Closed Solved

Noob 7970 compatibility question

So I'm hellbent on getting 2x Vision-Tek Radeon HD 7970 cards but I'm not sure if they will fit in my motherboard. The cards are the Vision-tek 7970, exactly these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129264

I have a Crossfire motherboard, the Asus DSEB-DG, which is a server board, but supports Crossfire and doesn't throttle or control CPU speeds, or GPU speeds (I presume).

This is the motherboard:

http://www.treadlayers.com/PC_Hardware/Motherboards/Seaburg2.shtml

Thank you all very much.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about noob 7970 compatibility question
  1. Pci x 16 slots are backwards compatible so if you just worried about putting a 3.0 into a 2.0 you will be fine there.
  2. It's compatible but it's not recommended.

Your platform is nearly identical to the Intel Skulltrail platform which means it uses DDR2-FBDIMMs

DDR2-FBDIMMs are not suitable for gaming due to the high latency and low memory bandwidth.

Those 7970s are going to be fighting both processors for memory bandwidth and will become starved extremely quickly. If you need evidence of this happening, just take a look at this review from several years ago

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Motherboards/Intel-Skulltrail-Platform-Review-Eight-Cores-SLI-and-CrossFire/AMD-CrossFire-Cr

7970s in that computer will be lame ducks
  3. How about in sheer computing power? I'm more interested in bitcoin mining rather than playing games.
  4. Also, quoting the TreadLayer review

"Wow! As we can see here, CrossFire improved these benchmarks by an average of 72%. Although these cards are outdated and low-end, this is good enough evidence to show that CrossFire provides substantial benefits AND works on the i5400 chipset."
  5. bartek4443 said:
    How about in sheer computing power? I'm more interested in bitcoin mining rather than playing games.

ah well in that case you'll be okay. Bitcoin mining does not use much memory bandwidth at all. However I caution you that the return on bitcoin mining is so low right now that it could very well be in the negative. It would take a very long time just to pay off those 7970s much less offset the power bill and eventually see a return on investment.

Crossfire is also not necessary for bitcoin mining. It is only required for alternate frame rendering in video games. Direct Compute addresses each device separately regardless of whether or not crossfire is enabled.
  6. Pinhedd said:
    ah well in that case you'll be okay. Bitcoin mining does not use much memory bandwidth at all. However I caution you that the return on bitcoin mining is so low right now that it could very well be in the negative. It would take a very long time just to pay off those 7970s much less offset the power bill and eventually see a return on investment.

Crossfire is also not necessary for bitcoin mining. It is only required for alternate frame rendering in video games. Direct Compute addresses each device separately regardless of whether or not crossfire is enabled.

Hmm, that's a bummer, however, regarding power, the DSEB-DG is supposed to be very power-efficient and my PSU is the Seasonic 650W Gold

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

I was planning to use this server as hosting but stuff got screwed up and now I have been letting this server collect dust for nearly 1 year. Bitcoin mining is better than nothing I guess. I'm comfortable waiting a few months to pay for my goods as opposed to letting it deteriorate indefinitely.

The power provided is going to be barely enough imo, so it's going to have to be very precise in regards to power. It's going to be very close to max most of the time, but I'm not overclocking my CPU (one of the Xeons), I got 8gb FB-DIMM, and everything is pretty much designed for maximum efficiency, so I think I can pull it off.
  7. bartek4443 said:
    Hmm, that's a bummer, however, regarding power, the DSEB-DG is supposed to be very power-efficient and my PSU is the Seasonic 650W Gold

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

I was planning to use this server as hosting but stuff got screwed up and now I have been letting this server collect dust for nearly 1 year. Bitcoin mining is better than nothing I guess. I'm comfortable waiting a few months to pay for my goods as opposed to letting it deteriorate indefinitely.

The power provided is going to be barely enough imo, so it's going to have to be very precise in regards to power.

The cards themselves will draw about 200 watts each under load. I've not tried bitmining in a while (and not on my 7970s) but I expect that an optimized miner would draw about as much.

Together they will draw about 400 watts alone plus 200 watts for the two CPUs, memory (FBDIMMs draw a lot of power), chipset (it's nasty), etc... means a constant mining load of at least 600 watts, more if you use the CPUs as well.

At regular electric prices this comes out to about 6-8 cents per hour or between $1.50 and $2.00 per day of electricity.

Each 7970 can perform about 600 Megahashes per second at 200 watts.

At the current bitcoin exchange rate of about $12 per BTC this yields a daily revenue of between $4 and $5 after electricity tops before deductions, etc...

It would take approximately 100 days to pay off each 7970
  8. Pinhedd said:
    The cards themselves will draw about 200 watts each under load. I've not tried bitmining in a while (and not on my 7970s) but I expect that an optimized miner would draw about as much.

Together they will draw about 400 watts alone plus 200 watts for the two CPUs, memory (FBDIMMs draw a lot of power), chipset (it's nasty), etc... means a constant mining load of at least 600 watts, more if you use the CPUs as well.

At regular electric prices this comes out to about 6-8 cents per hour or between $1.50 and $2.00 per day of electricity.

Each 7970 can perform about 600 Megahashes per second at 200 watts.

At the current bitcoin exchange rate of about $12 per BTC this yields a daily revenue of between $4 and $5 after electricity tops before deductions, etc...

It would take approximately 100 days to pay off each 7970

Wow, so that's 200 days, also the December changes will make one block go from 50 BTC to 25 BTC, but I think it's still better than doing absolutely nothing with the computer (I'll feel more productive :bounce: )

I'll probably take off 4gb of ram if that uses up too much power, and maybe disconnect some of the fans (I got one of those over the top Xclio cases that have like 8 fans). Will disconnecting the ram effect BTC mining? Sorry for bothering so much.
  9. Best answer
    bartek4443 said:
    Wow, so that's 200 days, also the December changes will make one block go from 50 BTC to 25 BTC, but I think it's still better than doing absolutely nothing with the computer (I'll feel more productive :bounce: )

I'll probably take off 4gb of ram if that uses up too much power, and maybe disconnect some of the fans (I got one of those over the top Xclio cases that have like 8 fans). Will disconnecting the ram effect BTC mining? Sorry for bothering so much.

Removing the ram won't change the power consumption by a meaningful amount. Since they're DDR2-FBDIMMs they can't be used in any other platform that doesn't also use DDR2-FBIMMs.

If you really want to put it to good use, drop it in a datacenter.
  10. Also just found some relieving signatures:

i7 860@3.6 /CM Hyper 212+ EVO/8 gigs Corsair Pc-1333/GigabyteGA-P55M-UD2/Sapphire 7970 dual X/Antec 902 V3/Seasonic X-650 Gold+/NEC ea232wmi/
  11. Best answer selected by bartek4443.
  12. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Crossfire Compatibility Product