Booting for 4 sec, then it dies.

Heken

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
As confirmed in a eariler thread my new PSU, XFX 750W was broken so I had to send it back to get a new one. Meanwhile I tried to boot up my new rig with my old PSU, Corsair 400W. When everything is connected, it all the fans starts to spin for 4-5 seconds, then the whole computer shuts down again, then it tries to boot up again but dies, etc. So is it that my old PSU is too weak to boot up my new system or is it something else that is wrong?

System:

MB: MSI P67A-GD65 (3B)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k 3,3gHz
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 560 TI CUII TOP
RAM: 2x4 GB Corsair 1600 hz
HDD: WD 1TB, 7200 RPM 6g/s

400W too weak?

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
It's possible, though a Corsair 400W should still hold up pretty well unless it was in use for a long time and no longer able to produce the output it once had. It may be worth while to look for a short in your system or a poor contact somewhere. double check your mounting screws on the board, and make sure none of the wires or boards are loose.

Heken

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Ok its not that its too weak, cos I even removed the GPU and still it did not boot :/. So annoying. The MB can't be broken?

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
well when you removed the GPU and tried to boot, does your motherboard have integrated graphics to fall back on without it? It needs one or the other to even attempt a successful boot. If you don't have an integrated graphics chip you swap in a lower powered GPU if you have one and try that.

There is a possibility that the board is broken, but rule out every other possibility first before you conclude that. You may have to fall back on the warranty for the board if everything else checks out

Heken

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I found out what cause this error. Apparently the pins on the motherboard which connect the CPU, are broken. Ive not caused this myself, so it has to be the delivery company or MSI themself.