PC Problem

Robb1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hi Guys,

I have an issue with my PC, basically with my newest GPU [Gigabyte gtx 570 soc] my computer will only switch on for a split second and the fans will start to spin then instantly switch off, the PC runs fine with no gpu or my older 8800 gt.
I have used the gtx 570 for about 5 months with no problems and also I have since upgraded my mobo and cpu to an i7 and a sandybridge mobo and have the same issue on this.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this and if the GPU is knackerd or could it be PSU ? the gpu was previously running on the same PSU i am still using.

Thanks for any help / input

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
It sounds like it's probably your 570. Hopefully your warranty is still active?

It could maybe be your PSU. I kind of doubt it. Your PSU has enough power run your 8800 just fine. This indicates that, if there is a PSU problem, the PSU has retained a lot of its efficiency. If this were the case, I would expect it to boot fine with the 570 installed and then crash once you started to stress the GPU.

Robb1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks for the responce, I agree it sounds like my 570 is the problem which sucks as I paid over £200 for it late December and just got done spending £500 to upgrade to an i7, Will have a look how to go about contacting Gigabyte for warranties

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Just to be clear, you had this problem before your upgrade to your i7, right?

If your PSU was barely adequate for your old system and then you switched to a more power-hungry CPU, maybe that put you over the PSU limit.

I kind of doubt this, though. "underpowered" systems usually boot or get well into booting and then crash.

Robb1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I happend to get this issue the same day I ordered my new PSU and mobo, so yes i had it on my old system aswell.

It is most probably the PSU.
The 570 uses a lot and i mean a lot more power than even a 8800GTX never mind a 8800GT. I would be amazed if a PC that was to run a 8800GT was spec'd with a PSU capable of running a 570
Its quite possible for it to boot and run for a while as has been said but its been stressing the PSU and now its had it.
What PSU is it ?

Mactronix :)

Robb1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Spoke to the company I bought the card from who said they will do an RMA, however the card is discontinued on their site so id need to pick one with a similar or same price tag and im struggling to find one that looks as good, At least they will do an RMA it seems :)