Ati vs nvidia 2011 500 series vs 6900 series

youngblood1017

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Not many people have been asking lately; witch to pick from the kind of budget graphics cards both Nvidia and Ati are making. theres the 6950 to the 6970 from Ati and the 560 to the 570 from Nvidia. Ati has higher clock rates and usually more memory but they are rumored to not work well with Intel based systems. i suppose thats why they don't exceed Nvidia in most of the bench marks but is this even true. why does Nvidia beat Ati in most bench marks, i mean there clock rates are much slower and they have less memory. please explain.

Solution
AMD video cards work fine with Intel motherboards.

nVidia tends to contribute money to game developers which is used to fund the development of the game. For that contribution, nVidia sometimes get a "Plays better with nVidia" video (or something like that) when the game is launch. More importantly, the game developers makes sure that the game is better tweaked for nVidia cards.

AMD does the same thing, but not as often as nVidia, to ensure the game developer devotes more time to ensure better performance on their cards.

Of course it can also do with the GPU's architecture in how efficiently it process instructions.
AMD video cards work fine with Intel motherboards.

nVidia tends to contribute money to game developers which is used to fund the development of the game. For that contribution, nVidia sometimes get a "Plays better with nVidia" video (or something like that) when the game is launch. More importantly, the game developers makes sure that the game is better tweaked for nVidia cards.

AMD does the same thing, but not as often as nVidia, to ensure the game developer devotes more time to ensure better performance on their cards.

Of course it can also do with the GPU's architecture in how efficiently it process instructions.

Solution

Timop

Distinguished
Nvidia beats AMD/ATI in this generation in "pure performance" because AMD changed strategies and had the 32nm dilemma. Thus, AMD decided not to compete with the GTX 580 but to slot the 6950 in between.

Driver optimization is one thing, but that was the issue since forever.

IIRC, AMD/ATI still has better performance/mm2, meaning that is entirely possible for AMD to beat Nvidia with a "super single-GPU card", but their halo products are the dual-GPU 6990&GTX590, which performs rather identically.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Basically if you look at benchmarks it can go both ways. Some have AMD cards with better FPS some have Nvidia. For crossfire/SLI mode with 2 cards or more it seems AMD has passed Nvidia for now. Also Value I believe AMD has that in the bag...Will a 580 have better FPS than a 6970 yes. Will it be worth an extra $150 I dont think so.

youngblood1017

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
i know where you got your #'s, techpowerup.com. However tech power up hasn't done an extensive study on this and others have. What Ive learned is though the 6970 is one level down from the 6990 witch competes well in performance with the 590 witch has the same relationship to the 580 that the 6990 does with the 6970, the 6970 gets blown away by the 580 and even the 570 witch is why Ive decided to get but picked the 2.5gb version from Evga.

0ozee

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
the clock speeds doesnt matter when comparing nvidia vs ati, since they use completly different architecture, with nvidia having cuda cores and ati going for high shader clock.

IT_Architect

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Here are some things I learned when researching video cards for the Dell Precision M6600

- The two brands of video cards are nVidia, and ATI/AMD. The choices are the default AMD FirePro M8900, or Quadro 3000M (+$300), 4000M (+$740), or 5010M (+$1640).
- The ATI is by far the cheapest, and for games and normal use, performs a lot better than all but the most expensive nVidia. The M8900 will outperform both the 3000M and 4000M in this realm.
- The nVidia is far faster with CAD, and other programs designed to leverage the nVidia API, such as even Photoshop.
- The nVidias also work with the i5 and i7 embedded video through what is called Optimus, to where the video card is not processing at all, and sending the information from the CPU. This can result in large improvements in battery life.
- ATI/AMD HD3D.UVD3 includes support for DivX and Xvid via MPEG-4 Part 2 decoding and Blu-ray 3D via MVC. along with 120Hz stereo 3D support, and is optimized to need less CPU power. HDMI 1.4a hardware support for television connections is ahead of nVidia. NVidia is firmly backing active shutter glasses -- the battery-powered specs that shift between your left and right eyes to create the 3D effect -- and the only glasses you can get for 3D Vision are made by NVidia. AMD graphics cards will support all kinds of 3D, including passive polarized and eventually glasses-free displays, and it has no plans to produce its own eyewear. That job will go out to third-parties for consumers to choose on their own. Oakley showed off the glasses, high-wrap lenses and three-point fit. AMD should have a bigger market for home entertainment use. Passive 3D requires a different kind of monitor than active shutter, and AMD already pledges to support passive displays from Zalmon Trimon and iZ3D, with more to come. It's not clear whether AMD will support existing 3D monitors, such as those from Samsung and Acer, but probably not, because they're intended for use with Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. Most 3D televisions, all of which use active shutter, should work fine using their own proprietary eyewear.
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Pro requires M4000 or better and combines software, 3D Vision Pro active shutter glasses, and a robust radio-based control hub with 120Hz panels and projectors. It is seen as a more robust and mature solution.
- Overall, you get a lot more raw power for the money with the ATI/AMD, but you get a lot more sophistication and efficiency from the nVidia.
- If I take my 6-year-long view of my experiences in the business, the ATI/AMD has given me far less trouble, while the nVidias have given me more expandability and capabilities.

TRENDING THREADS