Installation Help for 2133mhz ram

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Memory
August 17, 2012 12:47:12 PM

Hi,

I'm new to building my own computers, I was wondering how I can correctly install the ram I purchased. Slots on the motherboard as well as BIOS settings, etc.

My ram is:G.Skill Ares F3-2133C11Q-16GAO 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-2133 MHz (PC3-17000), 1.6V, 240pin DIMM, Unbuffered, 11-11-11-30 2N,. (Taken directly from manufacturers website).

I would be installing it in an ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard.

Thanks

More about : installation 2133mhz ram

a c 144 } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 17, 2012 1:07:11 PM

Installing memory is fairly simple.

You have a quad channel memory architecture and that motherboard supports 2 memory modules per channel. This means that you have to ensure that you install one memory module per channel to use all 4 channels and do not accidentally install 2 modules per channel and leave 2 channels completely unpopulated.

To do this you will have to install the 4 modules in the memory slots marked A1, B1, C1, and D1. This should leave A2, B2, C2, and D2 unpopulated. You can install more memory here later on if you wish.

Next, boot up the PC and update it to the latest EFI firmware revision. Older X79 firmware revisions have stability issues.

Next, reboot the PC and enter the EFI setup. Under Overclock Tuner set the mode to XMP. Under XMP Profile Number set it to the highest number (there may only be one).

Reboot and you should have your memory running at DDR3-2133

Finally, with the memory running at DDR3-2133 check the following voltages because the Asus X79 boards can sometimes put them too high

1. VCCSA should not be running higher than 1.2 volts. If it is higher, set it to 1.2 volts manually

2. CPUVTT should not be running higher than 1.2 volts. If it is higher, set it to 1.2 volts manually

3. CPUPLL should not be running higher than 2.0 volts. If it is higher, set it to 2.0 volts manually
m
l
August 17, 2012 1:14:26 PM

How do i get the efi firmware reivsion if it is a new computer that i'm building?
m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 17, 2012 1:40:01 PM

wraith2k said:
How do i get the efi firmware reivsion if it is a new computer that i'm building?

The BIOS version with ASUS is typically printed on the MOBO Box and/or a label on the bottom of the MOBO around CPU. If you boot into the BIOS it will also be displayed under the 'Main' tab.

Rather than complicating it up, one 4x_GB kit only use the 'Blue' DIMM slots.

BIOS:
Press F5 ; Load Optimized Defaults
Under the AI Tweaker tab
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
/by Default Profile 1 should be loaded below/
Press F10 ; Save and Exit = Yes

Before installing the OS create a bootable (CD/DVD/USB) copy of Memtest86+, press F8 and choose the location of Memtest DVD/BR/USB, once booted allow the testing to complete 4 Full Passes. Testing 16GB takes several hours so my advice is to allow it to run overnight. This insures that the OS won't be corrupted if there's any problems with the memory. Memtest86+ - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

If Memtest yields no errors then you're good to install the OS.

Proper Windows 7 on LGA 2011 platform - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume...
m
l
August 19, 2012 8:34:33 AM

Thanks for your help I've created a USB bootable version nd will test it as soon as I get my new memory.
m
l
!