• Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2011 4:03:04 PM

Hello I need some help.

Current PC:

Compaq Presario CQ5102F Desktop PC Product Specifications

Compaq Presario Q1859 LCD 18.5" 1366x768 wide-screen monito

Should I upgrade this PC with the price points 200-250.

OR

Buy this rig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here some more info.

1: My main concern is to play Starcraft 2 with medium or high settings. I also want to play SWTOR the new mmo due in fall. Also LIMBO, and most humble indie bundle games, like I boughr them but cant play 1/2 of them. Perhaps wow next expansion also.

2; Visit this link where WR2 helped me out greatly but I need more info.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/70798-35-need-good-la...

Thank You

More about : 200 250 upgrade 400 build

August 18, 2011 4:13:52 PM

It's tough because sc2 is a "hog" for resources. In all honesty you should take your hard drive (because it has the OS and will save you from having to buy another one) keyboard, mouse, screen case, power supply.
And start a whole new rig.

$80 video card
$80 motherboard
$30 RAM (4gigs ddr3)
$120 processesor (entry level quad core with OC capabilities)

Thats $310 bucks and would basically give you a new computer very capable of running sc2. and VERY capable of running wow at 720p res (your monitors max res)
Score
Related resources

Best solution

August 18, 2011 7:11:21 PM
August 19, 2011 5:27:54 AM

get a Phenom II X4 955 BE atleast.
Or, an i3 2100.
Score
August 19, 2011 10:35:35 AM

The Best Configs Buyers Guide: Budget AMD-Based Gaming PC Configuration competition has some of the same parts in a ~$462 new tower build:

Processor AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana-based 3.2 GHz CPU $78
Motherboard Biostar A880G+ Socket AM3 Motherboard $55
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit (2 x 2 GB) $30
Graphics Card XFX Radeon HD 6770 1 GB $120
Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive $50
Case Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid-Tower $50
Power Supply Corsair Builder CX500 500W 80 PLUS $60
DVD Burner Lite-On iHAS124 24x DVD±RW Drive $19
TOTAL : $462
Score
August 19, 2011 2:39:07 PM

It seems im better off upgrading my current PC with the above.

Also as WR2 knows I wanted a laptop at first but then I realized how much of a hassle it is after a bit.
So I decided to get a cheap PHONE plan conjoined with my dad and my sis, comes out to $90 a month and i get a free Galaxy S for all 3 of us. That has me covered for college, basically tech in college. And at home I can play my game, that also solves another dilemma. I wont be playing games while in college, so my dad is kinda happy on that. Now some questions.

The above upgrade, what settings can I play SC2 at and will I be able to play SWTOR, because I really want to play that MMO when it comes out.

Also is it really necessary to get a tool kit with the purchase or no. My dad is a construction worker so consider that.

What happens if I *** UP while installing the new parts. Do any major stores install them for you. Like best buy, I have most big chain ones near me so I can drive there.
Score
August 19, 2011 3:15:42 PM

pakisunny360 said:
It seems im better off upgrading my current PC with the above.

Also as WR2 knows I wanted a laptop at first but then I realized how much of a hassle it is after a bit.
So I decided to get a cheap PHONE plan conjoined with my dad and my sis, comes out to $90 a month and i get a free Galaxy S for all 3 of us. That has me covered for college, basically tech in college. And at home I can play my game, that also solves another dilemma. I wont be playing games while in college, so my dad is kinda happy on that. Now some questions.

The above upgrade, what settings can I play SC2 at and will I be able to play SWTOR, because I really want to play that MMO when it comes out.

Also is it really necessary to get a tool kit with the purchase or no. My dad is a construction worker so consider that.

What happens if I *** UP while installing the new parts. Do any major stores install them for you. Like best buy, I have most big chain ones near me so I can drive there.
IT is very simple to install all of the hardware, you can look up online tutorials explaining it. Most local shops do offer the build it for you service, but that just adds extra unnecessary cost to the build
Score
August 19, 2011 4:02:05 PM

Go for it, it will be a tremendous upgrade over you previous system.
Score
August 19, 2011 6:46:54 PM

I still recommend Phenom II X4 955BE + AM3+ MoBo.
Score
August 19, 2011 7:37:10 PM

The Radeon HD 6670 is a good choice if it's just $10 more than the HD 5670.
AMD Radeon HD 6670 Video Card Review

I think you'll have a real shot at playing SC2 on High settings on your 1366x768 LCD resolution.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The install should be straight forward I think. The only tricky part will figuring out the wiring for the case wires for the power switch, reset button (if any) HDD activity light and USB ports. You can probably trace the wire from the case to the motherboard connectors. Tag the wires with the connections they go to.

Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

-> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

While you're waiting for delivery you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.

Score
August 19, 2011 8:31:56 PM

Best answer selected by pakisunny360.
Score
August 19, 2011 8:39:02 PM

Thank You so much people, the parts are on the way, got myself a philips screw driver and construction type anti static band.

Now its time to wait.
Score
January 27, 2012 12:48:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!