Do memory cards have batteries or somthing?

It's wierd. It's like my memory card is getting old or somthing. When I
go to the memory card screen and stick it in, it acts like it is corrupt
and wont load. If I keep trying over and over it works but lately its
taking forever. When the roblem first started I only had to try like 5
times or so. Now I can be sitting there for like 6 minutes trying to get
it to load. Coincidentally this is my oldest memory card. Any idea what
this is about?

I do actually have genuinely corrupted data on the card as well but its
not the first time. Even with corrupted data on the card it still loaded
just fine and you could see the files.

On 2005-01-28 11:11:24 -0800, th3@pacbell.net (Sai ) said:

> It's wierd. It's like my memory card is getting old or somthing. When I
> go to the memory card screen and stick it in, it acts like it is corrupt
> and wont load. If I keep trying over and over it works but lately its
> taking forever. When the roblem first started I only had to try like 5
> times or so. Now I can be sitting there for like 6 minutes trying to get
> it to load. Coincidentally this is my oldest memory card. Any idea what
> this is about?
> I do actually have genuinely corrupted data on the card as well but its
> not the first time. Even with corrupted data on the card it still loaded
> just fine and you could see the files.

Sounds like the media in the card is wearing out (not able to keep the
charge stable). I would strongly recommend getting a new card and
copying the data over to the new one as soon as possible. Then throw
away the old card.

-er

Email: extrarice at gmail dot com

"Sai " <th3@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> It's wierd. It's like my memory card is getting old or somthing. When I
> go to the memory card screen and stick it in, it acts like it is corrupt
> and wont load. If I keep trying over and over it works but lately its
> taking forever. When the roblem first started I only had to try like 5
> times or so. Now I can be sitting there for like 6 minutes trying to get
> it to load. Coincidentally this is my oldest memory card. Any idea what
> this is about?
>
> I do actually have genuinely corrupted data on the card as well but its
> not the first time. Even with corrupted data on the card it still loaded
> just fine and you could see the files.

Thaz just sony:)

wooop...i'm a little drunk so i posted on a gamecube njuz, damn:)
podzraf rvatima:)

"Sai " <th3@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> It's wierd. It's like my memory card is getting old or somthing. When I
> go to the memory card screen and stick it in, it acts like it is corrupt
> and wont load. If I keep trying over and over it works but lately its
> taking forever. When the roblem first started I only had to try like 5
> times or so. Now I can be sitting there for like 6 minutes trying to get
> it to load. Coincidentally this is my oldest memory card. Any idea what
> this is about?
>
> I do actually have genuinely corrupted data on the card as well but its
> not the first time. Even with corrupted data on the card it still loaded
> just fine and you could see the files.

"Sai " <th3@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:th3-2801051111250001@192.168.123.157...
> It's wierd. It's like my memory card is getting old or somthing. When I
> go to the memory card screen and stick it in, it acts like it is corrupt
> and wont load. If I keep trying over and over it works but lately its
> taking forever. When the roblem first started I only had to try like 5
> times or so. Now I can be sitting there for like 6 minutes trying to get
> it to load. Coincidentally this is my oldest memory card. Any idea what
> this is about?
>
> I do actually have genuinely corrupted data on the card as well but its
> not the first time. Even with corrupted data on the card it still loaded
> just fine and you could see the files.

Aren't they flash memory?

Sai <th3@pacbell.net> wrote:
>It's wierd. It's like my memory card is getting old or somthing. When I
>go to the memory card screen and stick it in, it acts like it is corrupt
>and wont load. If I keep trying over and over it works but lately its
>taking forever. When the roblem first started I only had to try like 5
>times or so. Now I can be sitting there for like 6 minutes trying to get
>it to load. Coincidentally this is my oldest memory card. Any idea what
>this is about?

Memory cards can wear out. The flash memory technology they use only
allows it to be rewritten so many times. Normally though, you need to
have used it *alot* to wear it out, thousands of times.

An other problem you could be having is that the contacts on your memory
can get dirty and even wear out. You might want to try cleaning them
to see if that helps.

Whatever the problem is, I'd be happy that you're able to get any data
out of the card at all. Buy a new memory card, copy the what you can
to it, and stop using the old card before it fails completely.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

In article <ctehdl$r1a$1@rumours.uwaterloo.ca>, rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
(Ross Ridge) wrote:

> Sai <th3@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >It's wierd. It's like my memory card is getting old or somthing. When I
> >go to the memory card screen and stick it in, it acts like it is corrupt
> >and wont load. If I keep trying over and over it works but lately its
> >taking forever. When the roblem first started I only had to try like 5
> >times or so. Now I can be sitting there for like 6 minutes trying to get
> >it to load. Coincidentally this is my oldest memory card. Any idea what
> >this is about?
>
> Memory cards can wear out. The flash memory technology they use only
> allows it to be rewritten so many times. Normally though, you need to
> have used it *alot* to wear it out, thousands of times.
>
> An other problem you could be having is that the contacts on your memory
> can get dirty and even wear out. You might want to try cleaning them
> to see if that helps.
>
> Whatever the problem is, I'd be happy that you're able to get any data
> out of the card at all. Buy a new memory card, copy the what you can
> to it, and stop using the old card before it fails completely.
>
> Ross Ridge

Unfortunately the data I have on this card is data from my PSO games so I
can't copy it to another card...

Sai <th3@pacbell.net> wrote:
>Unfortunately the data I have on this card is data from my PSO games so I
>can't copy it to another card...

Hmm... assuming cleaning the card's contacts doesn't help, you might want
to look into the PSO exploit people use to pirate games on the GameCube.
You can also use it to run a memory card copying program that will let
you copy protected saves like your PSO save game data.

Ross Ridge

--

In article <cu2a7i$eg4$1@rumours.uwaterloo.ca>, rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
(Ross Ridge) wrote:

> rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge) wrote:
> > Whatever the problem is, I'd be happy that you're able to get any data
> > out of the card at all. Buy a new memory card, copy the what you can
> > to it, and stop using the old card before it fails completely.
>
> Sai <th3@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >Unfortunately the data I have on this card is data from my PSO games so I
> >can't copy it to another card...
>
> Hmm... assuming cleaning the card's contacts doesn't help, you might want
> to look into the PSO exploit people use to pirate games on the GameCube.
> You can also use it to run a memory card copying program that will let
> you copy protected saves like your PSO save game data.
>
> Ross Ridge

Yeah I've looked into it but that stuff is too confusing :) I'm not to
familiar with PCs to begin with. I did find a Mac version but unlike the
PC versions I can't even find any information on how to use it. Think I'm
just screwed.