Your question

Intel CPU Performance fight

Last response: in CPUs
November 15, 2011 7:53:40 PM

Who do you think will be better the brand new Sandy Bridge-E or Ive Bridge
a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 15, 2011 7:58:17 PM

They two different animals. The Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition is designed for the high end desktop market. Our die strink that is due next year is for the main stream market.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 115 å Intel
November 15, 2011 8:02:43 PM

Depends on your needs.

If you have applications that can make use of more than 4 cores, then Sandy Bridge-E is the way to go.

If you are just gonna play games, then Ivy Bridge will be the better option. The performance difference between current Sandy Bridge CPUs and Ivy Bridge will probably be around 6% at the same clockspeed since the architecture is pretty mature and most of Intel's efforts is likely to be focused on Haswell. Some people think that it will be another 10% boost in performance.... only benchmarks will tell us and that's another 4 months away assuming a March 2012 release date.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2011 8:19:19 PM

I think my biggest down fall is the pricing
I understand the performance that AMD puts out for there prices but why can intel just be like 100 dollars more than what AMD has not almost 1000 dollar difference
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 115 å Intel
November 16, 2011 1:16:45 AM

One thing to note is that as long as the CPU is fast enough not to bottleneck the video card, the extra MHz or processing performance will not improve game frame rates. Most games are limited by the video card not the CPU.

Therefore, if you were to play some games on Core i5-2500k or a Core i7-3960X with a powerful video card like the Radeon HD 6970, the benchmarks should more or less be the same. That is unless the game is highly CPU dependent.
m
l
a c 144 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 16, 2011 1:41:52 AM

CowboyTech91 said:
I think my biggest down fall is the pricing
I understand the performance that AMD puts out for there prices but why can intel just be like 100 dollars more than what AMD has not almost 1000 dollar difference

AMD's princing is no better than Intels for what you get. Look at the new Bulldog chip; its performance is pathetic in most apps yet where it shines it is comparable to between an i5-2500 and an i7-2600... and its priced right smack in the middle of them...

If you research you will see this is true of just about all their processors.

As for Intels flagship, its always been way out there in price
m
l
November 16, 2011 1:44:35 AM

Ivy bridge and sandy bridge-e are 2 different types of cpu i.e sandy bridge-e is enthusiast cpu which is the replacement of the i7 990x or 980x. Ivy bridge is replacement for current sandy bridge (100 to 300$ price range)
m
l
!