MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II vs Samsung 226BW

jaffa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
All,

I'm looking for some advice regarding this set up, basically what I am trying to do is the pretty standard connect Graphics Card to Monitor via DVI cable. So far I have had no luck in getting the R6870 to work with the DVI port on the Samsung monitor.

Have tried (with no success):
- replacement cables (various DVI-I and DVI-D) - The system will boot to windows but nothing is displayed (even the POST screens aren't shown). I can plug a VGA cable in at any time and it just works.
- replacement video card (my flat mate has exactly the same gfx card) - same symptoms as above, regardless of which system either R6870 is plugged in to
- plugging in the DVI cable to the second port AFTER i have booted to OS with the VGA cable in the primary - interestingly here this actually kills the VGA link too, so no display whatsoever

What does work:
- putting my Radeon 4870 back in (connected by the same DVI cable)
- connecting the R6870 to my flat mate's 19" LG monitor (connected by the same DVI cable)
- using a DVI-VGA adaptor and a VGA cable

To be tried:
- A friend of mine also has a Samsung 226BW monitor, he doesn't know it yet but i'll be visiting him tomorrow to borrow it!
- An HP 24" monitor from work

My initial thoughts are that there's something wrong with the DVI port at the back of my Samsung, this doesn't explain why it works with my 4870 and not the R6870 unless there are unused pins damaged that don't affect the older card.

I would run with the VGA cable but i'm now so used to the DVI link that i can see the slightest imperfections the VGA cables gives!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jaffa

jaffa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006

Ok folks, just to update you, i've managed to solve this one. Would appear that my Samsung 226BW has a dodgy DVI port in some way that only affects certain new graphics cards as I plugged my mate's 226BW in using a DVI cable with no probs whatsoever.

Cheers,
Jaffa