No Bios, Post, or Beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

spearphish

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
My system is about 2 years old now, (so this isn't an installation problem), but it turned off/crashed during a game, and now it fails to boot in anyway. The only difference I can see/hear is that the Gpu, an XFX Radeon 5870, is blowing more air than it does while under heavy loads, but still fails to display anything.

I've checked the standard No boot/Display post and nothing there has helped my problem.

My PSU is working, (unless a failed GPU connection), it powers all of the fans and led's in the case.

My motherboard appears to be working, any lights on it light, but it will not give the 1 beep it does when it boots properly.

My CPU shouldn't have had any heating problems, its being cooled by a closed Corsair liquid cooler, unless that is the part that failed.

Standard de-bugging is to remove parts until the system will POST, but any parts i have on hand are for a 6 year old desktop that used an AGP slot video card.

What parts are/could be the problem here, and could this happen because of a hard drive failure?

Thanks for looking this over.

Specs:

CPU: i7 920 OC'd to 3.67 GHz (Quad Core)
GPU: 1 XFX Radeon 5870, OC'd, but I forget the number.
MoBo: EVGA X58 LE SLI, (Intel X58 chipset)
Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600 MHz Mushkin Silverline Series
HDD: 500GB Western Digital 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
PSU: 1000w TechNPS something or other: http://www.technps.com/computer-hardware/power-supplies/tech-nps-1/tech-nps-1000w-atx-sli-ready-crossfire-ready-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular.html

Solution
re: "Standard de-bugging is to remove parts until the system will POST, but any parts i have on hand are for a 6 year old desktop that used an AGP slot video card."

This is confusing. You don't need parts other than your current PC. If you stripped the PC down to just he MB (no memory, no CPU, etc.) you would get a beep code from it that tells you that you are missing parts. Keep adding parts in until the MB stops beeping. The last part is the failed part.

The way you do this with a failed PC that is already assembled is to pull something like Video card. Did the PC post? Start beeping? NO -- then leave the video card out and pull the next part, say memory. Did the pc post? etc. Eventually you'll find one of more bnad parts...

spearphish

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Yeah, i had noticed the misinformation in the first post, sorry bout that. And after researching it, I know alot more than I did earlier.

I "Officially" have a 5870, and it probably was too high of a clock. I'm trying to replace it by warranty currently.

Tomorrow, I plan to borrow a GPU from a friend and plug it in. But would that cause any issues seeing as I didn't un-install the last one?

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I'd say it is your powersupply,, if it bit the dust, it won't supply enough juice to kickstart the system--- i would only say it was your card if you were having any kind of glitches prior to the shutdown,, usually overheating issues cause blue screen shutdown to protect your parts.

spearphish

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Is plugging a different one in what I want to be doing right now?

And if it was a dead psu, why would the fan on the GPU spin more?
The GPU has failed on me before, either overheating and turning the system off to protect components, or blue-screen under load. Although this has only happened 2-4 times in the last year. And during an 8 or so hour session.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
psu may be MOSTLY dead, sort of like a dying battery in a toy, enough power to turn on lights, but not enough to actually do anything, takes quite a bit of power to turn a system on as all the components spin up at the same time, if your supply can't do the turn on spike, it won't do much more than a couple lights and fans.

looks like extreme conditions to overheat your GPU, perhaps you need to add a case fan,, overheating your case can affect any of your components, especially your power supply as it has to cool itself with the air inside your case, if air is already hot, it is hard for it to keep itself cool.

GPU should never overheat, so once you fully determine your issue, don't forget to spend 10 bux on another case fan.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Have you tried unplugging the VGA/DVI cord from the video card and plugging it back in? Occassionally, every few months I would have the same problem with my monitor not displaying anything and the fan inside my PC would spin like a jet engine. Unplugging and plugging back in the DVI cord fixed the problem for me; it could be just a loose connection.

spearphish

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
To Aylafan: I've tried the cords many times, and using the other outputs on the card. Unless there's something wrong between the GPU and the female socket, it doesn't appear to be a cord problem.

To monkey: I'm starting to think it may be the PSU, seeing as the system won't post even when I pull the video card. But if the PSU is the dying part, why would the GPU spin more/make more noise if the system doesn't have enough juice?

And I thought that I had done fairly well in the heat-displacement department. My case is a Silverstone Raven 2, (sorry for links if they're against the rules, http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RV02 .)
I have 2 fans in the top, one of them is from the PSU, and one in the back of the case for the psu. And in the bottom there are three 180mm fans to put cold air into the system.

Is it more likely that the PSU overheated or flat out died?

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
wow, a raven shouldn't have any heat issues,, is anything overclocked in your system? may be too high of an overclock, should be able to run a system 24/7 without overheating
i love that case,, if i had money for it, its the one id get.

as for the fans spinning up, it really doesn't take much power to do that,, usb power can easily run a couple fans and that's like 300 milliamps or something like that,, defintely less than 1 amp of power to run all your fans though.

spearphish

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
The GPU and the CPU are both overclocked. I don't remember the oc on the gpu, but its the part i could see overheating the most. Seeing as the fan pushes the air out to the side, it might fight the airflow of the case. But otherwise the case seems to stay very cool. And it's not the best stock fan I've seen for a oc'd card,

http://static.digitaltrends.com/images/reviews/xfx-radeon-hd-5870/xfx_radeon_hd_5870_1.jpg

thanks for staying on this for so long, I'm picking up a friends card tomorrow to troubleshoot. Hopefully this is my excuse to buy a 560 ti

re: "Standard de-bugging is to remove parts until the system will POST, but any parts i have on hand are for a 6 year old desktop that used an AGP slot video card."

This is confusing. You don't need parts other than your current PC. If you stripped the PC down to just he MB (no memory, no CPU, etc.) you would get a beep code from it that tells you that you are missing parts. Keep adding parts in until the MB stops beeping. The last part is the failed part.

The way you do this with a failed PC that is already assembled is to pull something like Video card. Did the PC post? Start beeping? NO -- then leave the video card out and pull the next part, say memory. Did the pc post? etc. Eventually you'll find one of more bnad parts.

Here is an excelletn reference, since you are already assembled, you run it sort of in reverse.

Good luck.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.