disable ballon tips not working

I can't disable balloon tips though I believe I've followed knowledge base
article 307729 to the letter. It calls for adding a dword value to the
registry under:
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\advance
EnableBalloonTips with hex value 0.
I've done this rebooted and I still have balloon tips.
Anyone know what gives here?
3 answers Last reply
More about disable ballon tips working

    >I still have balloon tips.

    Where? The better question is do you understand the difference?

    How To: Turn off the Balloon Tooltips and Pop-ups

    Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Advanced/Uncheck Popup
    Descriptions for Folder and Desktop Items.

    TweakUI/Taskbar/Uncheck Enable Balloon Tips

    Or use this automated edit:

    Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Row 11)

    Disable All includes: Balloon Tips, Folder Contents Info Tips, Explorer
    Pop-Ups, Show Info Tips, Start Menu and Notification Area.

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "smk" <smk2436@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I can't disable balloon tips though I believe I've followed knowledge base
    > article 307729 to the letter. It calls for adding a dword value to the
    > registry under:
    > hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\advance
    > EnableBalloonTips with hex value 0.
    > I've done this rebooted and I still have balloon tips.
    > Anyone know what gives here?

    Thanks for the help, I thought task bar tips were notification area tips.

    > Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Advanced/Uncheck Popup
    > Descriptions for Folder and Desktop Items.
    >
    > TweakUI/Taskbar/Uncheck Enable Balloon Tips
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > Or use this automated edit:
    >
    > Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Row 11)
    >
    > Disable All includes: Balloon Tips, Folder Contents Info Tips, Explorer
    > Pop-Ups, Show Info Tips, Start Menu and Notification Area.

    Quick Launch and Taskbar Tips are not included, sad to say. A workaround
    has not been found as of yet.