vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1- is there any difference between a Sata cable that is flat on both ends and one that has a 90 degree elbow on one of the connectors? The 2 flat connector cable is red and the elbow one is black.

2- I have a HAF X and I am trying to connect the Sata cables on the hot swap bays. Can I use a Sata cable that is rated as 6 Gb/s or does it need to be the 3 Gb/s cable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
Flat or 90 degree, they are no difference, just make it easier to access the connection in some case config. Esata cable is different from sata internal cable.

Just use the sata cable you have and connect it. Hot swap support depends your controller AHCI and your hardware supports it, enable it in bios.

inshead

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Sorry just noticed your second question. I would assume the 3 vs 6 gb/s would depend on the sata controller on your motherboard, unsure on the hot swap bay itself. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this one though.

Edit: May want to apparently check the dock back plane. Appears the one that may come pre-installed in the case doesnt support SATA III and only II. There may be a way to have the mfg send you a new dock back. Check this forum post. http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15169

inshead

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Without the interference of the hot swap bay, yes it should be backwards compatible just like the SATA 1 (or 1.5) drive work in SATA 2 ports. The problem may come in if the hot swap bay of the case supports SATA 3 or just SATA 2.

Flat or 90 degree, they are no difference, just make it easier to access the connection in some case config. Esata cable is different from sata internal cable.

Just use the sata cable you have and connect it. Hot swap support depends your controller AHCI and your hardware supports it, enable it in bios.

Solution