Sign in with
Your question

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 Question

Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2011 6:45:02 PM

Hello,

I am considering buying a GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3, and putting an i7-2700K on it. Here is my question, can I run my ram at 1866, while at the same time, NOT overclocking my CPU?
a c 851 à CPUs
a c 152 K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 7:49:48 PM

Yes since the overclock on the "K" CPU is done with raising the multiplier not changing the fsb and the board supports the ram speed.
m
l
November 16, 2011 8:11:31 PM

Thank you very much!
m
l
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 8:19:26 PM

Rolli already got it but yes you can. I have a very similar board the GA-Z68-UD4-B3 and I changed the multiplier but not the RAM speed.
m
l
November 16, 2011 8:48:30 PM

I heard the some of the chipsets had problems, hince the B3 revision tag in a lot of boards. Will my GA-Z68-UD3 board have problems?

If so what are the problems?
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 8:51:17 PM

Gigabyte started shipping new revisions of its motherboards based on the B3 stepping of the Cougar Point chipset in March.

The new motherboard revisions was renamed so that they can be easily distinguished from the older B2 versions and carry the ‘B3’ tag at the end of the model name.

For example, the GA-P67A-UD7 has been replaced by the GA-P67A-UD7-B3 and the GA-H67A-UD3H has been replaced by the GA-H67A-UD3H-B3.

In addition, the printed circuit board (PCB) has also been updated to reflect the name change, while the BIOS POST screen identifies the chipset as the B3 revision.

On January 31, Intel announced the detection of a design error in the new Sandy Bridge-based 6-series support chip, also known as Cougar Point.

The bug made its way into almost all Sandy Bridge products shipped until then and could lead, in time, to a slower performing system as it affected the speed of the four SATA II 3Gbps ports built into the chipset.

At the heart of the problem is one of the transistors in the 3Gbps PLL clocking tree that was provided with too high of a voltage, resulting a leakage current which, over time, can cause the failure of the 3Gbps ports.

To correct this problem, Intel has started the fabrication of a new revision of the Cougar Point chipset, identified with the B3 stepping.
Soon after this, Gigabyte has announced that it plans to replace, or offer refunds, to all of its customers affected by this issue.

Furthermore, the company has released a tool which checks to see what SATA ports are used by the system and can also identify the revision of the chipset used by the board (in its latest version available here).
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2011 9:01:27 PM

loopup2u said:
Hello,

I am considering buying a GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3, and putting an i7-2700K on it. Here is my question, can I run my ram at 1866, while at the same time, NOT overclocking my CPU?
Just curious what you're planning on doing with an i7-2700K. If you're just gaming, then you could save some money and get an i5-2500K for the same performance. Also, why wouldn't you want to overclock the CPU? It's soooo easy to do light OC's with Sandy Bridge.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2011 9:45:00 PM

Guys, Z68 doesn't have the B3 stepping issues. It was launched after Cougar Point was fixed, so this is a pointless discussion.

If his board were P67 or H67, then it could matter. Correct me if I'm wrong and they actually did ship Z68 boards with the SATA issue months after it was fixed.
m
l
November 16, 2011 9:45:59 PM

So did I seriously just order a brand new mobo with a design flaw?

I just assumed when I saw "Tom’s Hardware 2011 Recommended Buy," it would be a legit board.
m
l
a c 851 à CPUs
a c 152 K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 10:10:24 PM

it is a fine board and does not have the SATA issue it was released after the fix!
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 10:13:42 PM

No it's fine.
m
l
!