Voltages ?

znxownage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Problem laid out :

Mouse not working as it should, suppossedly because of the Voltage readings.

Solutions tried :

Mouse tried on another friends computer. (Works)
Bought a new UPS.
Bought a new PSU. (Worked at first then same problem came again )
Cleaned out the entire Cabinet.

Explanation :
My mouse freezes during usage. Voltage readings way off. I bought a new PSU because the voltage readings were so, at first it was working just fine and the voltages were correct, after 10-15 mins, the voltage readings went wrong and the mouse stopped working properly again :( Any help would be appreciated! I've been sitting with this problem for days without a solution.

Readings

Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 0 1.10 Volts [0x45] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 2.48 Volts [0x9B] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 1.79 Volts [0x70] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 5.64 Volts [0xD2] (+5V)
Voltage 4 12.03 Volts [0xBC] (+12V)
Voltage 5 -4.67 Volts [0x49] (-12V)
Voltage 6 -11.78 Volts [0xB8] (-5V)
Voltage 7 5.11 Volts [0xBE] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 3.09 Volts [0xC1] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 24°C (75°F) [0x18] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 40°C (103°F) [0x28] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 25°C (76°F) [0x19] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 1415 RPM [0x1DD] (FANIN0)
Fan 1 1313 RPM [0x202] (FANIN1)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM2)

Solution
G
i am confused how the mouse works but the computer doesn't turn on.
how do you know it works without the computer on?

znxownage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 4200+
RAM: 2GB 800Mhz (Not sure of the models or company)
Motherboard: Manufacturer's (Acer )
GPU: Inbuilt Nvidia GeForce 6100
PSU: Currently 450Watt Frontech PSU
HDD: WD 320GB
OS type : Windows 7 32 bit
Mouse : Logitech M100

G

gonna need a little more info than
Motherboard: Manufacturer's (Acer )
all that means is you have an acer the computer seller not the manufacturer.

if you can't find it how about the model name and number.

but off the rip, sounds like the usb on the motherboard is flonky, this would have nothing to do with the PSU.

if so you can either get a ps/2 mouse (old school) or another motherboard.

znxownage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
^ No no no, check the voltage readings of the -12V and the -5V (Someone told me -5V is used for USB ports ? ) So might that be causing the problems? (Readings are in the first post.)

znxownage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Nope, the Printer and Keyboard work flawlessly!
Well, @looniam The voltages are supposed to be like that? the -12V at around -5v? o.o

Edit :
Here :
Voltage 5 -4.67 Volts [0x49] (-12V)
Voltage 6 -11.78 Volts [0xB8] (-5V)

G

the software is reading wrong having -4.67 on the -12 and -11.78 on the -5 volt

too close to -12 and -5 but inn the wrong place.

znxownage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Might be, but the thing is, when i bought the new PSU, the readings were just fine! and then the fan started spinning fast and the voltages changed o.o . To me it seemed like one of those capacitators burnt out '.' . My previous PSU had some sorta yellow-ish thing on 3 of those in the PSU, is it normal?

G

it just seems the readings are backwards.
but as far as them reading correctly then the PSU fan spinning causing different readings; i cannot explain.

your previous PSU did have some capacitors that failed:
Visual Signs of Capacitor Failure
failed-jackcon-capacitors-small.jpg

znxownage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
I just checked it out and there isnt any symptom of them broken. But one or two of them are SLIGHTLY bulged out at the top. Might that change anything?

btw Just now i tried my friends PS/2 Mouse on my computer, and THE MOUSE works like a charm, but the computer doesn't turn on o.o Any fix?
The mouse' lights are working flawlessly while my current USB mouse's lights go off whenever i take if off the mousepad o.o
Please do help :D Thanks! ^^

G

even a slight bulge is bad, there doesn't need to be anything leaking. i think i owe you an apology for thinking the PSU was fine and the readings were wrong. or do you mean that the slightly bulged on is on the motherboard?

First, modern PSU's do not produce a -5 volt output.

Second, a lot of software does not reliably report voltages. Use the PC Health tab in the BIOS.

Third, if a system will boot and run, you may have out of tolerance voltages, but there is nothing substantially wrong with the PSU.

Fourth, the most accurate way to check PSU voltages is with a portable DMM. I use a Sears Craftsman Model 82345 Digital Multimeter - about $20.

Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%. The green wire should read 5 volts and drop to around 0 volts when you press the case power switch and back to 5 volts when you release the switch..

znxownage

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
@looniam

It's on the motherboard! So no apologies are required :D

@jsc

The PC Health tab doesn't show the -V readings for me o.o Only the + ones.

Yep, it'll boot and run! ^_^

Hmm but then I'll have to spend 20$ just to check my voltages right ;o

Oh and 1 thing? (From my previous post)

Just now i tried my friends PS/2 Mouse on my computer, and THE MOUSE works like a charm, but the computer doesn't turn on o.o Any fix?
The mouse' lights are working flawlessly while my current USB mouse's lights go off whenever i take if off the mousepad o.o

Thank you to both of you for all the help you have given and are going to give ^^

G

i am confused how the mouse works but the computer doesn't turn on.
how do you know it works without the computer on?

Solution
G

ok, only thing i can say is that if you have a capacitor with a bulge on the top is is likely bad and could be what is causing the problem.

G

you could try to change the capacitor but that would take precise soldering skills.

without knowing your motherboard model and just going off your cpu this might be a suitable replacement:
ASRock A785GM-LE $58.99

though with the age of the cpu and assuming you're running ddr2 ram it would benefit you to upgrade the cpu, motherboard and ram.

G

yeah everything today is DDR3 RAM.

and that cpu wouldn't be supported by any motherboard using DDR3 AFAIK.

there are youtube videos for everything! :)