Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer won't POST - No display, fans running

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 18, 2012 5:19:38 AM

My homebuilt PC (currently 6 months old) has had a few booting issues over it's life. Initially, to boot it would take a few constant restarts to get a display, nothing too serious - I wasn't too concerned since I had bought a relatively cheap PSU initially, and knew I'd have to replace. Anyway, for a few months, I didn't experience this issue, until a few days ago. I couldn't get the PC to boot after 8 hours of on and off attempting, thus I called it night, then randomly the next day it booted without issues. Now, it's a few days after that, I couldn't get the PC to boot (Once again, all fans run, just no display or POST beeps), so I called it a night again, but am unable to get it to boot today. I've tried breadboarding, and troubleshooting all the parts, I couldn't get any POST beeps at all (I covered everything in http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] problems).

So now, I'm beginning to question whether this maybe a motherboard issue, rather than the PSU. My current build is:
Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme3
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 6870
CPU: AMD FX-4100 Black Edition 3.6-3.8gHz (Bulldozer chip)
RAM: 2x4GB Ripjaw Vengeance
PSU: Alpine Silent 550W

Would anyone happen to have a solution to this issue? I attempted to search for an answer on the forum, but couldn't seem to locate anything familiar enough to this issue. Is there any ways I can troubleshoot the Mobo and PSU - I have no issues with replacing the PSU, as I had anticipated it dying within the year - but since there's no POST I can't determine where the issues lies.

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 5:29:26 AM

have you attempted it w/o the graphics card?

i know you won't get a display but you would hear the post beep.
August 18, 2012 5:47:54 AM

Yep, have attempted without the graphics card, didn't hear any POST beeps. But, once again, the PC bizarrely completed it's POST - I hadn't done anything to the computer, but it's now decided to boot. I'd really like to find what's causing this.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 6:13:08 AM

wow. this is one of those things that can get extremely frustrating.

it most likely going to be a process of swapping out stuff until the problem stops. though i have my doubts it is the PSU, a common symptom is no power so with the fans spinning you got something.

when you "breadboarded" it; did you try with no ram sticks in and get the error beep for that?
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 6:58:19 AM

Clear CMOS, and try one stick of memory, then the other.

* If that fails use memory from another PC.
* Make sure every cable is firmly connected.
* Reseat all cards in the PCI slots.
August 18, 2012 11:02:24 AM

Have tried both with no sticks of memory, no POST beeps at all, also have cleared the CMOS, tried with 1 stick of memory, then the other in multiple slots, and still no POST beeps, or response other than the fans running. Will have to try and get my hands on some other memory - everything else I have isn't compatible.

This is one of those things I suppose, but I sure hope it's not going cost too much in the end! Thanks for your help :) 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 5:31:54 PM

Zew said:
Have tried both with no sticks of memory, no POST beeps at all, also have cleared the CMOS, tried with 1 stick of memory, then the other in multiple slots, and still no POST beeps, or response other than the fans running. Will have to try and get my hands on some other memory - everything else I have isn't compatible.

This is one of those things I suppose, but I sure hope it's not going cost too much in the end! Thanks for your help :) 

if i read that right; having no post beeps w/o any RAM inserted leads me to believe that yes, the mobo is flonky.
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 5:49:22 PM

Your motherboard does not show any error codes on it?

Using your power supply, will your DVD drive open when connected?

Take out the battery for 5 minutes, plug it back in, do a CMOS reset again, put one ram stick in closest to the CPU, re connect all cables firmly. Unplug everything USB except the keyboard.

Are you using an 4\8 pin to the CPU?

Try only use graphics card in a PCI-e 2.0 lane.

If nothing still works try a PSU from the PC you're currently using and plug in only the 24 and 4\8 pins to the board to see if it does post and beep. This should tell you if it's the PSU or not.

It could be a RAM issue too, try another set of DDR3 if possible. If nothing still works it could be the motherboard itself.

Also make sure there is no contact between the motherboard and the case.

It sounds like the motherboard to me, but try the other things to just be sure.


You're in some luck if it's the motherboard, you're warranty has not expired if it's only 6 months old.

Quote:
ASRock provide 1 year warranty service to Authorized Distributor, users should refer to the retailer or original vender RMA & Refund policy. If experiencing difficulties in warranty service through your dealer or place of purchase, ASRock will attempt to resolve this issue. For the motherboard that out of warranty, there is a $35.00 service charge + shipping for each item. ASRock America will only provide warranty service to ASRock products purchased within North America.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 5:58:16 PM

edogawa said:
Your motherboard does not show any error codes on it?

Using your power supply, will your DVD drive open when connected?

Take out the battery for 5 minutes, plug it back in, do a CMOS reset again, put one ram stick in closest to the CPU, re connect all cables firmly. Unplug everything USB except the keyboard.

Are you using an 4\8 pin to the CPU?

Try only use graphics card in a PCI-e 2.0 lane.

If nothing still works try a PSU from the PC you're currently using and plug in only the 24 and 4\8 pins to the board to see if it does post and beep. This should tell you if it's the PSU or not.

It could be a RAM issue too, try another set of DDR3 if possible. If nothing still works it could be the motherboard itself.

Also make sure there is no contact between the motherboard and the case.

It sounds like the motherboard to me, but try the other things to just be sure.


You're in some luck if it's the motherboard, you're warranty has not expired if it's only 6 months old.

Quote:
ASRock provide 1 year warranty service to Authorized Distributor, users should refer to the retailer or original vender RMA & Refund policy. If experiencing difficulties in warranty service through your dealer or place of purchase, ASRock will attempt to resolve this issue. For the motherboard that out of warranty, there is a $35.00 service charge + shipping for each item. ASRock America will only provide warranty service to ASRock products purchased within North America.


the OP stated he went through this guide which covers all that.

no offense just an FYI.
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 8:44:34 PM

Anonymous said:
the OP stated he went through this guide which covers all that.

no offense just an FYI.


Obviously I can see that, I just wanted him to double check those specific things again, he could have missed something on his first run through.
August 21, 2012 6:59:58 AM

edogawa said:


Using your power supply, will your DVD drive open when connected?



My motherboard doesn't display any sort of error codes, aside from the POST beeps, which I've heard none in this case. Now, for the DVD drive, I have noticed that it opens when you computer is going to boot, is this a sign that it's a motherboard issue specifically? I was curious beforehand as it won't open when all the fans run with no display, but wasn't sure if it was relevant.

Sadly, since I'm in Australia, it seems I won't benefit from their return policy - but it does appear I may have to purchase another mobo. I'd just like to ask also, is there any possibility that this issue could be that the power supply doesn't provide enough power for the motherboard - or is that illogical? I know I flunked out with the PSU, and I'm hoping that maybe I haven't damaged anything as a result of that decision. I'd hate to have the motherboard as the issue, but if that's how it is, I suppose I'll have to pick up a new one, preferably not ASRock? :) 

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2012 7:58:58 AM

if your PSU is in question, which it is, you ought to get a better one. if it turns that that if it is your motherboard, which i doubt because it wouldn't boot at all, then at least you will have more confidence in your PSU after replacing your motherboard..
August 21, 2012 8:13:10 AM

Yeah, I suppose it's the only way to have a definitive answer. What wattage would you recommend for my system, I want to stray away from sitting at the bare minimum for my system. I feel if I potentially go for a 750W Corsair PSU I'll be in a relatively safe position.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2012 8:20:08 AM

naw, only a pair of power hungry graphics cards need a 750 watt psu.

a quality 550 watt will be enough for any single graphics card. getting too big of a SU is almost as bad as too little.

you can split the difference and get a Corsair TX650 V2, most excellent PSU.
August 22, 2012 9:21:14 AM

Anonymous said:
if your PSU is in question, which it is, you ought to get a better one. if it turns that that if it is your motherboard, which i doubt because it wouldn't boot at all, then at least you will have more confidence in your PSU after replacing your motherboard..


Bummer, I'm afraid it was not the PSU in this case, still the same issues as before. I suppose the next step for me is looking into buying a new motherboard.
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 1:31:17 PM

The only thing I can find is that the 4gb G.Skill is not on the memory support list, only the 2gb. Sure, everybody syas the list is out-dated or not complete but surely they would have listed G.Skill 4gb ram if it was compatibler as they have listed othe brands at 4gb that is compatible.

If you give the model number (and speed mhz) of the g.Skill ram, you can check the g.skill site to see if it is compatible with the motherboard.

http://www.gskill.com/search.php?search=QVNSb2NrIDk3MCB...
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/?cat=Memory

The DVD tray opeing on its own is a sign that the PSU is inefficient. You really need about 650 watts.
August 23, 2012 12:02:08 AM

TenPc said:
The only thing I can find is that the 4gb G.Skill is not on the memory support list, only the 2gb. Sure, everybody syas the list is out-dated or not complete but surely they would have listed G.Skill 4gb ram if it was compatibler as they have listed othe brands at 4gb that is compatible.

If you give the model number (and speed mhz) of the g.Skill ram, you can check the g.skill site to see if it is compatible with the motherboard.

http://www.gskill.com/search.php?search=QVNSb2NrIDk3MCB...
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/?cat=Memory

The DVD tray opeing on its own is a sign that the PSU is inefficient. You really need about 650 watts.


I do have spare G.Skill memory (2x4GB), but currently have the Corsair memory in my system, which hasn't seemed to be an issue.

So is the DVD tray a sign that it may be the PSU? Hrm, that's strange, even after I picked the 700W PSU last night the issue was unchanged. Have been looking into whether other people have had issues with my particular board, and I did find a few people with the exact same issue - one person even had gone through this board three times with the same issue. So, it seems I mucked up with the purchase of this board, and sadly since I'm outside of America, I'm unable to benefit from the RMA.
!