Is there going to be a price drop on Gulftown?

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Now that Intel's high end sandy bridge is out. I'm wondering if any one knows if there is going to be a price drop on the Intel Gulftown Processors like the Core i7 980. It would be cool if it dose. But if not I might as well go with the Sandy Bridge.

+1 intel don't seem to ever drop prices on older CPUs for example an i5 760 is still around the same price as an i5 2500 and an i7 870 is still around the same price as a 2600K. Also core 2 quads are still 2/3rds of the price as when they where the best chips around.

Prices on high end parts only drop if the competition releases something that effects the entire line ... The AMD FX Bulldozer CPU has not had that effect on Intel's line so it is unlikely that you will see a lot of movement with the high end.

Prices most volatile are in the lower volume end of the market.

loneninja

Distinguished
^Probably, I wouldn't expect gulftown to drop in price. Core2Quad has gone up in price, first gen I5/I7 remained the same price after sandy came out, I see no reason Intel would drop Gulftown prices. They'll remain high as long as people keep buying them.