Partitioning HDD

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi.
I have Win XP home edition installed on my pc and im interested in
installing Linux as well. Therefore i will need to partition my HDD again to
allow for two partitions. How am i able to do this, as i have only ever
partitioned a HDD before installing windows. Any help/tips would be greatly
appreciated.

Jus

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Jus;
You can not do it with Windows native tools without reinstalling
Windows.
You can use a 3rd party application and preserve data:
http://www.bootitng.com/
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jus!" <jmadex@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I have Win XP home edition installed on my pc and im interested in
> installing Linux as well. Therefore i will need to partition my HDD
again to
> allow for two partitions. How am i able to do this, as i have only
ever
> partitioned a HDD before installing windows. Any help/tips would be
greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Jus

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If you want to create additional partitions you have to either start over
with a fresh install of XP and create your partitions prior to reinstalling
the operating system again, OR, you purchase a third party repartitioning
app like BootIt NG or Partition Magic which can do the job without forcing
you to lose your current setup. However I'd suggest that you purchase a
second hard drive to install Linux on rather than trying to set it up on the
same drive as your current Windows setup. This is much safer in my opinion.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Jus!" <jmadex@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I have Win XP home edition installed on my pc and im interested in
> installing Linux as well. Therefore i will need to partition my HDD again
> allow for two partitions. How am i able to do this, as i have only ever
> partitioned a HDD before installing windows. Any help/tips would be
> greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Jus

Al

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The best thing you can do is use a program called " partition magic" , this has many utilities available to use. For example making a new partition or resizing an existing one. Good luck and have fun.
--
Thanks; Al

"Jus!" wrote:

> Hi.
> I have Win XP home edition installed on my pc and im interested in
> installing Linux as well. Therefore i will need to partition my HDD again to
> allow for two partitions. How am i able to do this, as i have only ever
> partitioned a HDD before installing windows. Any help/tips would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Jus

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for all your help guys. I think i will go with the 2nd HDD idea.

Jus

> If you want to create additional partitions you have to either start over
> with a fresh install of XP and create your partitions prior to
reinstalling
> the operating system again, OR, you purchase a third party repartitioning
> app like BootIt NG or Partition Magic which can do the job without
forcing
> you to lose your current setup. However I'd suggest that you purchase a
> second hard drive to install Linux on rather than trying to set it up on
the
> same drive as your current Windows setup. This is much safer in my
opinion.

> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Jus!" <jmadex@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> > I have Win XP home edition installed on my pc and im interested in
> > installing Linux as well. Therefore i will need to partition my HDD
again
> > allow for two partitions. How am i able to do this, as i have only ever
> > partitioned a HDD before installing windows. Any help/tips would be
> > greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Jus

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Go for partition magic very easy to use and allows for setting up partitions for different operating systems so you can do dual boot

"Jus!" wrote:

> Hi.
> I have Win XP home edition installed on my pc and im interested in
> installing Linux as well. Therefore i will need to partition my HDD again to
> allow for two partitions. How am i able to do this, as i have only ever
> partitioned a HDD before installing windows. Any help/tips would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Jus

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Jus!" <jmadex@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I have Win XP home edition installed on my pc and im interested in
> installing Linux as well. Therefore i will need to partition my HDD again
> allow for two partitions. How am i able to do this, as i have only ever
> partitioned a HDD before installing windows. Any help/tips would be
greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Jus

Are you such that you want to install the Linux version you are considering
as a permanent installation. If you just want to check it out, you may want
to visit www.langa.com and look at recent newsletter articles on the
Microsoft Virtual PC. This applications allows you to create a virtual PC
within your current Windows XP for checking out other operating systems,
beta applications etc in an isolated environment.

Don

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If you can get a copy of Partition Magic 8.0, you can specify that you want
to create a linux partition. Or, if you want to take the chance in loosing
your version of Windows, you can create a partition while going throught the
linux setup process. If you can get a copy of Partition Magic, you'll be
saving a lot of time and frustration.
"Jus!" <jmadex@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I have Win XP home edition installed on my pc and im interested in
> installing Linux as well. Therefore i will need to partition my HDD again
> allow for two partitions. How am i able to do this, as i have only ever
> partitioned a HDD before installing windows. Any help/tips would be
greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Jus

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Mandrake 10 is a nice distro.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> Thanks for all your help guys. I think i will go with the 2nd HDD idea.
>
> Jus
>
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> If you want to create additional partitions you have to either start over
>> with a fresh install of XP and create your partitions prior to
> reinstalling
>> the operating system again, OR, you purchase a third party repartitioning
>> app like BootIt NG or Partition Magic which can do the job without
> forcing
>> you to lose your current setup. However I'd suggest that you purchase a
>> second hard drive to install Linux on rather than trying to set it up on
> the
>> same drive as your current Windows setup. This is much safer in my
> opinion.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "Jus!" <jmadex@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi.
>> > I have Win XP home edition installed on my pc and im interested in
>> > installing Linux as well. Therefore i will need to partition my HDD
> again
>> > allow for two partitions. How am i able to do this, as i have only ever
>> > partitioned a HDD before installing windows. Any help/tips would be
>> > greatly
>> > appreciated.
>> >
>> > Jus

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Depending on which Linux you go for you can let it resize the parttions for
you (automatically). I have XP / SuSE 9.1 dual booting at the moment on a
40Gb drive. This was split by the linux install into two 20Gb partitons, but
i could have told it to do 30/10, 25/15, etc. The only thing is the boot
loader (LILO/Grub) which is installed over the windows one - if you break
that, it's quite difficult to get back to windows.