited with those mobos to DDR2 and some AM3 CPUs. I suggest you save the money and use it in future for a biggest upgrade like mobo + RAM and after a new CPU.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2011 7:01:52 PM

^+1

If you already have a 7xx series mobo why would upgrade to another 7xx series mobo?Just doesn't seem senseable to me.Theirs really no upgrade paths by going with that.

I've been there, from a 770 series mobo to a 890FXA mobo and let me tell you I didn't expierence any higher of an O.C.(I figure it's only on the really high end mobo")Only in the most optimal settings will you see such an increase of what your thinking of(I was thinking the same when i upgraded).It's just not probable.

What is your budget and i'll lay some thing out for you!!!!(I'm findin the deals cause of christmas :) )
November 15, 2011 7:11:49 PM

Fanbars said:
The reason im stuck is because im not dumb, most people would be like quad core.. because its a quad core, but if you look into the facts a Highend motherboard will give you almost adequet performance boost as a better CPU and not to mention i could hit like 4.5Ghz with that board! :D  And the option to add SLi into my life is like a wholly shizz in my book... Not to mention 3 way SLi

it is always the cpu + vga that gives you an edge in gaming, why do you want to go back while you can use the money for a current gen cpu that suites ur budget and it will be better and faster in processing than old generations.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2011 8:12:17 PM

Nope, none of those seem worthwhile. Save your money for a complete overhaul.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2011 3:26:07 AM

purple stank said:
If you already have a 7xx series mobo why would upgrade to another 7xx series mobo?

I wouldn't even call it an "upgrade". More like a normal "grade". :p 
November 17, 2011 5:51:18 AM

Get something worth it like a 965 and a new am3+ mobo buddy. I'm doing that on my personal ''jew'' machine for 330$.
!