What if you could mix games?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

I'm reading more and more reviews that describe the game by comparing it
to one or more other games. For instance, one review of Punisher I saw
said "it's like Max Payne without Bullet Time"

So, what if you could mix&match your favorite games and franchises
together? Some might sound outlandish, but then again, there was Square
and Disney's combined effort to create the popular Kingdom Hearts series.
Other companies have taken a proven franchise and a proven format to
create a themed-knock-off - like Simpson's Hit & Run, or the 2nd Spiderman
game. Both use a GTA-esque open city with missions you can complete to
move the story forward, or you can just play around town.

What would you create? Would it be serious, or silly or just plain wrong?

My examples:

Super GTA Bros: Gangsta's, mushrooms, stomping ho's and takin' their
money. Sounds like something by Eminem.

Warthog Kart Racer: I actually heard something like this was planned as a
mini-game for Halo or Halo2, but scrapped at the last minute.

Super Smash Sims: The greatest frat party in meets the greatest bar
brawl... Create your own character and "go to town"

Kingdom Hearts XVolley Ball: Yeah, as if Disney would ever allow their
characters to strip down to their beachwear and play volley ball...

What would you come up with?

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> I'm reading more and more reviews that describe the game by comparing it
> to one or more other games. For instance, one review of Punisher I saw
> said "it's like Max Payne without Bullet Time"
>
> So, what if you could mix&match your favorite games and franchises
> together? Some might sound outlandish, but then again, there was Square
> and Disney's combined effort to create the popular Kingdom Hearts series.
> Other companies have taken a proven franchise and a proven format to
> create a themed-knock-off - like Simpson's Hit & Run, or the 2nd Spiderman
> game. Both use a GTA-esque open city with missions you can complete to
> move the story forward, or you can just play around town.
>
> What would you create? Would it be serious, or silly or just plain wrong?
> What would you come up with?

I have said this before but I would take something like the GTA games
and make a GREAT Batman game. Set in a city like the GTA games and free
roaming, would work amazingly well for Batman IMO. The Spiderman game
was good and did this to a degree, but I see something more like a
city/landscape like what is in San Andreas mixed with the Batman
franchise. That is the main one I REALLY would like to see and have for
some time now.

I would also like to see a war based game set-up somehow in a GTA sized
environment and was free roaming, have not given that one as much
thought...but something besides what we generally see where it is just a
linear crud fest pushing you straight ahead...truly open up a war game
to unlimited options and choices of how to do things. Mercenaries does
to a degree, but is still not quite what I envision and not nearly the
size/scope of it.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Doug Jacobs wrote:
<snip>
> What would you come up with?

I would like Gran Turismo with Toca 2's racing engine

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> What would you come up with?

I'd take an older computer game called 'Machines' which is like command and
conquer, age of empires type of games, but instead of having to control each
unit built indiv, you could group them up and just send combat groups to
your enemy, I would definately KEEP the first person mode ability that game
had, it was cool.

It already had a fairly open enviroment to roam around in, so I wouldnt need
to incorperate gta into it, but this game was not stable with online play,
so i'd give it the age of empires online play engine, cuz I never had any
problems with that.

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 massivegrooves <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote:

> I would also like to see a war based game set-up somehow in a GTA sized
> environment and was free roaming, have not given that one as much
> thought...but something besides what we generally see where it is just a
> linear crud fest pushing you straight ahead...truly open up a war game
> to unlimited options and choices of how to do things. Mercenaries does
> to a degree, but is still not quite what I envision and not nearly the
> size/scope of it.

I would think a game where you start out in a base in Viet Nam going on
patrol would be a good backdrop. You would start in a larger base where
you could do various types of training, which would determine what sorts
of mission and equipment you'd be using later on. Missions (patrols,
strikes) would become available and eventually you'd get transfered to
different bases or camps. I would imagine you'd only start out being able
to train as a simple grunt at first, earning the ability to start new
characters who could use heavier weapons, then later be a gunner on a
chopper, and finally, a chopper pilot. This way you could re-use some of
the same missions, but you'd be playing from differnt points of view.

Another backdrop that I think would work well, would be one of the fantasy
martial arts. Start out in a simple village, and your decisons would lead
you to a dojo, temple, or other locations for additional skills and
missions.

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 massivegrooves <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote:
>

>>I would also like to see a war based game set-up somehow in a GTA sized
>>environment and was free roaming, have not given that one as much
>>thought...but something besides what we generally see where it is just a
>>linear crud fest pushing you straight ahead...truly open up a war game
>>to unlimited options and choices of how to do things. Mercenaries does
>>to a degree, but is still not quite what I envision and not nearly the
>>size/scope of it.
>

> I would think a game where you start out in a base in Viet Nam going on
> patrol would be a good backdrop. You would start in a larger base where
> you could do various types of training, which would determine what sorts
> of mission and equipment you'd be using later on. Missions (patrols,
> strikes) would become available and eventually you'd get transfered to
> different bases or camps. I would imagine you'd only start out being able
> to train as a simple grunt at first, earning the ability to start new
> characters who could use heavier weapons, then later be a gunner on a
> chopper, and finally, a chopper pilot. This way you could re-use some of
> the same missions, but you'd be playing from differnt points of view.

Would likely work and be pretty good if done right...like I said I have
not really thought that one through so much as I have the Batman one
which I would REALLY like to see ;)

> Another backdrop that I think would work well, would be one of the fantasy
> martial arts. Start out in a simple village, and your decisons would lead
> you to a dojo, temple, or other locations for additional skills and
> missions.

Sort of like Way of the Samurai, but only MUCH, MUCH better. I had hopes
for WOTS but was really dissapointed with it. Not that much to it...

gms

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> I'm reading more and more reviews that describe the game by comparing it
> to one or more other games. For instance, one review of Punisher I saw
> said "it's like Max Payne without Bullet Time"
>
> So, what if you could mix&match your favorite games and franchises
> together? Some might sound outlandish, but then again, there was Square
> and Disney's combined effort to create the popular Kingdom Hearts series.
> Other companies have taken a proven franchise and a proven format to
> create a themed-knock-off - like Simpson's Hit & Run, or the 2nd Spiderman
> game. Both use a GTA-esque open city with missions you can complete to
> move the story forward, or you can just play around town.
>
> What would you create? Would it be serious, or silly or just plain wrong?

Ico & Splinter Cell........OOOOOFFF!

In alt.games.video.xbox GMS <gms100@mail.com> wrote:

> > What would you create? Would it be serious, or silly or just plain wrong?
> >

> Ico & Splinter Cell........OOOOOFFF!

Wielding his 2x4 in the name of truth, justice and the American Way, huh?

gms

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> I'm reading more and more reviews that describe the game by comparing it
> to one or more other games. For instance, one review of Punisher I saw
> said "it's like Max Payne without Bullet Time"
>
> So, what if you could mix&match your favorite games and franchises
> together? Some might sound outlandish, but then again, there was Square
> and Disney's combined effort to create the popular Kingdom Hearts series.
> Other companies have taken a proven franchise and a proven format to
> create a themed-knock-off - like Simpson's Hit & Run, or the 2nd Spiderman
> game. Both use a GTA-esque open city with missions you can complete to
> move the story forward, or you can just play around town.
>
> What would you create? Would it be serious, or silly or just plain wrong?

Silent Hill & Dance Dance Revolution

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

In alt.games.video.xbox GMS <gms100@mail.com> wrote:

> Silent Hill & Dance Dance Revolution

So, that'd be Silent Dance Revolution?

You'd do what, find monsters, and have dance-offs? Might be sort of hard
if the thing in question doesn't have the same sort of appendages as you ;)

How about DOA + FF-X2 - The women from DOA now have to go on missions where
their costumes affect their skills and abilities, and of course, you can
unlock tons and tons and tons of costumes.

Or how about a fighter using the characters from Final Fantasy (yes, all
of them.) You could unlock moogles, chocobos and all the classic summon
monsters, etc. See who's the best swordsman between Cloud and Squall, or
act out the ultimate catfight of Aeris vs. Yuna.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

GMS wrote:

> Silent Hill & Dance Dance Revolution

That already exists; one or more DDR games have Silent Hill tracks...

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Grand Theft Afterlife - Racoon City
That'd be my choice too. Or something like GTA - Ghostbusters.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

GTA SA + SSX3 - you could spend the day shooting your opponents down
down the slopes/half-pipes, then go back to the chalet and fcuk some
hookers/snow bunnies.

I see snowmobiles, I see snowcat/Pistenbullies, I see burning ski-lift
gondolas, I see James Bond-style police chases down icy slopes - I see
snow smeared with red...

Mwuahahaaaa!!!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Doug Jacobs:

> What would you create?

Voodoo 1942

--
Mac Cool

In alt.games.video.xbox stanley j <stanley2j@cox.net> wrote:
> Just give me a good GTA type zombie game.!!!

So...you ARE the zombie, or, you're just a guy in the middle of town with
a boomstick, and lots and lots of zombies meandering around? ;)

Seriously, though, why hasn't anyone made a zombie movie-esque game where
YOU are the zombie? It could be a very campy RTS-type game as you have to
command your minions to break into houses to get to the tasty brains
held the cowering humans who are inside. It'd be like part Myth and part
Lemmings ;)

In alt.games.video.xbox Class 1 <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> GTA SA + SSX3 - you could spend the day shooting your opponents down
> down the slopes/half-pipes, then go back to the chalet and fcuk some
> hookers/snow bunnies.

> I see snowmobiles, I see snowcat/Pistenbullies, I see burning ski-lift
> gondolas, I see James Bond-style police chases down icy slopes - I see
> snow smeared with red...

So, could you snow-jack people? Knock them off their skies/board and take
of with it? And if you crash too many times, will your board start
smoking, catch fire and explode? ;) That'd be pretty cool to be coming
down the mountain in 2nd place on a flaming board, only to the explosion
hurl your over the finish line in first place-

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> In alt.games.video.xbox stanley j <stanley2j@cox.net> wrote:
> > Just give me a good GTA type zombie game.!!!
>
> So...you ARE the zombie, or, you're just a guy in the middle of town with
> a boomstick, and lots and lots of zombies meandering around? ;)
>
> Seriously, though, why hasn't anyone made a zombie movie-esque game where
> YOU are the zombie? It could be a very campy RTS-type game as you have to
> command your minions to break into houses to get to the tasty brains
> held the cowering humans who are inside. It'd be like part Myth and part
> Lemmings ;)

Stubbs the Zombie is coming for XBox from an ex-Bungie guy. You create
more zombies, control them as your minions, and go after the corporation
responsible (or something). So, your wish is granted. Altho I'm not sure
how the world will really be set up (I doubt it will be free roaming GTA style).

In article <10vl56sotcssdd9@corp.supernews.com>,
Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>In alt.games.video.xbox stanley j <stanley2j@cox.net> wrote:
>> Just give me a good GTA type zombie game.!!!
>
>So...you ARE the zombie, or, you're just a guy in the middle of town with
>a boomstick, and lots and lots of zombies meandering around? ;)
>
>Seriously, though, why hasn't anyone made a zombie movie-esque game where
>YOU are the zombie? It could be a very campy RTS-type game as you have to
>command your minions to break into houses to get to the tasty brains
>held the cowering humans who are inside. It'd be like part Myth and part
>Lemmings ;)

Well, isn't the whole point that zombies don't have brains so they
couldn't really command anything?

How about a Castlevania/Metal Gear Solid combo? Snake armed with a whip
fighting Dracula, the leader of the Patriots.

Or the other way, a Belmont sneaking into Dracula's castle who's armed his
army of darkness with modern weaponry. Well, I guess this would just be
RE/SH with sneaking.

==========
Steve Liu
"Oh no, aliens, bio-duplication, nude conspiracies...
Oh my God, Lyndon LaRoche was right!" - Homer Simpson

AJ

> In alt.games.video.xbox Class 1 <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> GTA SA + SSX3 - you could spend the day shooting your opponents down
>> down the slopes/half-pipes, then go back to the chalet and fcuk some
>> hookers/snow bunnies.
>
>> I see snowmobiles, I see snowcat/Pistenbullies, I see burning ski-lift
>> gondolas, I see James Bond-style police chases down icy slopes - I see
>> snow smeared with red...
>
> So, could you snow-jack people? Knock them off their skies/board and take
> of with it? And if you crash too many times, will your board start
> smoking, catch fire and explode? ;) That'd be pretty cool to be coming
> down the mountain in 2nd place on a flaming board, only to the explosion
> hurl your over the finish line in first place-

Still waiting for the day when they implement Hitman's Ragdoll Physics into
GTA. THAT would be cool.

aj

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:39:08 -0000, Doug Jacobs
<djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

>So...you ARE the zombie, or, you're just a guy in the middle of town with
>a boomstick, and lots and lots of zombies meandering around? ;)
>
>Seriously, though, why hasn't anyone made a zombie movie-esque game where
>YOU are the zombie? It could be a very campy RTS-type game as you have to
>command your minions to break into houses to get to the tasty brains
>held the cowering humans who are inside. It'd be like part Myth and part
>Lemmings ;)

Sounds a little bit like the forthcoming Destroy All Humans!

In alt.games.video.xbox John Bigbooty <BOGUSevileyeBOGUS@mindspring.combogus> wrote:

> Sounds a little bit like the forthcoming Destroy All Humans!

Yeah, I guess it does. And Destroy All Humans looks like it's going to be
pretty fun.