Sign in with
Your question

PC Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2011 8:37:54 PM

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with my PC, basically with my newest GPU [Gigabyte gtx 570 soc] my computer will only switch on for a split second and the fans will start to spin then instantly switch off, the PC runs fine with no gpu or my older 8800 gt.
I have used the gtx 570 for about 5 months with no problems and also I have since upgraded my mobo and cpu to an i7 and a sandybridge mobo and have the same issue on this.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this and if the GPU is knackerd or could it be PSU ? the gpu was previously running on the same PSU i am still using.

Thanks for any help / input

More about : problem

a b U Graphics card
June 14, 2011 8:47:48 PM

It sounds like it's probably your 570. Hopefully your warranty is still active?

It could maybe be your PSU. I kind of doubt it. Your PSU has enough power run your 8800 just fine. This indicates that, if there is a PSU problem, the PSU has retained a lot of its efficiency. If this were the case, I would expect it to boot fine with the 570 installed and then crash once you started to stress the GPU.
June 14, 2011 8:51:15 PM

Thanks for the responce, I agree it sounds like my 570 is the problem which sucks as I paid over £200 for it late December and just got done spending £500 to upgrade to an i7, Will have a look how to go about contacting Gigabyte for warranties
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 14, 2011 9:00:12 PM

Just to be clear, you had this problem before your upgrade to your i7, right?

If your PSU was barely adequate for your old system and then you switched to a more power-hungry CPU, maybe that put you over the PSU limit.

I kind of doubt this, though. "underpowered" systems usually boot or get well into booting and then crash.
June 14, 2011 9:02:14 PM

I happend to get this issue the same day I ordered my new PSU and mobo, so yes i had it on my old system aswell.
a b U Graphics card
June 14, 2011 9:05:14 PM

Gotcha. Good luck with the 570 RMA. :( 
a c 130 U Graphics card
June 14, 2011 9:09:10 PM

It is most probably the PSU.
The 570 uses a lot and i mean a lot more power than even a 8800GTX never mind a 8800GT. I would be amazed if a PC that was to run a 8800GT was spec'd with a PSU capable of running a 570
Its quite possible for it to boot and run for a while as has been said but its been stressing the PSU and now its had it.
What PSU is it ?

Mactronix :) 
June 15, 2011 2:47:57 PM

Spoke to the company I bought the card from who said they will do an RMA, however the card is discontinued on their site so id need to pick one with a similar or same price tag and im struggling to find one that looks as good, At least they will do an RMA it seems :) 
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 3:22:51 PM

Nice. Keep us posted.
!