Asmedia SATA's any good?

rhysdalegend

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hey guys, back again for a random question.

1.) Im wondering if its ok to use my internal blu-ray player with an Asmedia SATA3 (6gps) port.

I was reading on a thread in another forum that stated that they were to be used for disk storage drives..

Kind of kicking myself because i bought the Asrock Z77 extreme 6 mobo that has only 2 intel SATA3 ports and 4 sata2 ports plus the asmedia SATA3 ports.. :(
Should of looked into it, bit limited to the high performance SATA ports now

My system is
Asrock Z77 extreme 6 mobo
I5 3570K
8gb DDR3
750PSU
HD 5870
Samsung Blu-ray internal drive---Using Asmedia SATA 3 port
WD Caviar Black 500gb (SATA2)---using Intel SATA 2 port, GAMES
WD Caviar Black 2TB (SATA3)---Using Intel SATA 3 port, STORAGE
Crucial M4 128gb (SATA3)---Using Intel SATA 3 Port, BOOT DRIVE

2.) My second question is, if i were to purchase another SSD in the future for the sole purpose of games (loading times) What would be my best option? Would an SSD with games on it still perform well with an Asmedia SATA port?

Thanks

Rhys

Intel designed the Z77 chipset with a maximum of two SATA3 6Gb/s ports.

Even the LGA 2011 socket motherboards with the Intel X79 Express chipset has the same two SATA3 6Gb/s port design limitation.

Motherboards that have more than two SATA3 6Gb/s ports will use a separate SATA3 controller chip to support those additional ports.

Were you expecting another Intel chipset to have more than two SATA3 6Gb/s ports? It's not available with any of their current generation chipsets.

You can experiment with connecting your Blu-ray drive to the ASMedia ASM1061 and see if it works for you. You may/may not be able to boot from a bootable CD/DVD though but that's up to you to determine if it works and if you need that functionality.

HereToHelpYou

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
i know it's late but want to help you. if you have hard drive connected to sata2 performance is same as on sata3 because hard drives don't even get sata2 speed. so all hard drives (not ssd's) can go in sata2 ports. bluray also cannot achieve that speed so plug it in the sata2. and for ssd's plug them in the sata3 (intel z77 chip) and if you already have 2 ssd's (you don't) plug third/fourth in sata3 with asmedia chip.

In short, the native SATA ports always are the best to populate first. Each Intel SATA Port offers full bandwidth and are not part of any PCIe switch (latency) or sharing (bandwidth).

ANS 1 - it wouldn't be my choice and the reason is installing/repairing the OS.
ANS 2 - use the Intel SATA3 port and move the WD Caviar Black 2TB to the Intel SATA2 ports.

Don't confuse 'Interface' with 'Bandwidth' or simply speed, on the best day a HDD is fully saturating SATA1, half SATA2, or a quarter SATA3.

Example of 'sharing' & 'Interface':
ASMedia ASM1061 - http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?cate_index=117&item=118
"- x1 PCI Express lane for 2.5 and 5GHz signaling"
Translated into real numbers; each x1 PCIe 2.0 lane = 500MB/s

"- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061"
Translated into real numbers; 500MB/s / 2 SATA3 Ports = 250MB/s per SATA3 port

Intel SATA3 Port = 600MB/s (not shared) per port.

TSSPat

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I am 99.9% positive that the ASMedia Controller is unable to read any type of Optical Drive. (Pain int he ass i know.. I have my entire Intel Controller full with 3 HDDs and 1 SSD... So now im SOL for finding a way to have my BD hook up somewhere..

itsmeok

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Does anyone know how to get the ASMedia Controller to recognize 3TB drives? I tried them on mine and they show up as only ~768MB