Closed Solved

Bios for p6x58d Premium

Hey all have a p6x58d Premium which is still running BIOS 1201. I am having issuse with a hard drive awaking after s3 sleep. I have found a hotfix from microsoft that is supposed to fix the issue (large SATA drives not up and running within 10 sec after s3 sleep, therefore not being reconized). My boot drive does not do this just my storage drive a segate 1gb on the Marvel 6gbs port. I was thinking of flashing the BIOS to 1501 first, and seeing if it helps before installing the hotfix (KB Article Number(s): 977178). For those who have gone to 1501 what if any benifits have you seen (other than the newer processors) when you flashed your bios.

6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bios p6x58d premium
  1. Well, none of the updates mention anything specific to the hard drive, but a few of them refer to system stability fixes. My guess is it couldn't hurt to update your board.
  2. Best answer
    977178 refers to an error: STOP 0x0000007A, 77 or 4F, so if you are receiving those error messages then sure that's the correct fix. I have an office full of ASUS P6X58D-E and I refrain from the Marvell ports wherever possible, and don't have your issue.

For mechanical HDD's I recommend that you use the X58/ICH10R SATA ports and not the Marvell; there's no difference in speed (except single SSD ~+80MB/s) and the Intel are much more reliable. So if you have 6 SATA devices or less I'd Disable the Marvell ports in the BIOS. The Marvell are listed as 'DATA ONLY' SATA ports on your MOBO, and as such the BIOS is probably causing the limitation.

ref -
    "Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller*
    - 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
    * These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported."

/an ATAPI is like a DVD-ROM/

Further, IF you installed Marvell drivers from a different site and not those listed in the Download for your specific MOBO then you can cause problems for the Marvell's (ROM). See -

BIOS, version 1301 lists a generic 'Improve system stability' which can mean any number of things.

If you're going to update your BIOS then ONLY use ASUS EZ Flash 2 method -
  3. Best answer selected by macusn.
  4. ok Thanks jaquith. I will try the intel controllers, avoid the BIOS and the hot fix. Let you know! Running scan right now so be a little while before I can attempt to stick my hand in that little space and move the sata cord. Just fyi was not seeing the errors because the operating system is on a different disk.

5. Good luck and please let me know. :)
  6. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus BIOS Hard Drives Motherboards