Solved

No BIOS/POST

All,

I built my PC about 5 months ago and have used it moderately since. About three weeks ago, I turned it on for my brother to play. The computer started up (led lights, fans, mobo lights etc,...) but there was no BIOS or post. There were no post beeps either.

Instead of troubleshooting myself, I left my PC with the desktop technicians at the IT office I work in, seeing as I was getting married in a few days and had no time to deal with a computer. The technicians tried resetting the CMOS (by pulling the battery, not jumping), checked the RAM (it was fine), tired new RAM in the Mobo, tested the PSU in another system and with a meter, tested the GPU and verified it was working and ensured there were no problems with the HDD. There conclusion was that it was a dead motherboard, although everything attached to it works fine.

They did not check the CPU yet which could be the problem from what I read online...

I have yet to work on the PC myself. Regardless, I was hoping someone here could help me before I rip out a motherboard and bicker with Asus about their warranty and taking it back. I am now back from the honeymoon and I need to get this computer working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The computer specifications are as follows:

GPU: Palit Nvidia GTX 560ti 2gb
Mobo: Asus M4A89GTD USB/PRO
CPU: Phenom II x6 1100t
RAM: 8gb @ 1333 mhz
HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache
PSU: Earthtec 650 Watt 80 plus certified

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bios post
  1. Best answer
    is there a pc speaker 'bleaper' by any chance? if no post you should get post error beeps unless bad cpu mobo or psu

does the cpu fan spin up?

some things you could try:

remove the vid card and try the onboard vga

try one memory stick

try no memory sticks - you should get a post error beep if mobo cpu and psu are good

could be psu, cpu mobo or ram really
  2. Sadly, there is no speaker on this motherboard, there are no bleaps or beeps at all.

-The CPU fan starts up just fine

-Used one stick of RAM, no change

-Removed the video card and used the onboard VGA, no change

-Red RAM check light turns on when both sticks are removed, green RAM OK light when either or both sticks are in

So far no solution, but thanks for the response!
  3. natx808 said:
    is there a pc speaker 'bleaper' by any chance? if no post you should get post error beeps unless bad cpu mobo or psu

does the cpu fan spin up?

some things you could try:

remove the vid card and try the onboard vga

try one memory stick

try no memory sticks - you should get a post error beep if mobo cpu and psu are good

could be psu, cpu mobo or ram really

Sadly, there is no speaker on this motherboard, there are no bleaps or beeps at all.

-The CPU fan starts up just fine

-Used one stick of RAM, no change

-Removed the video card and used the onboard VGA, no change

-Red RAM check light turns on when both sticks are removed, green RAM OK light when either or both sticks are in

So far no solution, but thanks for the response!
  4. Found the problem. I took apart the whole PC and realized that the CPU had a couple bent pins. One of the pins was a ground pin according to the layout on AMD's website. This probably caused a shortage on the Motherboard with the change in voltages from moving it to another outlet.
  5. Best answer selected by superduper931.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems