Questions about pagers (beepers) and cell phones....

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 7, 2005 2:51:18 PM

I have a Motorola V180 phone. I'm the type of person that really doesn't
like to carry much stuff. I've gotten used to carrying my very thin wallet,
my key ring with just 3 keys (house, car-key, girl-friends car key) and my
phone.

So, I just started this new job and they gave me a pager that I'm supposed
to carry "at all time." I guess the reason is that we live in an area
where cell phone coverage can be spotty and it is sometimes important that
they can reach me whenever something comes up.

So.....

#1: Am I right in thinking the the technology used by pagers is more
reliable and works in MANY more places than cell phone technology?

#2: Are there any phones / services that offer cellular AND paging service
in one device?
(I'm not just talking about text messaging on the phone...but actual
beeper/pager service)

Thanks,
Gary
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 8:27:29 PM

In article <G_epe.2207$HT1.1475@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
jabadoodle@yahoo.com says...

> #1: Am I right in thinking the the technology used by pagers is more
> reliable and works in MANY more places than cell phone technology?

Paging companies have been steadily shrinking. I really doubt if they
work in more areas than cell phones now--in fact the opposite may be
true considering overall coverage. I now get text messages when roaming
in remote towns where my national pager never worked. Pagers MIGHT
reach to more "odd" places like in a basement but if a cell phone isn't
reachable text messages will be held until it is--unlike regular pagers
which would miss the message (some "1 1/2 way" pagers and probably all
"2 way" pagers also hold messages).

> #2: Are there any phones / services that offer cellular AND paging service
> in one device?
> (I'm not just talking about text messaging on the phone...but actual
> beeper/pager service)

Not that I know of. There WAS one phone/pager announced years ago that
had both but I don't think it ever made it to market.

One problem I have with using text messageing on a cell phone instead of
a pager is that callers can't just call the pager direct. They've
either got to use a email-to-text message or a web page to send the
message OR call the phone and (assuming you don't answer) opt out of the
voice mail menu to get to the paging option. That's something that an
automated system cannot always do--what's it going to do if YOU answer
the phone--it plays the beeps in your ear. Unless you only have ONE
such system paging you or you have perfect pitch and can identify the
tones you can't tell which system is paging much less what the message
is. Cingular DOES have an 800# that puts you straight into the text
message system (800-856-6122) but by the time you put in the cell phone
number and pauses and #'s it's a lot of digits. I ran out of space a
couple of times. I solved it for myself by using a one-number service
where if the caller presses a digit it stops the call from forwarding
and initiates a menu where paging is an option. Since it's a private
800# that cut the number of digits down for the calling device. It's
too bad the cellular carriers don't offer you a 2nd number (for a small
fee of course) that would kick the caller straight to the paging
option--they don't seem to realize there are still uses for simple
paging.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA