Your question

Need advice on a $300 rig Little Gaming, Some 3d CAD

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2011 9:41:19 PM

I already bought:
MSI 760GM-P35 AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813130560

And a 500W PSU

Approximate Purchase Date: Next couple of weeks.

Budget: ~$310 (Little Less) After Rebates, Tax, & Shipping. (37743 for Tax and Shipping.)

Usage: Some 3d CAD, Web Browsing, Movies, Little bit of Gaming, Some video editing.

Parts Not Required: Motherboard, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, PSU, CD ROM.

Preferably From Newegg. I'd rather get everything from the same store at least. However, if you can get one or two things from a separate site, for cheaper & free shipping, then that's OK.

Maybe a little Overclocking, once the warranties are up, that way I don't void anything.

SLI/Crossfire: Idk what that is, could you clear it up?

Additional comments: You HAVE to use the case I posted below. It's not paid for yet, but its cheap, and I like it. I'll post what I think I should get, please help me have the best decision. I want SPEED, not necessarily great graphics, unless it will also speed up videos or something. Need a 120mm fan. & SATA cord. (I've picked these out already.) I need at least 750gb hard drive, & I'd like to have 64mb cache, but I'm on a budget, so I can sacrifice.

OKGEAR 24" SATA 6 Gbps Cable, Straight to Straight W/ Metal Latch, Black, Backward Compatible 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6812123169

ARCTIC COOLING AF12PWM 120mm Case Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835186033

Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3X1K2/8GX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820104266

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822148697

Linkworld 313-06-C2228 Black/ Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811164093

Processor may change later, because of rebates and promo code, so just give me a what you think now, and I'll look over it when I go to buy.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819103727

(This brings my total to like $312.30)

Never built a computer before, are integrated graphics ok? I should be able to make some upgrade in about a year, what do you recommend I do then? Is it OK to wait and get a GPU? I might be able to get one in 4 months.

Thanks,
Cody.
August 17, 2011 10:35:59 PM

the integrated graphisc will be find for watching videos and web browsing including FLASH games. I won't do any modern 3D Accelerated gaming well at all.

I know you like the linkworld case, but Its AWFUL. 80mm fans are seriously obsolete these days.

For about $5 more, I suggest the Rosewill R102 case, which comes with a 120mm fan in the back already, and space to add another in front, along with an option for an 80mm on the side.

Xigmatek Asgard II, rosewill Blackbone, R101 and R218 are also better choices

You shouldn't need the extra cables, the motherboard shoudl have come with 2 already (one for DVD, 1 for HDD)

the 965 is pointless. Get a 955 and, in the bios, increase the multiplier exactly one step. You now have a 965.

you'll want to add a real GPU for 3D CAD work and any non-casual gaming. I'd suggest a GTS 450 at minimum (about $110), because most CAD software likes NVidia better than AMD, but that will break your $300 budget.
August 18, 2011 2:08:01 PM

"And a 500W PSU" makes me nervous, like it's a cheap generic that is not fit for its intended purpose. What brand and model is it?
Otherwise, ScrewySqrl said the rest of what I would have mentioned. I've used all four (R102, R101, R218, AND Blackbone) of those cheap Rosewill cases; the build quality is decent, the fan(s) quiet, and move a reasonable amount of air. Front panel cables are long enough, and there's enough room inside them.
Realize that at your budget point, you are making sacrifices, some severe. If you can stretch it, go for an AM3+ mobo so you can upgrade to Bulldozer if that becomes relevant.
Related resources
August 18, 2011 2:12:59 PM

for what you want, you'll need to up the budget a tiny bit,, drop the extra case fan, get a better case don't use generic PSU
you don't even have to go super high,, just another 100 makes all the difference,, sounds like you might be a candidate for the new fusion chips,,, although I don't know how much power CAD uses and how well it plays with fusion.
August 20, 2011 12:11:36 AM

I already bought the PSU. I'm not going to send it back. Plus, I've done the calculator, and its more than plenty for what I need. My motherboard came with only one SATA cable. I want to use some dvd drives, and I have some other hard drives, so I'll end up buying more. I'll look into the different case, but its an inside joke between me and some of my "female friends" lol.. With that other fan, there's not going to be much chance for overheating anyhow.
August 20, 2011 12:12:25 AM

I'll look into those processors too.

Thanks Everyone!!!
August 20, 2011 12:27:09 AM

Ok then, what brand and model is the PSU?
August 20, 2011 12:36:24 AM

codestar4 said:
I already bought the PSU. I'm not going to send it back. Plus, I've done the calculator, and its more than plenty for what I need. My motherboard came with only one SATA cable. I want to use some dvd drives, and I have some other hard drives, so I'll end up buying more. I'll look into the different case, but its an inside joke between me and some of my "female friends" lol.. With that other fan, there's not going to be much chance for overheating anyhow.

you need to do some more research.
August 20, 2011 1:45:40 AM

Onus said:
Ok then, what brand and model is the PSU?

APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4

cbrunnem said:
you need to do some more research.

Why?
August 20, 2011 2:14:28 AM

Oh hell. That's a PSU-shaped object. Here's its "little" brother (probably uses the same circuit board though): http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Apevia-Turbolink...
Here's a similar one: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/05/23/450w500w_psu_...
Anyway, you got a turd there, and it should not be plugged in at the same time that it is connected to any computer parts.
On a budget, look for an Antec Earthwatts, Corsair Builder, one of the little Seasonics (but they don't have PCIE cables), or Xigmatek NRP.
August 20, 2011 2:42:52 AM

Most of the reviews are great on it.. I've already bought it.. Would you send it back? Will the warranty replace the components, if its causes problems?
August 20, 2011 3:35:38 AM

"Consumer fluff" <> "competent technical review."
Here's a confession. That exact model was the last cheap PSU I ever bought personally, in fact I bought two of them. One ran an AMD X2 3800+ S939 system with a 7600GT in it flawlessly for over a year; so I bought the second one. That one blew up for no apparent reason in an AMD 3200+ machine with a vanilla 6600 in it. I still have the Turbolink box it came in, where I'd been storing a spare Enermax Liberty, my "bench" PSU until recently. Iirc the mobo and hard drive were toasted, but the video card survived (still living in my parts box), probably because it didn't use an auxiliary power connector. That's around the time I really got into PSUs, and I never bought another cheapie.
So yes, I'd send it back, preferably having never tasted A/C. Any "warranty" will do absolutely nothing for attached components.
August 20, 2011 4:07:05 AM

Eh, Thanks very much, but I'm going to take my chances (hoping & praying). I really appreciate your help, but there haven't really been any bad reviews, however I know what you're saying. ;) 

I just hope mine doesn't give me these problems, I'll let you know how it goes..
I do have a question... Are the fans supposed to turn on and everything, if I plug it into the wall, but nothing else, and turn it on? Mine don't, is this bad? Is it DOA, or too early to tell?
August 20, 2011 4:19:42 AM

:heink:  Not really any bad reviews????? :heink:  ?????????? :pfff:  ????
If you're lucky, it is DOA; but you're describing normal behavior. There's a trick you can do with a paperclip to get an unloaded PSU to turn on.

Anyway, I'm done :pfff:  . When it chokes, smokes, and croaks, my conscience will be clear. :non: 
:sleep: 
August 20, 2011 4:22:18 AM

Would that trick be shocking the crap out of myself? lol

Yes, your conscience should be clear, you've been a great help, its my stubborn self I have to worry about :D 
August 20, 2011 5:46:58 PM

Apevia, along with Logisys and Diablotek don't build power supplies.

They build fireworks with an uncertain fuse.
August 20, 2011 6:23:35 PM

Ugh.. Have you used an Apevia ScrewySqrl?
August 20, 2011 7:01:53 PM

I avoid cheap PSUs, I've never gone lower quality than CoolerMaster.
August 20, 2011 7:20:00 PM

actually, no I did use a cheap PSU in a build in 1992 for a 486-66, one of my first homebuilds. the PSU fried and took the memory, motherboard, and CPU with it. I remember the big blue spark and the Sizzle and smell of ozone. Used high quality stuff ever since
!