i want to play bf3. and its apperantly not that easy:
first of all, my specs:
mobo: GA-G41MT
RAM: 4GB
GPU: radeon HD6850
CPU: pentium doul-core E6700 3.2Ghz
PSU: 540 wat

so now that that's done, time for the problem:
my cpu, which is a crapy old pentium, can't support my GPU, which causes alot of pretty ugly problems. so, as every other reasonable human being, i decided to upgrade it. the problem is, the motherboard doesn't support a different cpu (or atleast not what i wanted) so i've decided to upgrade my cpu and my mobo.
here's what i'm gonna get:
mobo:ASUS M5A78L-M-LX-PLUS AM3 DDR3
cpu: phenom II x4 965

OK. so..... does it fit? will i have to switch hard disc, and cd player and all?
'cause i have serial ATA as cables and i don't know if it'll fit. i really don't have alot of money right now, and all i want to do is max my gpu so i can play bf3 like i should. thx sorry for the bad english and i'll be happy for quick answers!!! THX :??: 

More about : motherboard upgrading

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2012 12:52:45 PM

You will have no problems with those upgrades and you won't have to switch hard disc or cd player. If they are old you might need a PATA to SATA adapter but that's cheap.
Bear in mind that will have to buy DDR3 RAM sticks since your current motherboard uses DDR2.
You might also get better performance if you buy Intel but that Phenom is also good for gaming and will be good enough for BF3
August 17, 2012 2:06:33 PM

are you sure about those ram sticks? 'cause on my MOBO it says: doul-channel DDR3, so... yeah. but really, thank you so much!!! i was about to get hopeless.....
Related resources
August 17, 2012 2:08:09 PM

also if you have a better idea for a cpu, i'd like to know. i just don't want it to bottleneck. also i know that intel is better, but amd is just WAYYYY cheaper.
August 17, 2012 2:08:26 PM

Best answer selected by Avinoam73.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2012 2:46:35 PM

You are correct. Your current motherboard does support DDR3 memory. However notice that it uses 800 or 1066mhz but your future ASUS M5A78L-M-LX-PLUS does not support 800mhz. Just check the speeds to be sure.
Regarding the CPU since you mentioned AMD is cheaper I'm assuming you have a tight budget. In that case you will be better with the Phenom
August 17, 2012 3:28:00 PM

akxpckwb said:
You are correct. Your current motherboard does support DDR3 memory. However notice that it uses 800 or 1066mhz but your future ASUS M5A78L-M-LX-PLUS does not support 800mhz. Just check the speeds to be sure.
Regarding the CPU since you mentioned AMD is cheaper I'm assuming you have a tight budget. In that case you will be better with the Phenom

how to check speeds? and actually what speed am i supposed to check?
sorry to so dumb but i'm kinda new to this.... :D 
and is there any cpu better than the 965? i heard that the 960t and 1100t are pretty good to.

thanks for the replies, you guys helped a lot!
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2012 9:51:01 AM

You can check the speeds by using a small software called CPU-Z. It's free and provides you with some good info about your computer. Once you open it go to the memory tab and the DRAM frequency should show up there. Multiply it by 2 and you got your memory speed in Mhz. Example: if you're currently using 800mhz memory sticks the DRAM frequency will be 400. If you are using 1066 it will be 533 or so.

I'm not sure if there are better AMD cpu's out there since I haven't paid much attention to AMD (where I live it's very hard to see AMD cpu's on stores) but I've heard good things about the 965 specially if it's overclocked
August 19, 2012 9:45:58 AM

thanks. and one last thing, is the FX-4100 better for my GPU and better than the 965 in general? i googled it but i just can't find a straight answer
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2012 11:03:55 AM

From the little that I know about AMD cpu's most people and benchmarks tend to find that the 965 is better or equal than the FX 4100 (hence the general disappointment regarding the Bulldozer architecture) but neither of them will bottleneck your GPU so pick whichever you prefer.
August 19, 2012 3:26:41 PM

thanks!
August 23, 2012 8:56:40 PM

i bought the FX-4100 instead because it's the only CPU i managed to buy (the phenom was out of stock), and i saw that everyone thinks it's crap......
is it really that bad? will it fail in what i want it to do? everyone thinks it's crap so basically...
have i maid a mistake?
thanks for the replies....
!