CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge

Noctua NH-D14

EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB x2 in SLI

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

OCZ Vertex 3 Series – MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB

SAMSUNG T27A750 Black 27" 5ms 3D LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/DTV Tuner - Returned, loud buzzing and other problems.

Logitech G19 Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse

Western Digital 1TB My Book Live Home Network Drive

So here we go, some pictures of the progress as it happened. Some photos are blurry but I'm a builder not a god-darned photographer so they stay in hah!

Sizing up enemy cables, in need of sleeving / heatshrinking

Now we begin to see some goodies!!

a Noctua in the face!

The GTX 570 says "Hello, Wintel."

Jus dwarfed an e-atx board!!

More about : finally built system years finally

August 18, 2011 3:43:29 AM

Feel the power!

m
l
August 18, 2011 3:45:31 AM

Standby, in the coming week or so, this will all be converted to a water cooling setup for the cpu, and the 2 gpus. It will include 120x3 rad in the roof, and a 120x2 rad in the 5.25" bay compartment. There will be 2 pumps running in serial with a nice mid-size reservoir tube along the back wall. Expect some suttle lighting, dark barbs, and maybe blood red coolant! :D 
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2011 4:17:09 AM

That's a very nice computer you're building. how much did it cost altogether?
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2011 4:32:30 AM

Sleeving will be a little better than heatshrink because it should be a little more flexible.
m
l
August 18, 2011 5:53:01 AM

That case is MASSIVE! You DID dwarf that board!
m
l
August 18, 2011 3:49:14 PM

jsc said:
Sleeving will be a little better than heatshrink because it should be a little more flexible.

Unfortunately, this project was also my test bed for learning how to sleeve. There is definite inconsistency in the quality but the sleeving is all black and I can hide it with my weak camera skills. :D 
m
l
August 18, 2011 3:49:59 PM

That is a crazy nice rig. damn 2 570's you can run whatever you want thats for sure. Mind if I ask why you chose a e-atx and not a full size counter part?
m
l
August 18, 2011 3:52:38 PM

doskoipanda said:
That's a very nice computer you're building. how much did it cost altogether?

I'm trying really hard to forget about that aspect. Going water cooling will cost quite a lot as well. Basically, I had a once in a lifetime chance to build a really outstanding rig so I took it. This rig will need to last some years, like my $300 Q6600 lasted 4 years I believe. I'll always have the opportunity to pick up new parts here and there, but that's normal. The fun of having numerous boxes arrive for a singular project is incredibly fun, like Christmas ;) 
m
l
August 18, 2011 3:59:49 PM

cburke82 said:
That is a crazy nice rig. damn 2 570's you can run whatever you want thats for sure. Mind if I ask why you chose a e-atx and not a full size counter part?

The case is designed to accommodate dual processor boards. There's 2 separate cutouts for their respective back plates. I preferred this case above all others b/c it'll hold all the hardware / cooling / water cooling I can throw at it. It's design is also much more humble than say a Haf X which I've never liked.

I really like this motherboard and all of its features. It'll keep me busy learning about them and tweaking.

The 570 in the shot is before I went to Fry's Electronics over by LAX and picked up 2 EVGA 580s priced below newegg. I think I saved almost $50 and any shipping costs from newegg.

The board has all the same mount points as a standard ATX board. It's about 1 inch wider, probably to allow for the pcie switches, power on and reset buttons, the LED debugger thingamajig, and the voltage reader whachamacallits you can tap into with a multimeter.

The power and reset buttons are awesomely handy when its on a test bench.
m
l
August 18, 2011 4:07:44 PM

clonazepam said:
The case is designed to accommodate dual processor boards. There's 2 separate cutouts for their respective back plates. I really like this motherboard and all of its features. It'll keep me busy learning about them and tweaking.

The 570 in the shot is before I went to Fry's Electronics over by LAX and picked up 2 EVGA 580s priced below newegg. I think I saved almost $50 and any shipping costs from newegg.

The board has all the same mount points as a standard ATX board. It's about 1 inch wider, probably to allow for the pcie switches, power on and reset buttons, the LED debugger thingamajig, and the voltage reader whachamacallits you can tap into with a multimeter.

The power and reset buttons are awesomely handy when its on a test bench.

To early here lol. I saw all that space and thought that was a micro atx LMAO I need to wake up. I now realize that's a massive mobo in an even more massive case lol.
m
l
August 18, 2011 8:34:10 PM

i7-2600k @ 4.6ghz and 1.35v set in bios
RAM at 1866 with 9-10-9-28-2T settings
GTX 580s at reference clocks 772mhz core / 2004mhz memory

Adding some benchie screenshots...

3dMark Vantage - High setting - 1680x1050

3dMark 11 - Performance setting - 1280x720

PCMark 7 - PCMark Suite

Super-PI - all scores represent best of 3 runs

wPrime - 4 threads - 2 runs per

wPrime - 8 threads - 2 runs per

m
l
August 18, 2011 8:41:30 PM

I would have to have 3 of my rigs set up in crossfire to get to those bench scores lol
m
l
August 18, 2011 8:49:25 PM

Someone asked how much it cost, the links to their newegg pages are in the OP. The cost was extremely high as it was only possible due to me being permanently disabled and a decent settlement. The rig constitutes less than 5% of the total settlement. I won't be any more specific than that so as not to give away too much personal information in the interwebz.
m
l
August 18, 2011 9:07:10 PM

why buy samsung 27inc it has no dvi connection
m
l
August 18, 2011 9:15:19 PM

.....Um question if you where planning on Water cooling it already why build it all in the case with Air cooling why not wait a week or two and put it all together when the Water cooling system is ready?
m
l
August 18, 2011 9:40:56 PM

crisbx99 said:

You're right. I wish it did. It does have 2 hdmi, 1 component connection, and 1 for the cable box. There are hdmi -> dvi adapters. This "television" is going to go into the bedroom eventually. It's a beautiful setup but not ideal for gaming. I can't return it, basically. I'm hoping soon we will have true 120hz 27" monitors. Right now I'm looking at maybe the asus 120hz 23" model but used it a bit at Fry's and was put off.
m
l
August 18, 2011 9:45:41 PM

secolliyn said:
.....Um question if you where planning on Water cooling it already why build it all in the case with Air cooling why not wait a week or two and put it all together when the Water cooling system is ready?

Everything except the motherboard arrived at once and I waited another 3.5 days for the motherboard. I have a couple forum posts here and elsewhere with a parts listing I was looking at. I've gotten a lot of good feedback that has either reinforced my choices or led me toward other products. There's currently no order yet for any wc parts. I didn't want to wait 1-3 weeks to use the system since I was coming up from a Core 2 Quad 6600... My choices for wc parts still isn't nailed down yet. It's a very simple tear-down when it happens.
m
l
August 18, 2011 10:36:00 PM

we share the same taste in gpu's and benzo's.... boSS
m
l
August 18, 2011 10:43:51 PM

secolliyn said:

I wouldent want to wait 2-3 weeks to play with all this awesome stuff lol.
m
l
August 19, 2011 12:38:39 AM

I almost forgot the absolute most important part of my gaming rig. I've had it for a couple years now, and it's crucial for long gaming sessions.

Spoiler
Yep, a pair of old socks. Without them, I'd have a painful, giant red knot on my wrist. I've yet to discover a product that performs better.
m
l
August 19, 2011 8:04:16 PM

LOL on the socks, but I totally agree with you. You should try one of these mousepads with inbuilt wrist cushion; I have one and it's really comfortable.
m
l
August 19, 2011 8:04:37 PM

crisbx99 said:

Despite it not having the option to return it, just got off the phone with newegg and they agreed to allow me to return it... guess I'm going to get the asus 23" 120hz monitor + 3dvision kit after all...

The problem with it is many games got kicked to 1920x1080x24p, so they didn't look too good. Crysis crashed to the desktop every time it finished loading a level. Also, in many games if vertical sync was enabled, the game would run at 24 fps lol... if disabled v-sync, it'd run games in 3d at higher resolutions but of course tons of tearing. Some games worked flawlessly though. It was wierd. Some games would run at the 24p in full screen, but windowed at 1920x1080 it would run fine at 60hz... go figure. It was an impulse buy b/c it looked great, but is definitely more a television than a monitor. I'll make due with the asus 23" and patiently wait for its 27" upgrade, i guess...
m
l
August 25, 2011 7:19:25 PM

Update:

Phase 2 of build coming next week - no, not watercooling yet, extensive re-cabling / multi-color sleeving, and chopping holes in case, + lighting.

I returned that Samsung monitor. I'm currently looking at the Acer 27" 3D 120hz monitor. Also, Asus is supposedly releasing a 27" 3D monster as well... so I think I'll hold off on purchasing a new monitor(s) till end of September.

Water-cooling will happen in September for sure. Some other things came up like fixing the car, and well for the price of water cooling, I could replace the engine lol... the repairs are not nearly that drastic but an interesting point nonetheless.
m
l
August 25, 2011 7:40:09 PM

Looking forward to sleeving and lighting! Maybe I'll learn something.
m
l
August 26, 2011 9:42:03 AM

I'm sorry, but I'm a little blind.
In this picture:
Spoiler

I see a GTX 590(above) SLI'd with a GTX 580.
m
l
August 26, 2011 9:59:32 AM

No, that 8 just looks like a 9 =) Trust me, he wouldn't do that mistake :D 
m
l
August 26, 2011 5:35:17 PM

Wow didn't see that before. Even with my nose 5 inches from the monitor it still looks like a '9'.
m
l
August 26, 2011 5:41:53 PM

While Im here, currently the ssd / hdd are in the cage at the bottom. I think i can squeeze the ssd above the optical and the hdd below it. that will allow me to mount the radiator directly to the floor of the case as opposed to the top of the removal hdd cage. the other thing im thinking is mounting the ssd to the back wall above where the reservoir cylinder will be.

Had to post again, kept getting error i couldn't edit my previous one.

Has anyone seen or heard of the pearl liquid coolant? I've seen the blue in a video and it looks nice. Has shiny swirls floating around in it. I'll have to research this. anyways, it does look neat.
m
l
August 26, 2011 5:44:54 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
No, that 8 just looks like a 9 =) Trust me, he wouldn't do that mistake :D 

That would work wouldent it? It would be like a 3 way sli right?
m
l
August 26, 2011 5:52:36 PM

Nah... firmware, drivers, os, etc would all block anything like that... The AMD 6870 x2 plus a 6870 yeah, but you still can't sli cards that have different frame buffers, and of course the 590 clocked a couple hundred megahertz slower.
m
l
August 26, 2011 6:51:49 PM

clonazepam said:
Nah... firmware, drivers, os, etc would all block anything like that... The AMD 6870 x2 plus a 6870 yeah, but you still can't sli cards that have different frame buffers, and of course the 590 clocked a couple hundred megahertz slower.

so Nvidia wont support that sort of nonsense?
m
l
August 26, 2011 7:01:53 PM

So I'm not blind, hehe.

Now @ thread.
I'm not water cooler expert, didn't even touch a water cooling system.But I wanted to get water cooling for my new rig so I've read so much things about water cooling..damn me, anyways.
From what I've read, its a mistake to use colored/put colorant in the cooling system, instead it is recommended that you get colored tubing.(Not sure why tho)
m
l
August 26, 2011 7:05:41 PM

From what ive read watercooling seems like a lot of work for the extra OC you get. Seems like people can get from 4-4.g ghz on SB cpu's with air cooling so how much farther can you get with water cooling or is it more to keep the rig as close to silent as possible?
m
l
August 26, 2011 10:43:10 PM

AlExAlExAlEx said:
So I'm not blind, hehe.

Now @ thread.
I'm not water cooler expert, didn't even touch a water cooling system.But I wanted to get water cooling for my new rig so I've read so much things about water cooling..damn me, anyways.
From what I've read, its a mistake to use colored/put colorant in the cooling system, instead it is recommended that you get colored tubing.(Not sure why tho)

You can use whatever you want. Any dye will stain the tubing. You end up cleaning everything more often. I'm definitely starting off with plain distilled water with a biocide / silver coil... but I'm very tempted to go blood red at some point.

cburke82 said:
From what ive read watercooling seems like a lot of work for the extra OC you get. Seems like people can get from 4-4.g ghz on SB cpu's with air cooling so how much farther can you get with water cooling or is it more to keep the rig as close to silent as possible?

Silent is most important. Maintaing the aggressive overclocks at a lower temp is nice. Ultimately, building is just so fun, and water cooling is not hard but will be a new challenge for me. In most cases, people don't build air rigs. They assemble them. I'll have a lot of fun getting it all set up so that's my motivation.
m
l
August 26, 2011 11:22:11 PM

clonazepam said:
You can use whatever you want. Any dye will stain the tubing. You end up cleaning everything more often. I'm definitely starting off with plain distilled water with a biocide / silver coil... but I'm very tempted to go blood red at some point.

Silent is most important. Maintaing the aggressive overclocks at a lower temp is nice. Ultimately, building is just so fun, and water cooling is not hard but will be a new challenge for me. In most cases, people don't build air rigs. They assemble them. I'll have a lot of fun getting it all set up so that's my motivation.

I should not have said hard a better word would be lots of work. Im talking about cleaning out the system every 6 months or so compared with the occasional quick bust of canned air with the air cooled rigs lol. BUt im so lazy I would rather own a condo than a hose based solely on the yard work so its probably just me lol. What I thing is amazing is that I BUY POWER includes free watercooling with there systems....my thing is if you have to pay them to build your pc are you going to be able to clean and service the water cooling system? lol
m
l
August 27, 2011 4:52:24 PM

cburke82 said:
I should not have said hard a better word would be lots of work. Im talking about cleaning out the system every 6 months or so compared with the occasional quick bust of canned air with the air cooled rigs lol. BUt im so lazy I would rather own a condo than a hose based solely on the yard work so its probably just me lol. What I thing is amazing is that I BUY POWER includes free watercooling with there systems....my thing is if you have to pay them to build your pc are you going to be able to clean and service the water cooling system? lol

Whenever I think about something I'd have to do every 6 months like cleaning out a water cooled system, I remember that not too long ago... 1 daughter born in 2005, a second in 2006... being disabled means I stayed home and was on diaper duty and boiling the seemingly endless supply of baby bottle parts, on a daily basis... lol... As for air rigs, here on the central coast of california (i know you are further up north), its basically a small city surrounded by farms, cattle, and wineries. It's a huge dust bowl. You'd have to wash your car 3x a day to keep it nice. So I quite often disassemble the air rig completely, and clean it with the air compressor... gotta love 60-90 psi of air. There's a moisture trap on the system too so its all good there. I wish I lived in a condo. This house and the small surrounding property seems to have need for some new repair weekly. =/
m
l
August 27, 2011 4:57:17 PM

I picked up some Belkin device to measure the watts, CO2 emissions, and costs associated with the system. It's not great, but its better than I thought it would be.

Idle is about 180 watts - this includes the PC, usb-powered 5.1 headphones, externally-powered logitech g19 keyboard, and western digital's mybook 1TB nas.

Running 3D Mark 11 - 550 watts (thought would be over 600) I'll run a combo like prime95 / furmark next I guess. Probably hit over 600 with that.
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:14:54 PM

clonazepam said:
I picked up some Belkin device to measure the watts, CO2 emissions, and costs associated with the system. It's not great, but its better than I thought it would be.

Idle is about 180 watts - this includes the PC, usb-powered 5.1 headphones, externally-powered logitech g19 keyboard, and western digital's mybook 1TB nas.

Running 3D Mark 11 - 550 watts (thought would be over 600) I'll run a combo like prime95 / furmark next I guess. Probably hit over 600 with that.

So does that mean you could run that beast on a 700w PSU? Assuming the right connectors were in place? Thats does not sound right to me lol.. SLI'd 580's arnt those supposed to be power hungry beasts?
m
l
September 3, 2011 6:55:15 PM

I didn't want to void the warranty on the psu, so I ordered cable extensions for the mobo, cpu, and gpus. Here's some shots of the lighting and cables so far...

These aren't what I expected, but I'll make it work. It has a pci bracket, power on/off and 3 brightness settings as well as cable management tabs.

I couldn't get a steady shot of this lol... I tried 4x and this was the clearest image.

Here's a shot of the 24 pin cable completed... many 6 and 8 pin cables to go....

I'll get a final shot of all the cables completed, and then some in the system. After that, I'll be modifying the case lid w/ a window within a window look, and put the Dremel to work.

m
l
September 3, 2011 9:02:29 PM

I grabbed a 2m and a 1m. That's pretty much what I have in mind. I'll get 1 into the bottom pci slot, bring it up the back to the rear exhaust fan, then go back down, underneath the motherboard and around it so the light comes out from underneath the motherboard. Whatever is left will go along the floor toward the 5.25" bays I guess. The second one may go up in the roof somewhere. I don't know yet. Thanks for sharing, it really does help to visualize the possibilities.

Right now I'm modding all these damned cables. There's 3 6pin cables and 3 8 pin gpu cables to do plus the 4+4 cpu cable. Why 3 sets of gpu power cables? Hmm... idk maybe I just like extra or....

The skin's pretty much shredded off of my thumb at this point from gripping the connectors... It's a labor of love I guess.
m
l
September 4, 2011 1:52:26 AM

Quote:
I really like your cable modding job in the pic above :D 

blood + sweat + tears = pro cable mods :p 

My method is the least amount of work for the most amount of money. I didnt want to void the psu warranty. The best cable mods I've seen involve taking the entire psu apart, and then doing each wire individually with 550 para-cord. I guess its available in many colors too. The pros also completely hide the heatshrink too. I'm not there yet... I have an old out of warranty psu that I'll try it on sometime.
m
l
September 6, 2011 5:09:32 AM

Great job! Gotta pass by the local store and see if they can order me a kit...
m
l
September 9, 2011 5:09:33 PM

Today I'm going to take apart my br writer. The front is black but the rest is not. So... it must be painted black all the way 'round because the case window extends into the 5.25" bay. Maybe if I am lucky, my motorola droid bionic will arrive today and i can try using it to take pictures. They'll probably end up worse cuz Im shaky... the camera i have been using is a brick and i still can't get the shakes out. I even tried the sniper trick and held my breath, lol... didn't help. Oh well...
m
l
September 9, 2011 6:43:12 PM

clonazepam said:
Today I'm going to take apart my br writer. The front is black but the rest is not. So... it must be painted black all the way 'round because the case window extends into the 5.25" bay. Maybe if I am lucky, my motorola droid bionic will arrive today and i can try using it to take pictures. They'll probably end up worse cuz Im shaky... the camera i have been using is a brick and i still can't get the shakes out. I even tried the sniper trick and held my breath, lol... didn't help. Oh well...

my Samsung has image stabilization so im sure that phone will :) 
m
l
September 9, 2011 6:55:23 PM

cool... haven't looked at it yet, just opened the box and threw it on the charger... I'm getting a stiffy.
m
l
September 9, 2011 10:10:01 PM

clonazepam said:
... I'm getting a stiffy.

I wonder if I Phones have an APP for that LMAO
m
l
September 9, 2011 11:05:08 PM

I've been trying for hours to get it activated. The bar shows it has 3G and 1 lousy bar lol... oh man...

Edit: 2 seconds after I hit submit it finally went through.
m
l
September 9, 2011 11:44:19 PM

clonazepam said:
I've been trying for hours to get it activated. The bar shows it has 3G and 1 lousy bar lol... oh man...

Edit: 2 seconds after I hit submit it finally went through.

hows that 4 g lti?
m
l
    • 1 / 6
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!