Closed Solved

Budget Desktop/Monitor for World of Warcraft

Hello, Forum friends of Tom's Hardware !
I'm looking to build a budget desktop for WoW. (Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft)

I'm on a budget of US $600 that is semi flexible because I know a decent monitor is going to cost me a little bit extra.
I'm wanting to be able to have a GPU (nothing shared graphics integrated) and a pretty nice Screen to view the wonderful colors of Darnassus and the Heavy orange shades of Orgrimar.

If you can help me build this I would surely appreciate it. I prefer my website to be TigerDirect.com

My main system usage will be WoW+Ventrilo/Mumble (an alternative VoIP client to Ventrilo)+fraps. + 20 addons for to customize the WoW GUI.

MY budget
is semi flexible at the very most of US $150.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget desktop monitor world warcraft
  1. Hello,

Wow is very easy to run.

There's a nice $120 GPU card on newegg from HIS, look under best sellers.
    Get a $80 motherboard with a socket 775 for the cpu (most common)
    Get an entry quad core for $120 and OC it.
    You wont need much in the power supply catagory just find a good review 500 watt for $50
    Don't spend over $80 on a case, there are lots of cool ones for under 80. get a $20 cd/dvd drive. Get a 7200rpm hdd, size doesn't matter, 500gigs is more than nearly anyoen will ever use. that will cost you $40. What is gonna cost you is the operating system. Windows 7 is about $100. And then we get to the screen. I play wow on a 32" LG LCD 1080p tv. Best $300 bucks I've ever spent.
    But, there are some very nice $160 24" screens.
    That would put you at :
    160-screen
    100-os
    40-hdd
    20-cd/dvd
    80-case
    50-psu
    120-cpu
    80-mobo
    120-gpu

That puts you at $760 with a very capable computer. It would be 600 without the screen, and 500 without the OS. Usually when people quote up computers they forget these things.
  2. Thank you Circulate I do appreciate the very timely response. Although I don't have the ability to shell out 300 dollars for a Hi Def TV I will consider that in the future. I'm wanting to know if you or anyone else could provide links to the online sources for each of the hardware components I am going to need to buy. Thanx again. I'm honestly considering running Wine over a linux distro as a possibility . But 100gigs is going to be designated to Windows/WoW and the rest a flavor of Linux.

circulate said:
    Hello,

Wow is very easy to run.

You wont need much in the power supply catagory just find a good review 500 watt for $50
    Don't spend over $80 on a case, there are lots of cool ones for under 80. get a $20 cd/dvd drive. Get a 7200rpm hdd, size doesn't matter, 500gigs is more than nearly anyoen will ever use. that will cost you $40. What is gonna cost you is the operating system. Windows 7 is about $100. And then we get to the screen. I play wow on a 32" LG LCD 1080p tv. Best $300 bucks I've ever spent.
    That would put you at :
    160-screen
    100-os
    40-hdd
    20-cd/dvd
    80-case
    50-psu
    120-cpu
    80-mobo
    120-gpu

That puts you at $760 with a very capable computer. It would be 600 without the screen, and 500 without the OS. Usually when people quote up computers they forget these things.
  3. Dirtyferet has an okay build there, I believe you can get a better comp for the price, and remember the price he's linking doesn't include OS or Screen.
  4. Best answer
    circulate said:
    Hello,

Wow is very easy to run.

That would put you at :
    160-screen
    100-os
    40-hdd
    20-cd/dvd
    80-case
    50-psu
    120-cpu
    80-mobo
    120-gpu

Suggesting a LGA775 Socket is flawed, it's not the most comon and extremely hard to find these days. He needs a Socket LGA 1155 or 1366 as there are a multitude of motherboard Intel CPUs avaliable for these sockets.

Honestly if you're looking to build a budget system and you plan on overclocking the CPU, go with AMD.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU - 3.40GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5692033&CatId=4431
  5. I honestly don't know how to overclock a CPU but if it helps bolster my system i might give it a try
  6. So can y'all compile all this useful information with links(that I can buy these products in) with full compatibility ?
  7. Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Desktops World Of Warcraft Monitors Systems