Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First build, &600ish intel

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 17, 2011 9:47:58 PM

This would be my first build so any suggestions are helpful! Thanks!

No I am not married to an Intel build, but i5-2500k and sli or crossfire for the future sounds like it would last a while, maybe?

Purpose: Games (think bf3 on reasonable settings)

Parts not need: monitor, keyboard, mouse

Total really needs to be below $700

I have been looking at some deals and right now i can get....


CPU: core-i5 2500k $180

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition 1GB with new Deus Ex $160 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?SID...

PSU&MB: Thortech Thunderbolt 850W & GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

= ~540 Need help on case and a deal on ram and drives


OR


Put the same 6870 with this combo deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I... for $514

=~$674



This is my first build so go easy on me. I was wondering if the mciro ATX was going to be an issue if i wanted to crossfire another 6870. I would be willing to drop some power of the psu too, but that was just one deal i found. I think 850W is a little much for 2x 6870s. Let me know if i have something even close to good.


More about : build 600ish intel

August 17, 2011 10:00:14 PM

for 2x6870 you should be fine with a 550-650W PSU.

The antec Gamer 620W will be perfect,a nd its $70 at Newegg.

If you buy a motherboard in-store at newegg with your CPU, you should save a good $40 off, I suggest the MSI P67 model with 16x/8x PCIe slots, so you can add your second 6870 later

m
0
l
August 17, 2011 10:08:16 PM

Why do you want to mess with Crossfire? Crossfire is useful when you play on more than one monitors. Today a powerful GPU can play everything! Plus Crossfire means higher temperatures, scaling, more money for PSU and Case etc..Check the next build!


When you turn filters on, all the hard work goes to GPU and the difference between today's market CPUs aren't great. So you save the money, you would spend for i5 + Z68 Motherboard and spend them for better GPU!

MSI 970A-G45 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

bundled with:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


Ideal PSU, with 44A from 12V Rail, 80+ Bronze and quiet!

XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here comes the Power (differences between 2GB model non exist at <1920x1080)

XFX HD-695X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A high airflow case, so everything runs cool!

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM is cheap these days, so 8GB are must!

Kingston HyperX Grey Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And the best seller HDD

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


SUM 614 WITH MIR!
m
0
l
Related resources
August 17, 2011 10:43:35 PM

6950s need a 650W PSU for a healthy system....
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 10:48:27 PM

boiler1990 said:
6950s need a 650W PSU for a healthy system....



that 550W has 44amps on the 12v rail. It'll handle a single 6950 just fine.
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 10:56:49 PM


Yeah I have been watching the system builder marathons for the last few months and the phenom II x4 systems seemed to be a favorite for this price point, but I was hoping that an i5 would allow me more flexibility in the future and better general tasking preformance. Future proofing was the same idea for the crossfire, but I can see single card solutions seemed to be favored atleast in the forums. I like the thought i being able to drop in a card later that has likely come down in price to see a decent jump in preformance. I'm not expecting anything spectacular on that note, maybe 30% with dual gpu. Dual gpus were noted as being powerful options in this months best card for the money article

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...

That being said having 2gb on board vRAM is also very nice.

Give me some reasons why an amd build will be upgradeable in the futre and you might have me, and i am not holding out high hopes for bulldozer.

Solid build though, pretty much what i thought for an amd system. Thanks for the reply!
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 10:57:08 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
that 550W has 44amps on the 12v rail. It'll handle a single 6950 just fine.


Thanks, you saved me from a post....ooops :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 11:00:01 PM

Shooting Blanks said:
Yeah I have been watching the system builder marathons for the last few months and the phenom II x4 systems seemed to be a favorite for this price point, but I was hoping that an i5 would allow me more flexibility in the future and better general tasking preformance. Future proofing was the same idea for the crossfire, but I can see single card solutions seemed to be favored atleast in the forums. I like the thought i being able to drop in a card later that has likely come down in price to see a decent jump in preformance. I'm not expecting anything spectacular on that note, maybe 30% with dual gpu. Dual gpus were noted as being powerful options in this months best card for the money article

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...

That being said having 2gb on board vRAM is also very nice.

Give me some reasons why an amd build will be upgradeable in the futre and you might have me, and i am not holding out high hopes for bulldozer.

Solid build though, pretty much what i thought for an amd system. Thanks for the reply!



AMD builds are upgradeable, because AMD keeps their sockets alive! And it's guaranteed that you can add a Bulldozer in the future. I don't know their perfomance, we will see with their release!
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 11:05:01 PM

Screwy how are your getting $40 bucks off with mobo cpu combo?
m
0
l
August 17, 2011 11:28:29 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
that 550W has 44amps on the 12v rail. It'll handle a single 6950 just fine.


True - I was just thinking about it from an efficiency standpoint. The 200W (max) GPU + 125W X4 955 would be half of a solid 650W PSU, which would run around the best PSU efficiency.

A few days ago, the Antec HCG-620 was cheaper than that XFX 550...dang.
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 2:16:45 AM

Shooting Blanks said:
Screwy how are your getting $40 bucks off with mobo cpu combo?


Microcenter will take $40 off a 1155 motherboard if you get it a the same time as the sandy bridge CPU. the store will have details
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 3:05:15 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
Microcenter will take $40 off a 1155 motherboard if you get it a the same time as the sandy bridge CPU. the store will have details


I wish I had a Microcenter near me...the closest one here is a 2 hour drive to Chicago, and by then I'm better off ordering it online.
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 3:25:21 PM

boiler1990 said:
I wish I had a Microcenter near me...the closest one here is a 2 hour drive to Chicago, and by then I'm better off ordering it online.



I do too. Nearest to me is 4 hours away. But the OP said he was going to Microcenter.
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 3:14:50 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
I do too. Nearest to me is 4 hours away. But the OP said he was going to Microcenter.

What a lucky duck ;) 
m
0
l
!