Why is my computer reading 4gb out of 6 gb of ram?

irvinth

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Im using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and when i got to see the systems specifications my computer only reads 4 gb out of 6gb of my ram, it says "2gb system reserved" what does that mean? does that always happen in computer ram? if thats so do i need to get at least a 8gb of ram because i plan to play crysis and other high end graphic games?

My specs are:
Intel core i7 980x 3.33 ghz
GIGABYTE GA X58A UD3R
CORSAIR HX 850W
ATI RADEON HD 5870
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 CASE
KINGSTON HYPER X 6GB (3* 2GB) RAM
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB HDD

Solution

It means one of your three sticks has been determined by the BIOS to be 'bad' so the BIOS is Disabling one of the sticks to prevent errors.

I would re-seat all three sticks and test again and if that fails the simplest is to boot with (1) stick at a time to find the culprit and RMA the bad stick to Kingston.

CPU: | -- | 2GB | -- | -- | -- | -- |

Normal Resource Monitor looks like this (<50MB as Hardware Reserved):

RM_7PRO6GB.gif

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Have you opened up the Windows Task Manager > Performance to see how much is being utilized?

Mine reads as follows (roughly):
Physical Memory (MB)
Total: 8087
Cached: 6484
Available: 6426
Free: 0

Also, have you tried using different slots (I assume you have 4)?

Edit: You can also open up Resource Monitor to get a better idea of how the RAM is used. Even though I have 8192 MB installed, only 6417 MB is available and 6444 MB is cached.

I have never seen my RAM usage exceed 6 gigs and that was under some heavy geoprocessing loads with ArcMap 10.

It means one of your three sticks has been determined by the BIOS to be 'bad' so the BIOS is Disabling one of the sticks to prevent errors.

I would re-seat all three sticks and test again and if that fails the simplest is to boot with (1) stick at a time to find the culprit and RMA the bad stick to Kingston.

CPU: | -- | 2GB | -- | -- | -- | -- |

Normal Resource Monitor looks like this (<50MB as Hardware Reserved):

RM_7PRO6GB.gif

Solution

TRENDING THREADS