Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Emachines EL1200-07w

Last response: in Components
November 16, 2011 7:37:16 AM

I have a question about the card reader that came installed in my eMachines Model EL1200-07w.
The other day I inserted a card into the slot and smelled wiring melting. I immediately removed the card and shut down my computer.
When I restarted it, my card reader and the USB port attached to that assembly didn't work.
I removed the assembly and found that 2 of the prongs in the larger reader slot were bent and shorting out against the metal shield around them.
I straightened the prongs out and reinstalled the assembly.
My USB port now works again, but the card readers don't.
Can I buy a replacement for the reader assembly and its connecting cable, and if so, where?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

More about : emachines el1200 07w

November 16, 2011 9:17:08 AM

I would contact emachines for the replacement part. If they can't help you, you may have to look for one on ebay instead. Those oem cases are nice, but many of the components aren't interchangable with other cases.
Score
November 16, 2011 7:53:17 PM

o1die said:
I would contact emachines for the replacement part. If they can't help you, you may have to look for one on ebay instead. Those oem cases are nice, but many of the components aren't interchangable with other cases.

Thanks o1die. I'm not sure what to call that assembly if I did a search on eBay.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

November 16, 2011 7:57:49 PM

Just use the emachines model number; start with "card reader" after the model number. If nothing comes up, then just use the model number.
November 16, 2011 8:30:45 PM

o1die said:
Just use the emachines model number; start with "card reader" after the model number. If nothing comes up, then just use the model number.

Thanks for the help. Have a nice evening.
Score
November 22, 2011 11:08:33 PM

Best answer selected by ReaderOfEyes.
Score
!