Flash for RebelXT D

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Sunpack 433AF for Canon flash that I have been using for some
years with a Rebel XS film camera. I recently bought a Rebel XT D
digital (which, incidentally, I like very much). The XT does not
recognize that the flash is attached when I insert it into the hot
shoe. I checked that (a) the flash still works perfectly on the film
camera and (b) a Canon flash marketed specifically as an accessory to
its digital line works perfectly on the XT, so it is not a defective
part causing the XT problem.

A camera store salesman told me that it is a design problem. The film
and digital Rebels have different voltages on the main hot shoe pin.
Can anyone verify this?

Can you suggest a way, short of buying a new flash (I can think of
that myself), of mating the 433AF and the XT D?

Thanks, Bob

"Robert M. Mazo" <mazo@uoregon.edu> wrote in message
>I have a Sunpack 433AF for Canon flash that I have been using for some
> years with a Rebel XS film camera. I recently bought a Rebel XT D
> digital (which, incidentally, I like very much). The XT does not
> recognize that the flash is attached when I insert it into the hot
> shoe. I checked that (a) the flash still works perfectly on the film
> camera and (b) a Canon flash marketed specifically as an accessory to
> its digital line works perfectly on the XT, so it is not a defective
> part causing the XT problem.
>
> A camera store salesman told me that it is a design problem. The film
> and digital Rebels have different voltages on the main hot shoe pin.
> Can anyone verify this?
>
> Can you suggest a way, short of buying a new flash (I can think of
> that myself), of mating the 433AF and the XT D?
>
> Thanks, Bob

Even if you use a device such as a Wein Safe Sync to regulate the voltage
down under 5 volts, I'm pretty sure this Sunpak is dedicated for Canon TTL
only. Canon digital needs E-TTL for through the lens automatic flash;
that's why the older Canon EZ flashes won't do auto flash on their digital
bodies. So it has more to do with the exposure system than the voltage.

Metz & Sigma both make E-TTL flashes. The Sigma EF-500 Super DG gets
consistently good comments from users. I have the non-DG version and use it
without major problems on a 10D.

You can use a flash that has an independent thyristor such as the 383 Super.
I used one briefly on a Canon G1 before getting the 420EX; if I recall, the
voltage on the 383 was under 6 volts but the exposures with the 420EX were
much better.

Mark

Robert M. Mazo <mazo@uoregon.edu> wrote in

> A camera store salesman told me that it is a design problem. The film
> and digital Rebels have different voltages on the main hot shoe pin.
> Can anyone verify this?

Yes. Furthermore, you can burn the digitals with overvoltage from older
flashguns. You *really* need to be cautious when hooking old equipment to
new bodies, and make sure they use no more than about 6 volts.

> Can you suggest a way, short of buying a new flash (I can think of
> that myself), of mating the 433AF and the XT D?

Not until you can establish what sort of juice it's going to put through
the hot shoe, no.