What's my bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

circulate

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I'm not at home or on my computer so I can't link a dxdiag link or anything, but, I can post some general info about my computer.

I'd like to know what's bottle-necking my computer the most.

I play BF2 and WoW.

CPU: e6600 (I think) 2.4ghz quad core
GPU: gtx465
RAM: 4gigs ddr3 1333mhz
MOBO: ASUS p5qc
HDD: 1tb 7200rpm maxxtor

Is there anything I can upgrade for cheap or anything that NEEDS to be upgraded?

Solution
Your system is pretty well balanced, though your CPU may not be able to keep up in some instances. This is more the games' fault in not being optimized, rather than the CPU not being powerful. Can you overclock? Also, I'm basing the above on you having a Q6600(quad-core), not an e6600(dual-core), though neither WoW nor BF2 would run that differently on the quad vs the duo. Can you find out for sure which one you have?

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Your system is pretty well balanced, though your CPU may not be able to keep up in some instances. This is more the games' fault in not being optimized, rather than the CPU not being powerful. Can you overclock? Also, I'm basing the above on you having a Q6600(quad-core), not an e6600(dual-core), though neither WoW nor BF2 would run that differently on the quad vs the duo. Can you find out for sure which one you have?

Solution

circulate

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Aftermarket cooler for the CPU? Or for the whole system?

I have an aftermarket heatsink/fan that's pretty nice, on the CPU. (How often should I replace that grey goo you spread on the top of the cpu?)

cuecuemore

Distinguished
You don't need to replace the thermal interface material (TIM) ever if you put it on right the first time. If you have a good HSF, then you should be able to start overclocking. Make sure you're monitoring your temps during stress tests and that you know for sure what the thermal junction max is for the Q6600. From what I've seen, you should be able to hit 3.0 GHz without too much problem.

cuecuemore

Distinguished

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Ah yes, WoW is quad-core optimized now. It wasn't last time I checked, quite some time ago. And I was just guessing about BF2, since it was such an old game, but EA is good about those things. So I stand VERY corrected. But the principle is still there, an overclock will help you out a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.