Sign in with
Your question

HD 6570 on windows xp vs windows 7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2011 2:44:16 PM

I got confused when i looked at so many categories but anyways please don't mind me posting in the wrong section.

First off i just want to say that please don't go saying that i should upgrade this or that and just stick to my question. I've come here to seek help because i've looked at several threads and the people here are quite helpful.

Specs:
amd 64 x2 4400+ ~2.31 ghz
1.5 gb ddr2
HIS HD 6570 1gb ddr3 passive cooler w/e custom 110mm fan stuck on it.

Games i've played are Mafia 2 on max with 1440 x 900 pixels (that's the highest pixels my monitor supports) so i bought this card about 2 days ago because i didn't want to go for higher cards as they would enable me to play games on higher resolution which would be useless for me unless i buy a new monitor which i can't...

Enough said, now my question is, i've been experiencing lags and stuff on windows xp SP3 (even after a fresh install) and i quite like windows 7 on my laptop (2 ghz dual core, 4gb ddr2, hd 4200) and it's quite smooth on it...i want to ask that if i switch to window 7 on my current rig, would it significantly decrease FPS? or would it be like 2-5 FPS difference...also if there's a way to force games to use directx 9..i mean like all of the games...

Any other kind of tip would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: Also i was surprised when i saw that HD 6570 beats 9800 GT according to this benchmark so i also want to know how this works.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

More about : 6570 windows windows

a c 130 U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 3:24:40 PM

Look I know what you said about just answering the question but that card really is very low end and wont beat a 9800GT, not even close.
To answer your question W7 would probably give you + 2-3 FPS rather than reduce it. However and here we go again.
Your Ram. Well you see the stuff really wants to run in Dual mode but that would mean 2GB and not 1.5 so you are loosing a fair bit of performance there, considering most people rum 4 Gb as standard 2 GB really is a minimum.
Yes i know what you said but you would need to buy the W7 anyway, and it really will make a difference.
So
Yes put W7 on it if you want but you have bought a too low powered GPU and you really do need to get Dual Ram going.
Either buying a Dual 4GB Ram kit or sending the 6570 back and getting a 6670 would benefit you more than buying a new Operating system.
Making games run DX9 wouldn't mean they would run faster if thats what you are thinking, the new cards are designed to run higher DX standards, just turn settings down to up FPS.

Mactronix :) 
June 15, 2011 3:37:51 PM

thanks a lot for being polite...then the people just cursing and saying that your card sucks and all that...but i mean i'm not a heavy gamer and the problem is the PSU i'm using, hd 5670 couldn't run on my PSU that is why i had to buy a hd 6570 passively cooled and then buying a PSU for 50$ wasn't worth it...anyways tbh, my card performs fine..

According to your answer i guess that if i loose FPS in windows 7, that would only be because of ram and not directx 9 and 10 difference....
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 3:52:15 PM

shad0wboss said:
thanks a lot for being polite...then the people just cursing and saying that your card sucks and all that...but i mean i'm not a heavy gamer and the problem is the PSU i'm using, hd 5670 couldn't run on my PSU that is why i had to buy a hd 6570 passively cooled and then buying a PSU for 50$ wasn't worth it...anyways tbh, my card performs fine..

According to your answer i guess that if i loose FPS in windows 7, that would only be because of ram and not directx 9 and 10 difference....

I would be very very surprised if you didn't gain slightly regardless of the ram situation. W7 isn't like Vista where you needed a better PC to run to the same level as you did in XP. Microsoft learnt the lesson there. there are several things built into W7 that all things being equal should help with teh lack of ram rather than make you suffer for it like Vista did.

Basic question, would it be a bad idea to upgrade to W7
basic answer, No it would be a good idea

Mactronix ;) 
June 15, 2011 6:06:39 PM

but i've seen some benchmarks and there's a decrease of 5-10 FPS when switching from xp 32bit to windows 7 32bit which is significantly huge for a moderate gfx card such as HD 6570
June 15, 2011 7:17:08 PM

Windows 7 is 100% better i hafe windows 7 Ultimate en its looks better then XP or Vista
a c 130 U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 9:12:48 PM

shad0wboss said:
but i've seen some benchmarks and there's a decrease of 5-10 FPS when switching from xp 32bit to windows 7 32bit which is significantly huge for a moderate gfx card such as HD 6570

Benchmarks from where ? no offense to you but the last one you linked was about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
I have personally upgraded from XP to W7 and found only gains and positives.

Mactronix :) 
!