Need Motherboard for i5 3570k build

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Build
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
August 18, 2012 7:42:23 PM

My friend is looking to build a computer real soon and I haven't really looked into hardware since 2011. This forum helped me finalize my purchase. He has everything picked out so far except the motherboard

i5 3570k
gtx 660ti (PCI express 3.0 card)
2 sticks of DDR3 1600mhz ram

So he's looking for a motherboard to house the i5 3570k but has to also support PCI express 3.0. The ones we found have been Micro sized boards. I've been seeing so many 2.0 boards also but figure that would only hurt performance?

He'll be buying from Newegg and Microcenter

Thank You

More about : motherboard 3570k build

a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 7:50:53 PM

Eroge said:
My friend is looking to build a computer real soon and I haven't really looked into hardware since 2011. This forum helped me finalize my purchase. He has everything picked out so far except the motherboard

i5 3570k
gtx 660ti (PCI express 3.0 card)
2 sticks of DDR3 1600mhz ram

So he's looking for a motherboard to house the i5 3570k but has to also support PCI express 3.0. The ones we found have been Micro sized boards. I've been seeing so many 2.0 boards also but figure that would only hurt performance?

He'll be buying from Newegg and Microcenter

Thank You

Any Z77 chipset based motherboard will have PCI-E Gen 3.0 support. The PCI-E 3.0 will allow you to better utilize your bandwidth for multi-GPU configurations. The performance gain from PCI-E 2.0 to PCI-E 3.0 in SINGLE GPU environments is typically less than a single percent, but the gains are much larger in multi-GPU setups.

Either way, try the ASUS's P8Z77 series, they are either full ATX or mATX. Or the MSI GD65/55 series, like this one:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Reviewed and awarded by Toms, HardOCP (one of their favs), and so on.

m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 8:26:31 PM

Thank you for the replies. I'm happy to see there are some nice boards to choose from.

Besides the ability to hold 2 graphics cards, what else determines such a large price difference? One board is $94 while another is $175. For my own build I went with the cheapest $75 motherboard because it had everything I needed. What do you get extra by buying an expensive one?

m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 8:34:32 PM

Eroge said:
Thank you for the replies. I'm happy to see there are some nice boards to choose from.

Besides the ability to hold 2 graphics cards, what else determines such a large price difference? One board is $94 while another is $175. For my own build I went with the cheapest $75 motherboard because it had everything I needed. What do you get extra by buying an expensive one?

Market, mostly, then features. That MSI board can be occasionally had for 139.99. So it can't be "WORTH" 175 bucks. That is mostly market pricing.

The features wise, you are paying big bucks for things like

Thunderbolt connectivity
Number of USB3.0 ports
Other fancy things included with the board like Wifi, Dual LAN, etc....

If you don't use or care about those things, then expensive boards are not for you.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2012 9:51:36 PM

Eroge said:

Mostly extra features, ports and software. Stuff most people will never use.
m
l
!