Sign in with
Your question

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (blank black sreen)

Last response: in Motherboards
August 17, 2012 5:15:25 PM

Hello there I've bought ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard like two days ago and it has arrived today so I installed everything by the manual without any further issues I think. The problem is that it won't boot (I mean it's probably booting but I can't see it). Everything on the board seems to work just fine fans are spinning, HDDis working, no beeps etc. Before I had pretty old motherboard and quite old power supply 550W (actually not so old) and at this part I realised it might be the issue because as you can see on this picture (http://i.imgur.com/OMJ79.jpg) Extreme4 is running at 8-pins (CPU power connector) but my old motherboard had only 4-pins as you can see on this picture (http://i.imgur.com/wP5gB.jpg). The reason I'm asking is simple. Is there is any solution like buying some reduction or something because I can't really afford a new power supply atm.

Cheers,
n00pe.
August 18, 2012 1:28:41 PM

Also I should have mentioned that my PSU is: LC POWER LC6550GP2-v2.2 550W/140mm/Black Giant Silent
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 1:52:02 PM

what's your CPU? you may need to update the BIOS to make it compatible.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=CPU

are you certain you put the RAM in the right slot? they are not meant to installed side by side.

if you have a GPU did you use the ports on the GPU to connect it to the monitor? silly thing, i know, but this happened to one user just last week...
Related resources
August 18, 2012 1:58:36 PM

Hazle said:
what's your CPU? you may need to update the BIOS to make it compatible.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=CPU

are you certain you put the RAM in the right slot? they are not meant to installed side by side.

if you have a GPU did you use the ports on the GPU to connect it to the monitor? silly thing, i know, but this happened to one user just last week...

Hi my processor is i5 3570k running at stock cooler (will upgrade soon) and yes I'm quite sure I put them in right slots because I even tried it with only one stick first two slots gave me errors but the third one was alright and yeah I'm pretty sure I need to update BIOS to make both RAM and CPU compatible but from what I've read on ASRock webpage 3570k is supported but the memory is not but the thing is how am I supposed to update bios when I can even get to windows. I've quite an old GPU 9800GT but it's working just fine as I've tried it on different motherboard and I'm pretty sure I'm using the right ports I even tried connecting the monitor to the DVI port which is right on the board (next to the usb and stuff).

Cheers,
n00pe.
August 18, 2012 2:04:14 PM

I think the problem is related to the CPU 8 pin which is on the motherboard as I'm using quite an old PSU I've only CPU 4 pin which might not be enough to run I guess or it's the RAM. I don't know really any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
n00pe.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 2:06:43 PM

n00pe said:
Hi my processor is i5 3570k running at stock cooler (will upgrade soon) and yes I'm quite sure I put them in right slots because I even tried it with only one stick first two slots gave me errors but the third one was alright and yeah I'm pretty sure I need to update BIOS to make both RAM and CPU compatible but from what I've read on ASRock webpage 3570k is supported but the memory is not but the thing is how am I supposed to update bios when I can even get to windows. I've quite an old GPU 9800GT but it's working just fine as I've tried it on different motherboard and I'm pretty sure I'm using the right ports I even tried connecting the monitor to the DVI port which is right on the board (next to the usb and stuff).

Cheers,
n00pe.

welp, it's the ram then. hopefully you can return yours and get one that's compatible or otherwise, you may want to spend a little bit more on your build as i don't see the site mentioning updating the BIOS would fix the ram's compatibility. just to be sure, what model is your ram?
August 18, 2012 2:15:03 PM

It's Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Black 8GB (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
August 18, 2012 2:16:36 PM

Geezus why am I not allowed to edit my very own text.. Anyways I've seen so many people using exact same type of rams man.. What memory should I buy then in my country I can return all the hardware that I bought within 14 days.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 2:19:53 PM

n00pe said:
I think the problem is related to the CPU 8 pin which is on the motherboard as I'm using quite an old PSU I've only CPU 4 pin which might not be enough to run I guess or it's the RAM. I don't know really any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
n00pe.

sorry about that, speed read through your initial post and didn't see the CPU power connector issue. keep the RAM for now, though prepare some extra cash just in case.

there are 4-pins to 8-pins converters available in newegg, but i don't know how well this will help you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252699-28-tomshardwar...

based on this conversation though you should be able to use the 4 pins on an 8 pin. your power supply should be more than enough for the build though the fact it's not new maybe something to doubt about.

worst case scenario, you don't have a choice but to get a new PSU.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 2:28:31 PM

n00pe said:
Geezus why am I not allowed to edit my very own text.. Anyways I've seen so many people using exact same type of rams man.. What memory should I buy then in my country I can return all the hardware that I bought within 14 days.

went through their list of supported memories and yours is definitely not there, so that is definitely one and hopefully the only problem down. as for suggestions, any on the list will do. my tip; i guess this may not put the z77 chipset to it's full potential, but a 1333mhz ram isn't going to give you a big performance drop save for some applications.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Memo...
August 18, 2012 2:34:12 PM

I know it's not there (on the supported list) but way too many people is using it so there gotta be some solution also from what I've read 4-pin should be enough if not I guess I need a new rams then..
August 18, 2012 2:36:57 PM

Really every forum says "8-pin is only necessary for extreme overclocking or a really power-hungry processor". So I guess it's the memory after all perhaps someone else knows what might be the problem? Thanks Hazle btw.

Cheers,
n00pe.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 3:28:33 PM

if you're saying that others went with the same board and the same ram, that is certainly a curious case. the only explanation i can think of is that it's a similar looking ram but a different model, or you have yourself a dud.

if you're saying the ram generally works for other people, then that's natural. some boards are compatible with specific models of ram while others don't. the same goes with the CPU.
August 18, 2012 3:33:01 PM

Hazle said:
if you're saying that others went with the same board and the same ram, that is certainly a curious case. the only explanation i can think of is that it's a similar looking ram but a different model, or you have yourself a dud.

if you're saying the ram generally works for other people, then that's natural. some boards are compatible with specific models of ram while others don't. the same goes with the CPU.
I have seen many (not kidding) people buying exact same motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 with the exact same type of memory that I bought (CML8GX3M2A1600C9). I'm not looking at the color or something I'm looking at the model ID.
August 18, 2012 3:33:56 PM

I even asked people on forums and reddit if this motherboard is gonna be fine with this type of memory and everything all of them said it's gonna be just fine so I'm really desperate and I honestly don't know what might cause the problem.
August 18, 2012 4:20:49 PM

I think there are two solutions.
1) Get my friend over here with his memory (which should be compatible with my brand new motherboard) and let him install me the newest BIOS from official site (which is gonna fix the compatibility issue between motherboard and my Corsair RAMS).

2) Return the RAMS to the e-shop where I bought them within 14 days and get a brand new one Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX) which is listed as compatible memory for this type of motherboard on official ASRock website.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
n00pe.

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 6:04:08 PM

1) won't work. the BIOS won't fix your RAM compatibility issues;

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Down...

you should however still ask your friend over with his RAM, and test out if the 4-pin power for the CPU would work on the motherboard as well as update the BIOS while you're at it i guess.

2)maybe after you rule out the RAM is really the issue, unless your friend is going to take long to come over. i'm still kinda doubtful about the 4pin CPU power with the 8-pin motherboard socket. hopefully i am wrong about this.
August 18, 2012 6:21:54 PM

Well I mean there gotta be something seriously look at other forums people using exact same motherboard and exact same type of memory and yes I'm also kinda doubtful about the 4-pin CPU power.
!