Advice? Coolmax or Coolermaster PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

jswan2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I'm trying to decide what to do with my PSU situation. I'm looking to run two GTX 460s in SLI. I currently own two PSUs that should be able to handle that: A Coolmax CU-700B and a Coolermaster GX-750. I can still return the Coolermaster, but I like the 4 pci-e connectors (so I don't have to use stupid molex adapters). What should I do? Should I keep the coolermaster and try to sell the coolmax, or return the coolermaster and use the coolmax?

BTW, when I got my SLI mobo, it immediately shorted out when using the coolmax. The coolmax appears to be fine otherwise.

Do you guys have any insights or experiences with either that could guide me?

jswan2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I solved my issue. I exchanged the Cooler Master GX-750 for a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775. The Toughpower rated very very well at all sites and comes with a $30 MIR. Better for cheaper is always good.

Cooler Master has two GX-750W models. What's the model number of yours, RS-750-ACAA-D3 (OEM: Enhance Electronics) or RS-750-ACAA-E3 (OEM: Seventeam)?

If it's the one made by Seventeam then definitely get rid of it.

The model made by Enhance Electronics doesn't have any reviews done by reputable review sites. My opinion is that it should be just OK.

For a 700 Watt power supply the Coolmax CU Series 700W (CU-700B) has a relatively weak max combined +12V rails of 47.5 Amps. A good 700 Watt PSU would have 56 Amps to 58 Amps on its combined +12V rails. No reputable reviews are available for this PSU.

The Tough Power series are the only decent Thermaltake PSUs.

The revision change happened months ago, nice to see that someone realized it.

ZerosInfinite

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
You need to go "office space" on that coolmax like its that fax machine they took out into the middle of a field and destroyed.

Don't pass the unit off to anyone else ...Coolmax destroys components motherboards ram hard drives you name it.
(SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE)

they are under spec! if it is listed at 650w you will be lucky to get 450w out of it
if it is listed as crossfire/SLI certified ... as soon as you plug a SINGLE high end GPU (let alone two) it will blow up on you taking the rest of your computer with it, along with tripping a circuit breaker.

STAY AWAY FROM COOLMAX
they build cheap stuff with cheap parts and cut corners.... but they'll be happy to replace your cheap defective unit with another cheap soon to be defective unit with their excellent warranty

Don't take my word for it ... search for the various other reviews from many other unsatisfied customers, all complaining about either the fan going bad making too much noise brushing up against the grill etc etc, or the unit dying or worse the unit blowing up and taking the rest of the computer with it... just do a search.
When mine blew the arc of electricity lit up my whole room.

sepp155

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Hello there.

I just stumbled upon this "bad news" about Coolmax PSU's after buying one la5 weeks ago with no clue as to their bad reputation. However, I've noticed that the only (bad) reviews were for different models than the ZP-750B I recently picked up on Amazon for 59.99 (black friday), and that such tests and reviews are a good 3 years old.

Has anyone had experience with this particular model PSU?

I was going to bite the bullet and just keep it for my build but what worries me are stories about the PSU exploding or frying my MoBo and video card. I plan on using an Asus z77 Pro and an I7-3770k with 16gb of memory....will this PSU be able to handle it? Im not a hardcore gamer but will be getting a decent video card as well.

Thanks!

Sepp

Hi - Plz see below courtesy of johnnylucky.org:

ZP-750B 750 Advertised as having 80 Plus Bronze Certification but it does not. Advertised as 750 watts but can only deliver 450 watts. Burned at 500 watts. Hardware Secrets 1, Hardware Secrets 2

Tom

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

That's why I stay away from pre built "computers". Look up "custom computer" on ebay and almost every one that is a new PC is being sold like "Six Core - 16GB RAM $600!" which means they are using a AMD FX CPU and power supplys that I would expect to truly blow up if you try to use them at their rated power :).

Status
Not open for further replies.