Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Are these specs good for a decent gaming computer?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 18, 2011 10:56:39 AM

Hi guys, I'm getting a new custom built gaming PC and I have a budget of £800.
I have put together what I think are good specs, but I want to make sure they are good.


CPU+ Motherboard: i5 2500k+ Biostar TP67B+ LGA 1155 P67 ATX
GPU: GeForce GTX 580
Case: Antec 300 Illusion (If it all fits)
RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB CL7 1600 MHz Trident DDR3
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU- 650TX
HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
DVD drive: Any

Cheers.
August 18, 2011 11:41:25 AM

IIzRAPTORzII said:
Hi guys, I'm getting a new custom built gaming PC and I have a budget of £800.
I have put together what I think are good specs, but I want to make sure they are good.


CPU+ Motherboard: i5 2500k+ Biostar TP67B+ LGA 1155 P67 ATX
GPU: GeForce GTX 580
Case: Antec 300 Illusion (If it all fits)
RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB CL7 1600 MHz Trident DDR3
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU- 650TX
HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
DVD drive: Any

Cheers.


From what I've heard, sometimes Biostar motherboards can be a bit dodgy. on this one iparticular, there have been a few cases where there have been an error found on the P67 chipset. Also, their customer support services are rubbish
graphics card is a nice one that would be fine. will you be using 64-bit windows I take it? as 32-bit can only support up to 3GB physical memory.
Harddrive wise, whilst you have enough space, I would recommend having several smaller hard drives instead of 1 big hard drive as this gives you more read/write capacity amongst the drive. for example, you could have a hard drive for windows and documents and then a hard drive for gaming.
other than that, I think you have a good line up. could I ask how much this cost?
August 18, 2011 2:09:48 PM

Basically, I won't go cheap for mobo. I prefer ASUS, Gigabyte, or MSI.
Related resources
August 26, 2011 8:41:02 AM

daniel508 said:
From what I've heard, sometimes Biostar motherboards can be a bit dodgy. on this one iparticular, there have been a few cases where there have been an error found on the P67 chipset. Also, their customer support services are rubbish
graphics card is a nice one that would be fine. will you be using 64-bit windows I take it? as 32-bit can only support up to 3GB physical memory.
Harddrive wise, whilst you have enough space, I would recommend having several smaller hard drives instead of 1 big hard drive as this gives you more read/write capacity amongst the drive. for example, you could have a hard drive for windows and documents and then a hard drive for gaming.
other than that, I think you have a good line up. could I ask how much this cost?


Okay thanks, so what motherboard would be good then? I know ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI but is there a specific model? I will be using 64-bit windows and its roughly £700. I haven't actually gone to my local PC store yet, so that might not be the exact price.

Cheers.
August 26, 2011 9:19:48 AM

Ok lets have a look, a £800 budget with a GTX 580?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 £75
CPU: i5-2500k £151
GPU: MSI 1536MB GeForce GTX 580 Twin Frozr II/OC £375
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB £45
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 650w £63
Optical Drive: SATA DVDRW IHAS122-18 LiteOn £14
HDD: Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 £40
Case: Antec 300 - £??
CPU Cooler: ? (only required if overclocking heavily)

£763 there without a case, priced up using www.SCAN.co.uk

Money saving options:
Cheaper GPU: PNY 1536MB GeForce GTX 580 £348
4GB RAM instead of 8GB: Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz £24
August 26, 2011 7:37:08 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Ok lets have a look, a £800 budget with a GTX 580?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 £75
CPU: i5-2500k £151
GPU: MSI 1536MB GeForce GTX 580 Twin Frozr II/OC £375
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB £45
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 650w £63
Optical Drive: SATA DVDRW IHAS122-18 LiteOn £14
HDD: Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 £40
Case: Antec 300 - £??
CPU Cooler: ? (only required if overclocking heavily)

£763 there without a case, priced up using www.SCAN.co.uk

Money saving options:
Cheaper GPU: PNY 1536MB GeForce GTX 580 £348
4GB RAM instead of 8GB: Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz £24


So what your saying is that the specs you said are getting me more bang for my buck? Sorry I'm new to all this technical stuff. :p 
!