Sign in with
Your question

Low Profile Graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2011 10:55:29 AM

I recently updated my desktop & my HTPC's graphics cards.
I've always used Nvidia cards in the desktop so I went from a 9600GT to a 1gb GTX460 for the desktop and for the HTPC I thought I would go for the best LP card I could find (it has to be LP due to the dimensions of the HTPC case) which was an ATi HD5670.

The Nvidia has been 100% from the first minute but the ATi has been a real pain getting to work (one of the big attractions was proper HD audio & a single HDMI connection to my receiver).
It took ages to find out how to get it to deliver HD audio properly.
But now it seems that any time I do anything on the HTPC (like mouse clicks to open folders or Outlook E) it has to redo the HMDI handshake and I get a blank screen for a few seconds until it comes back.

I can live with it but it is so annoying and such a pain seeing as how Nvidia always seem to just work.

So, I was wondering, unless I'm being blind the tom's graphics reviews always seem to miss out on LP cards and yet for those of us with HTPCs they are essential.
I'd like to know what the equivalent best Nvidia card is if I junk the ATi?
I have been looking but there's not a lot of info on LP cards.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.
June 15, 2011 12:05:54 PM

I have been using 5670 1 gig for last one year, and I use hdmi audio and I don't face any problem whatsoever. That said, when I installed the graphics card for the first time, there were lots of problems. catalyst won't start etc. had to reinstall windows once and everything has been prime and proper since then. I tried cleaning registry and other tweaks before re-installation , but all in vain.
June 21, 2011 11:21:35 AM

Too much trouble.
The solution was simple.
Nvidia 430.
It works, no messing & no problems.
!