Trying to move modem upstairs but not getting any DSL signal

G

Hi guys,

I'm not an especially technically competent person when it comes to these, but I will try to do my best to communicate what I know.

I am home for Canadian thanksgiving, and my Dad has asked me to move the modem/router (two in one device) upstairs from the basement where it is currently situated because there is no one using internet in the basement for eight months of the year and the connection upstairs is particularly poor. As it stands now, the modem does not receive DSL signal (that is, the DSL does not come on) if plugged in upstairs.

Using the jack downstairs, the DSL functions just fine, with a light for DSL and internet.

My understanding of DSL is that it works through a normal phone line, and that provided filters are used on analogue devices, they continue to function as normal despite the digital signal.

At present the phone jack upstairs has an analogue phone plugged in through a plug-in filter, and I have tried the DSL both with and without the filter and still get no signal.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I going to have to call the phone company?

G

Normally best to site a DSL router next to the primary phone socket (the first one in from the street) which may be in the basement -- if it's a special socket designed for DSL, it may be filtering all the extensions -- thus no joy on them.

G

Well, first check what you have. See if the basement socket looks significantly different from the extensions. See, if you can, where the line comes in from the street and where the first socket is located. Logically it will be on the ground floor (sometimes called the 1st floor by English speaking people outside the UK).

By the way, moving a wireless router from a basement is a good idea -- it's about the worst place for wireless.